Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Good old Ronnie Biggs
  • duckman

I don’t really care about him, just being devils advocate. There was an element of trying to make sure the penalty for carrying out a robbery such as this would be so harsh, nobody else would try it….yup, that worked.

grizzlygus
    Free Member

RepacK – Member

So he wasnt the Boss – so what?

Well actually I was hoping that you would help me with that question. Because apparently you think that his role in the robbery is significant to this thread.

Well at least that’s how I took it when you commented ” The Master Mind of a vicious gang”

I get the impression RepacK, that you’ve come to an opinion before discovering he facts. Or at least trying to get the facts to fit your opinion.

I have to say that I’m not entirely sure whether it’s supposed to be done that way round.

TandemJeremy – you still haven’t told me how many prisoners there are of the same age as Biggs. Any ideas ? I know you’ve suggested ‘plenty’, but I just wondered what that meant. Biggs is 80 btw, so just the number over 80 will do.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The only thing I could find was 400+ over 70. I did not intend that to be taken literally – as “plenty over 80” but “plenty of elderly disabled and ill men”. Of the 400 over 70 85% are chronically ill and / or disabled.

He is not in a unique position was my point.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

“An 80-year-old confused man [in this prison] is unable to look after himself. We do not yet know whether he was known to social services but it seems likely. He has a five-year sentence for indecent exposure which is not surprising since he continually takes his clothes off.”

http://www.prisonreformtrust.org.uk/standard.asp?id=1686

Perhaps more deserving of a campaign for his release?

grizzlygus
    Free Member

Oh ok then …… it’s possibly just a few, and not necessarily ‘plenty’.

Which means that it’s not really significant to whether or not Biggs is kept banged up.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Robbery has a sentence of life, there is no such offence as armed robbery. Being armed just aggravates the offence and means you will probably get additional time added to your sentence.

I think that whether people think 30 years is a harsh sentence or not that is what the trial Judge handed down. Biggs evaded capture… he has to do the time, like everyone else.
    Would people be saying this if it was a rape? murder? manslaughter? Just giving food for thought.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Conspiracies to commit an offence also hold the full offence sentence. So if you conspire to commit a robbery, even if it is a very minor part you can expect the full sentence (whether that is given or not is another matter) surely you would be fully aware of what you are conspiring to commit!

grizzlygus
    Free Member

Would people be saying this if it was a rape? murder? manslaughter? Just giving food for thought.

Indeed Munqe-chick ……….. I bet it would put a whole new angle on things if Biggs had raped, murdered and eaten his victims.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Who knows what the right answer is in this day and age of the European Convention of Human Rights! I’m not willing to speculate!

grizzlygus
    Free Member

Who knows what the right answer is ……

Well I think we ought to know the answer.

What about ‘parking tickets’ ?

What would the answer be if it was ‘parking tickets’ ?

El-bent
    Free Member

Who knows what the right answer is in this day and age of the European Convention of Human Rights!

Another officer of the law criticizing the human rights convention. I mean, would you believe it.

He committed a crime, evaded doing time, and then comes back when he is ill. The sentence whether those here believe it was appropriate or not, still stands.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

How about we have parole for all over 80yrs old?

Nick

I’d probably let him out, kind of feels better to be compassionate even if he wasn’t/isn’t, don’t think it serves anything or anyone to punish him just for the sake of it or to make some kind of point because we’re pissed off that he ‘got away with it’.

Edit:

Blimey, he’s been back 8 years now, that went fast, so has done 10 of his 30. Yep, I’d grant parole on compassionate grounds.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I haven’t criticized ECHR at all thank you! I was purely mentioning that now we have HR things have changed.

Can’t saying anything on this forum any more without getting torn to shreds/presuptiom of opinions.

aracer
    Free Member

What about ‘parking tickets’ ?

What would the answer be if it was ‘parking tickets’ ?
    He should serve his full sentence in that case. I mean that’s a very serious crime, not like those namby pamby things you suggest like raping his victims after he’s eaten and then murdered them. I suppose if it was traffic wardens he’d raped, eaten and murdered that might be a different matter – after all everybody loves a traffic warden, so in that case they should throw away the key.

grizzlygus
    Free Member

I haven’t criticized ECHR at all thank you!

That’s quite true Munqe-chick, you didn’t. I think we might have a case here of a presumption by El-bent, based on his own prejudice.

