• This topic has 98 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by tron.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 99 total)
  • Golf GTi … lower BHP model – any good?
  • Aus
    Free Member

Looking at getting a 1999 (low mileage) Golf GTi 1.8 (non turbo) 125 bhp model. Using for local trips and some longer motorway drives. I like the price(!), leather, comfort, spec etc but wondering if it'll be fun (a bit of zip and motorway cruising comfort ie. not revving too hard) or a bit breathless?

Anyone got any experience of it?

Cheers

tonyg2003

Absolutely the low spot of GTI history. It not so different from any standard other 2.0 petrol car. Fairly boring and defintely not fast or worthy of the badge. TDi owners will be overtaking you for fun.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

the original gti only had about 100bhp – however that was considerably lighter than that one. The 125bhp will feel pretty underpowered for a gti and not much nippier than an average hatchback.

jam-bo

or, ignore the GTi badge and look at the spec level/price.

Pigface
    Free Member

Look at it like the old Golf Driver.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

No but my friend had one for several years and we went on several road trips with it, TBH its a bit of a cheak to call it a GTI, its not fast or sporty, and most family hatches have more power these days. He also had a load of problems with it i.e. electrics, head gasket, and was glad to get rid of it.
    I am sure other people have had a better experience.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

^^^^^^^^
    What they said

Keva
    Free Member

what year did the Golf GTIs start to pick up again ?

Aus
    Free Member

Mmmmm – doesn't sound too inspiring. Wanted something that had a smidgeon of fun / zip. Moving from a VR6 Corrado so that'll prob make it seem worse!

Anyone tried the 180bhp GTi of the same era. A bit more expensive but I imagine, more fun?

flyingmonkeycorps

Mmm, VR6 Corrado. I keep looking at those and thinking I really ought to save up a few more quid.

The MK5 GTi is generally considered when they got good again, I believe. A 180 will have a bit more oomph, but still be soft and saggy in the corners… And unless it's been really well maintained the engine could well give you a lot of trouble. The 1.8T is good, but not as bulletproof as the VW rep would have you believe.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

What about a car that isnt made by volkswagen?

If your middle aged and ride at trail centres, are you only allowed to drive volkswagens?

Keva
    Free Member

If your middle aged and ride at trail centres, are you only allowed to drive volkswagens?

Don't those people drive Audis ?

clydebuilt
    Free Member

I have a 180 one of these, contrary to the above it has been bulletproof (going strong at 135k) and is fine in the corners…

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

No no no no no.

That is a dreadful engine riddled with issues. VW very quicly pulled production. The 2.0GTi is slightly better (but lower powered at 115bhp) but the 1.8T is the one to have – even then it's pretty average. And despite being slow, they all attract silly insurance premiums.

Get a 2.0 Focus for far better handling with a nicer engine and much cheaper insurance.

br
    Free Member

Don't those people drive Audis ?

But they are made by VAG too.

Audis = Volkswagons for golfers, or when you think you've made it.

dooosuk
    Free Member

If you're after a Mk4 Golf I'd be looking at the V6 4motions or R32's otherwise you'll be regretting getting rid of the Corrado.

ski
    Free Member

Wonder what the new Polo Gti drives like?

That must be the same size or bigger than the MK1 gti now?

OP – If you are looking to use it for local trips/motorway chilling it will be fine, just don't expect it to excite you.

A Gti with low milage & Leather will always be easy to sell on for the badge, as long as its been looked after and not a silly colour or modded.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Not worth it.

Insurance companies love anything badged "GTI" and as a GTI afficionado of old I was quite shocked as to how ordinary the MkIV car actually was.

You'd be better served buying a 1.6 or Seat Leon something or other.

meehaja
    Free Member

I looked at a similar model.. but bare in mind the 1.6 standard golf has 105BHP IIRC, is group 5 insurance rather than 10, is less thirsty and still pretty quick. However, that era of VAG cars has a crap gear box that works fine when its working, but when it splits in half, dumping all the oil on the road it wont work at all and you're looking at about £2k to get a new one fitted (very few reconditioned boxes due to prolific failures!)

tron
    Free Member

Look at it like the old Golf Driver.

Exactly. VW UK badged them as GTIs as the name sells well here. Rest of the world had it as a 1.8 Golf.

I suspect a VR6 Corrado is about 170 brake in 1.1-1.2 tonnes? You'll want a 180bhp 1.8T or chip a 150bhp 1.8T GTI. Seat did a nice line in GTIalikes…

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

If you're after a Mk4 Golf I'd be looking at the V6 4motions or R32's otherwise you'll be regretting getting rid of the Corrado.

