• This topic has 14 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by csb.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Going to Hong Kong soon…
  • mrjmt
    Free Member

Anything bike related worth looking to bring back?

Needs to be small enough to fit in luggage.

Although most stuff you can get online anyway with free delivery anyway!

Any advice on where to go for a spot of shopping would be good.

J-R

What about a spot of off roading? There are 2 or 3 interesting spots and you can hire bikes.

I found the HK Mountain Bike Assocation team very helpful on trails, etc:
    http://www.hkmba.org/

hora
    Free Member

From reading/friends- don’t ride in town/on the road. Its alittle hairy.

stewartc
    Free Member

Lots of stuff if you want to buy frames but most stuff is around 25-30% cheaper than the UK, in fact I was quoted 3800HKD (308GBP) today for a CC DBAirCS shock from a local bike shop. There is no import duty or sales tax here, plus shops work on smaller overheads.
    Email in profile if you want a list of shops to visit?

mrjmt
    Free Member

Stewart, YGM. 8)

We’re only there for 3 days so unfortunately no time for riding, just shopping and wandering.

TomB

When I lived there as a teenager (25years ago!), Flying Ball bike shop was the one, an amazing emporium, and where I got my first mountain bike, a KHS Montana Comp. Are they still going?

stewartc
    Free Member

Yes, they are still going Tom, Mr Lee must be rubbing his hands in glee judging by the number of new Nomads out there!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

A few other tips,

Bistro Manchu on Elgin. Have the roast lamb.
    Pirate’s at Stanley. Yes, it’s cheesy, but a lovely spot to sit outside with a beer and watch the world go by.
    Din tai fung. Might be a chain, bit oh my is it god!

MrGFisher
    Free Member

Had a six month posting there in 1997 just before the hand over. Would love to go back some day but imagine its changed a great deal. I still have a Mad Dogs rugby shirt somewhere.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

http://www.flyingball.com

Wall to wall bling. Friendly blokes too.

iain1775
    Free Member

Flying Ball is ace, well worth the trip out on the MTR
    Lots of stall selling magicshine lights cheap in the Mong Kok and Ladies market, fun to wander round and haggle

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

So good that they are 90 years ahead with the sc stock

enfht
    Free Member

WANCHAI TITTY BARS.

bear-uk
    Free Member

I would recommend a trip on the Red bus tour + the Vehicular railway to the mountain top.

csb

Tom, my first proper MTB was a KHS Montana comp from FB too! Still have one of their water bottles. Think it’s moved now. Was a proper aladdins cave back then next door to the aquarium shops.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Going to Hong Kong soon…’ is closed to new replies.