Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Good bearings to put in Hope hubs
  • seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Any views as to which is the best and most economical bearings to stick in Hope XC hubs. I believe 6001 is the size.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Anything well-packed with grease.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Thats a bit ambiguous. I see you are living up to your user name!

Is that not like saying one tyre just rolls on the floor like another.

CHB

Best, or most economical. Can't have both.

cynic-al
    Free Member

My point/view is that whether they are well greased is more important than other factors, as long as the quality is not rubbish.

I don't know what your tyre comment is intended to mean.

lyons
    Free Member

hi mate, did you see i'm interested in your pedals?

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

hope ones? 😉

nickc

As per cynical really whatever bearings you get, just prise off the seals and squirt in a whole bunch of grease before you fit them, it'll make the world of difference to their longevity

simonlovesrocks
    Free Member

Well unless we go into bearing types which is pointless imo just stick with brands like fag and skf. they are always aprox 30% more than budget options but represent better value for money in the long run.

Best place to buy is a local bearing stockist, (thats where bike shops go to, i remember going into city seals in Sheffield and they knew exactly what the bearing we for and were used to dealing with JEJames )

Colin-T

I usually use ones from the local bearing shop.

Cheap. Seem to last long enough. Maybe I'm now changing them every 2 years instead of 3….

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Lyons emailed you mate regarding the pedals.

neilforrow

skf ones for about £2.50 from

http://www.akbearings.co.uk/

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Maybe my comment about the best and most economical was a paradox then!

I think someone has 6001 bearings on ebay for just over a quid each. Unbraded though. SKF ones just under 3 quid.

simonlovesrocks
    Free Member

SKF are worth it got stung by some of the ebay ones you end up changing the bearing every three/four rides NOT GOOD !

trb
    Free Member

wot simon said, and buy a few spares – you'll notice that it's mainly the rear drive side that goes, so you just need to replace that one most of the time.

Tracey

I use City Seals as well. Got a stock of them in the boot just in case

Tracey

foxyrider
    Free Member

Right well the Pro II hope bearing pack is £20 – so 5 x £3 SKS bearings is £15 + Postage – So £20 over 3 years tis not a lot 🙂 Can't be arsed to quibble so I just go for the hope ones 🙂

But my mate got some for £1 each so he's being the guinea pig 🙂

uplink
    Free Member

I tend to stick with names I know
    I had a cheapy ebay one collapse on me, miles from anywhere

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

I will go for some Koyo ones then. Most of the japanese motorbikes and cars use them. I think I once used some of them cheapo ones in some DT hubs and they rolled like they had magnets in them.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I got some hope ones on ebay for not much money. I second the grease thing Marine grease is good.

dickydutch

On a slight tangent – does anybody have problems popping the seal cap off the rear drive side on a hope spxc3? I cannot, for love nor money, get that thing to pop off……

foxyrider
    Free Member

Put it in a vice and pull – all teh Hope end caps become stiff after a while 🙂

alanf
    Free Member

I think there's a rubber o-ring in the end caps.
    I use a couple of plastic tyre levers to pop the caps if they're really tight (one either side), and doesn't mark the caps

dickydutch

The wheels are only 6 months old, but could do with a service after Kielder 100. Ill try the plastic tyre levers, but not sure how theyre going to get any purchase. The cap is sitting pretty flush with the part below it?

foxyrider
    Free Member

I just literally did it on my mates bike and on mine – I don't care about marking the end caps as its only cosmetic – you put it in a vice covered in a cloth to minimise it (or an old inner tube) – put the whole wheel in and then pull – easy – I first try with a mole wrench and wiggle them off with a cloth/inner tube wrapped around it – DO NOT pull on the outer part of the end cap pull on the hard metal which clamps agains the frame otherwise you will bust it 🙂

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Another question. Do you oil or grease the pawls and springs on Hope XC freehubs?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Wee dab of grease, not buckets.

joolsburger
    Free Member

There are detailed service videos on Youtube for hope hubs.

foxyrider
    Free Member

yup anotherdeadhero +1

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Good bearings to put in Hope hubs’ is closed to new replies.