Even the standard V6 4 Motion handles poorly. Not sure what they did to the R32 but it handles about 12521512515 times better than all the other mk4s – I had one for a year and it was great.

ski – that age Polo GTi has 125bhp and was a fairly decent car. Lupo GTi drives better though and is pretty nippy.

PJM1974
    Free Member

A Corrado has a 2.9l V6 that produced 193bhp.

The chassis was fantastic too, the passive steer rear axle from the Passat made it feel very agile and wieldy on the road, far, far better than even a Mk2 Golf GTi – and that's saying a lot.

And yes, I've got plenty of driving experience of both.

justa
    Free Member

Didn't even know they did a 1.8 – the 2.0 was slow enough and doesn't deserve the GTi moniker – as others have said a Tdi will leave you for dead, use less fuel and cost less to insure….

It would be no replacement for a Corrado – one the best fwd cars ever !

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

A few people have mentioned the 2.0 'GTI'…

The UK was the only country in the world where the 2.0 Golf MK4 was even marketed as a GTI, everywhere else it was simply called the 2.0.

That's because it was just a 2.0.

The never less than greedy UK VAG dealership network wanted to cash in on this country's insatiable appetite for hot hatches and allegedly refused to stock it unless it was badged as a GTI.

That's what a salesman at Breeze Volkswagen in Poole told me anyway.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I seem to remember that all petrol engined VW's of that era were just plain shocking, and come to that the handling was pretty awful too.

ie dont get a VW !

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

justa – the 1.8 was actually more powerful than the 2.0 but a terrible engine and soon stopped.

My Aunt's 2.0 Golf was just labelled a 2.0 – not GTI on it anywhere. My sister has one labelled GTI though – it's a pretty naff engine. Thirsty and gutless.

Aus
    Free Member

thanks all – confirms my suspicion that it might be a tad dull. Does make me hugely regret selling the Corrado … goes back to scour for another one!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Aus – do you hate Ford/Hondas?

A Racing Puma is a fantastic car as is an older Integra Type R.

flyingmonkeycorps

I'm actually really tempted by a Puma (Racing or 1.7) – also looking for a car. Either that or a nice MKII GTi or Corrado!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Puma is the best handling FWD car I have ever driven. The Racing Puma is even better.

Beware Corrados – lovely cars but I know two people who have had them (one a G60, one a VR6) who had to spend silly money sorting out major issues with them – total money pits. Good ones last well though.

hora
    Free Member

Aus whats your budget?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Can't believe what TG said about the

best handling FWD car

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Can't believe what TG said about the

FFS I haven't actually heard TG ever mention the Puma. I have DRIVEN one many times not regurgitated media cr4p.

An Elan is a very niche and very expensive car. A Puma isn't.

Have you driven an Elan then?

Aus
    Free Member

surf-mat – no views on other makes, but have had 3 Corrado's in the past and loved each of them. Then moved to a family estate (yawn) and now in the position where I can 'justify' having a 2nd car! Thought a slightly more modern Golf might be a good option (and cheaper) than another Corrado. And have some VW experience that's been good so am biased from that point of view.

Not interested in having an outright sports car as need some practicality (3 dogs, 2 kids, often need a bit of room for work stuff etc) and some relative cost efficiency (my Corrado got low 30's mpg, nothing broke over 150K miles and consumables seemed reasonable).

Budget is £3.5K max – difficult to get a good C for that as they go for silly money. Lots of Golfs around at that price. Just not thought about others … except poss a Sub Impreza estate!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

3 dogs and two kids?! I think you might need something quite big!

If going for a Golf, I don't like the handling but you'll get a reasonable mk4 130bhp TDI for that sort of money. My sister has one with a nice spec and really likes it.

hora
    Free Member

2004 Subaru Legacy Sir?

[img]http://photo.netcarshow.com/Subaru-Legacy_Station_Wagon_2004_photo_01.jpg[/img]

cynic-al
    Free Member

An Elan is a very niche and very expensive car. A Puma isn't.

Have you driven an Elan then?

I've not driven one but it has a reputation for being the best FWD car EVER. And it's not expensive in the slightest!

footflaps

"Even the standard V6 4 Motion handles poorly. Not sure what they did to the R32 but it handles about 12521512515 times better than all the other mk4s – I had one for a year and it was great."

Just install the R32 ARB on the V6 4Motion and swap the springs for some stiffer ones and they handle identically – that is pretty much all that separates them chassis wise.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

R32 also has an engine brace (I seem to remember) and much better brakes. And more power. It all adds up.

hora
    Free Member

4motion 2.8 V6 is brilliant in a straight line and sounds great.

Agree on the Puma however its now long in the tooth.

WHY COULDNT FORWARD SELL ON THE TOOLING ETC TO SOMEONE ELSE?????????????????????

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘Golf GTi … lower BHP model – any good?’ is closed to new replies.