Although imo I reckon you’re possibly be getting a tad sensitive about being ‘ torn to shreds’ ….

El-bent
    Free Member

based on his own prejudice.

A presumption in itself. Pot calling…

grizzlygus
    Free Member

But not of course, if you post the whole quote El-bent, ie :

“I think we might have a case here of a presumption by El-bent, based on his own prejudice.”

What are you El-bent ……. a journalist ?

grizzlygus
    Free Member

….. or maybe a politician ?

Or simply, just someone who likes ‘half-truths’ ?

grizzlygus
    Free Member

I don’t believe this ……

I start off on this thread sticking up for Ronnie Biggs. And end up, sticking up for a copper.

How the **** did that happen ? 😯

El-bent
    Free Member

You’re right, because if I post the whole quote it makes it look even more presumptuous.

What are you El-bent ……. a journalist ?

A journalist? 😆

grizzlygus
    Free Member

Why is that funny ….. can’t you write ?

RepacK
    Free Member

You know what Guss if its more important for you to to pick holes in my argument then fair enough – I made a mistake, I admit it..But you still have yet to convince me why Biggs should be allowed to walk?

El-bent
    Free Member

I start off on this thread sticking up for Ronnie Biggs. And end up, sticking up for a copper.

How the **** did that happen ?

Because you, like a number of us here don’t believe that if you don’t like someone, something, and organisation, a belief or political system etc, then everything associated with it is wrong, Like vegetarianism being associated with a certain mustached fellow from Austria.

Munque-chick doing the job she does should know that the remark made about ECHR could draw criticism. I merely wanted to illicit a response, something that yourself and others do when you want to find out what the thinking behind the statement was.

Why is that funny ….. can’t you write ?

I was hoping that it wouldn’t come to petty insults like this Gus.

grizzlygus
    Free Member

I was hoping that it wouldn’t come to petty insults

Why would you consider it to be an insult ? An ability, or lack of ability, to write, makes very little impression on me. After all, I’m hardly an intellectual myself. I was merely intrigued why the suggestion of ‘journalist’ caused you to laugh.

Munque-chick doing the job she does should know that the remark made about ECHR could draw criticism

Munque-chick is a punter like everyone else on here. And when she posts on here she’s ‘off duty’. So she doesn’t have to ‘behave’ in any particular way – she can behave just how she likes. She doesn’t have to be ‘fair’ or ‘reasonable’ or anything else, which I would expect a copper to be. In fact, as far as I’m concerned she can be as rude, and as unreasonable, and as bigoted, and as aggressive, as any other herbert on this forum. By all means pull her up as you would anyone else, but keep the fact that she’s a copper out of it – it’s got **** all to do with it……. IMHO 🙄

EDIT : Unless of course the topic is policing, and Munque-chick chooses to speak in her capacity as a WPC, then for obvious reasons it’s a completely different kettle of fish.

And btw Hitler wasn’t a vegetarian. That’s just a myth that’s been put about – he didn’t eat much meat, but he did eat it.

El-bent
    Free Member

An ability, or lack of ability, to write, makes very little impression on me

Really? So why bring it up at all? You could have just asked why I laughed at the Journalist bit?

Fair enough if thats what you think with the Munque-chick bit, I would merely add that you have to be careful when commentating on an issue that can be associated with your profession. Its what you don’t say that gets you into trouble around these parts. 😉

You will need to read my line on the vegetarianism bit, I didn’t say he was one.

grizzlygus
    Free Member

Really? So why bring it up at all?

Yes, really. Although I have to confess it did occur to me that you might not share my healthy contempt for intellectual prowess.

Fair enough if thats what you think with the Munque-chick bit

Yeah, well, it winds me up a bit, because I know that if Munque-chick were to come on here acting the ‘copper’ all the time, then she would undoubtedly get stick for it. Plus people really can’t have it both ways, they can’t on the one hand expect coppers to behave like just anyone else, but then on the other hand, refuse to treat them like anyone else. Of course Munque-chick could have refused to reveal that she was a WPC, as others might well choose to, but that would hardly help the cause of challenging preconceived prejudices.

You will need to read my line on the vegetarianism bit, I didn’t say he was one.

You will need to read my post, I didn’t say that you said he was one.

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Good old Ronnie Biggs’ is closed to new replies.