Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Good Munro in the Highlands for next week?
  • Joe

I’m heading out to the highlands with a lady of questionable athletic character.

We’re going to be out in the far far north-west (Cape Wrath kinda way) on a job in a couple days and I want to do a day walk/potential overnight WITH winter camp, the following weekend before heading back down south. Somewhere photographic would be nice (she is a photographer!).

I have crampons for both of us, although she is inexperienced and I’d prefer not to take her up anything hugely technical.

Any suggestions? Perhaps on Skye?

seven
    Free Member

she is inexperienced and I’d prefer not to take her up anything hugely technical.

Any suggestions? Perhaps on Skye?

those are 2 contradictory sentence, especially at this time of year 🙂

does it need to be a munro? lots of nice hills just short of that height.

If you’re that far up Fionaven is a fab hill. and just 2m short of munro height

seven
    Free Member

soz, double post

worldrallyteam
    Free Member

Ben More – just for the views

Suilven – again panoramic views but with snow coverage a little daunting the ridge is a metre wide .Need axe and crampons

Stac Poly…

BikePawl
    Free Member

Ben Hope the most northerly Munro, easy walking all the way up. And it would be very close to where you are.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Only done Ben Lawyers and Ben Glas but both were very pleasant with easy access and great views of Loch Tay.

stever
    Free Member

Quinag is a fantastic non-Munro and should have be good for pics. An Teallach is more fantastic but too exciting for non-technical. Good pics from near road if you’re passing? Red Cuillin maybe if you really want to go to Skye?

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Bring snowshoes, and good gear. If the weather is as bad as it’s forecast to be, things could be challenging. Is your nav. 100%?

Joe

Yes. My nav is good. I’ve done quite a lot of climbing in the Karakorum and am happy with the conditions. If conditions are awful on the ground we wouldn’t go up…its just a plan if things turn out well.

13thfloormonk

Suilven would get my vote, bothy at the foot of it as well if thats your thing. Alternatively you could walk in via the falls of kirkaig, definitely the better walk in.

The view when you reach the bealach in the middle is stunning.

druidh
    Free Member

There’s a lovely wee Munro called Maol Chean-Dearg, just south of Torridon which has a bothy at its foot. It’s an easy walk in, with no steep ground to worry about if your navigation is OK. On a good day, you get a stunning view of Liathach and Beinn Eighe. GR NG924498.

2003-02-09 123357 by druidh_dubh, on Flickr

Staying further north, you should go for Conival, with an optional extension to Ben Mor Assynt. The climb is straightforward and the ridge between the two is also easy enough. The views are of Suilven etc with the Hebrides as a backdrop. GR NC303199.

2002-10-20 131330 by druidh_dubh, on Flickr

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Good Munro in the Highlands for next week?’ is closed to new replies.