• This topic has 98 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by tron.
Viewing 19 posts - 81 through 99 (of 99 total)
  • Golf GTi … lower BHP model – any good?
  • jam-bo

had the rears replaced when it stayed on for a while. this isn't a wheel sensor fault, its the pump throwing out errors.

mine eats front tyres though. new set every 8-10,000 at the moment.

mpg is pretty good though, currently averaging 36mpg on a very hilly B road commute and got 42 mpg on a run into plymouth the other day.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Blimey! Used to get 15,000+ out of a set of front tyres (Eagle F1s every time)!

Getting 8kish from my BM rears though and they are pricey tyres as well 🙁

jam-bo

i used to get a lot more doing motorway/normal driving.

dartmoor miles is hard on cars, the 17 miles from tavi to ashburton isnt straight for more than about 100 yds. fun though….

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Jam – love driving on Dartmoor. Had loads of fun there – always a bit worried about hitting a sheep though!

Cycling on it is even more fun.

jam-bo

the sheep and ponies are fine once you get used to them.

head down and eating, they arent moving.

head up, expect them to jump in front of you.

late night is interesting as they sleep on the road. the tourists are worse.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Good tips!

And watch for the thieves if you leave your car anywhere on it…

Wife's aunt and uncle live in (snigger) Crapstone and know a few people in Yelverton. My inlaws have a gaff in nearby(ish) Newton Ferrers. Nice part of the SW.

Pieface

I thought the T stood for Turbo.

What a load of bobbins

molgrips
    Free Member

No, GT stands for Grand Tourer, which is the old term for basically a comfy sports car (AFAIK). i just means fuel injection, of course.

Not all GTis are or have been turbos. The original wasn't.

Re tyres, I'm sure this is in no way of interest to you lot but I will say anyway, I've so far got 18k miles from a set of Michelin Energy tyres and they are looking barely worn at all – they look like delivering staggering longevity.

jools182
    Free Member

@flyingmonkeycorps

looking for about £3500 for it

flyingmonkeycorps

I'd best get saving then 😉

NorthernStar
    Free Member

If you're going to get a second car then you may as well get something exciting and fun. How about these which should be inside your budget:

Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo – fabulous 5 cylinder engine, striking looks, fastest production FWD car at the time (possibly still is?), 0-100 14.5 secs, 155 top end, 28mpg, 4 proper seats and a decent size boot (much more reliable than people think – but do take some looking after though).

Honda Civic Type R – super practical, very very reliable, revtastic engine, (great B road weapon if you can look past the now slightly chavy image).

Peugeot 306 Gti/Rallye – not as fast as the two above but one of the best drivers cars around. Fast, fun, practical and cheap. Take one of these to the twisties and you'll be smiling for weeks.

tron
    Free Member

Thread from the dead!

I'd sidestep or at least very carefully look over any high mileage VR6 Rado / MK3. The bores can go oval at high mileages.

The 2L 150bhp MK3 (ABF engine) is pretty good, lasts well and was supposedly designed with one of the VAG rally teams in mind (SEAT?), so will run to 170bhp with pretty minimal modification.

ski
    Free Member

jools182 – Member

@flyingmonkeycorps

looking for about £3500 for it

Darn, I wish I had that sort of money, I would love a clean a Mk1, good luck with the sale Jools.

Anyone got experience of the volkswagen golf syncro, what were they like to own?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

ski – rare, not very fast, heavy. Not the best VW Golf on the road IMO.

You could always get a crazy "Country" – a jacked up slightly mad mk2 Golf!

tron
    Free Member

OTOH the Syncro is a good basis for the sillier conversions you might consider – the Haldex diff from an R32 can be fitted, giving electronically controllable front/rear power splits.

A 1.8T Syncro would be a laugh, but for ultimate cornering speed, a quaife or Peloquin diff in a well set up FWD MK2 is better. The 4WD cars lose the rear wheel steering which was built into the FWD Golf's suspension.

suburban
    Free Member

oh one of my riding mates has a Country, actually he had 2! I like it a lot, but LHD only.

306 is a great chassis V cheap, but very french. Gets a bike in with both wheels off. The fiat coupe i ruled out as no way of getting a bike in it. But surprisingly capable. Ditto for the integra, have to rev the nuts off it though.

What about a Mondeo ST220, performance bargain and it does handle well.

I have a 1994 100 S4 avant which gets a bike in with the wheels on no problem at all. Vast and fast… although fantastically crap mpg.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

ST220 is a good car but also tragically thirsty.

Aus
    Free Member

In case anyone's interested … I bought A Gti 16V, Mk 3, 64K, FSH, 2 oewner, all paperwork, including the original factory installed Nokia phone (more like a brick). The guy who had it was an enthusiast and has had it rechipped – he claimed it's made a tad of low revs difference, but a sig mpg difference. I've done c. 500miles and avg 40mpg so pretty chuffed. Car's certainly not extra speedy by today's standards, but seems fun, feels quick, and hopefully will be great vfm

tron
    Free Member

What chip? I've heard that a reprofiled throttle body and a chip can make a big difference to the MK3 ABF (that's the one you have).

Could be so crude as to ask what money too? I'm in the market for a new car soon 😆

Viewing 19 posts - 81 through 99 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘Golf GTi … lower BHP model – any good?’ is closed to new replies.