Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Go Pro helmet mounting. Your experience please
  • tthew

Received a Go Pro helmet cam for Christmas 😀 but the helmet mounts that came with it are no good for a vented helmet. Question is then, do I buy a vented helmet mount at about 20 quid, or go for a piss-pot lid in the sales for about 15. Anyone had a any particularly good or bad experience? Cheers.

singlespeedstu

Buy the chest mount instead.

tthew

I know that a lot favour that route, but I’m not keen on the way the angle changes when standing/sitting off the back etc. Oh, and more importantly it makes you look like you have 90 foot long arms.

Northwind

They usually come with the vented helmet strap?

The glued mounts are very strong so if you can find a place on the helmet to stick one of those on, I’d suggest that but that’s easier said than done on most curvy open face lids.

tthew

Not the 960HD one. It comes with like a miners lamp head strap thing that will stretch over the helmet and stop in place for tomorrow with some zip-ties but that’s not a permanent solution. Not enough flat space on the front of my current helmet to risk the sticky pads.

Northwind

Ah, they cut the accessory pack right down for the 960 didn’t they! Only 2 sticky pads as well.

DrDomRob
    Free Member

I got one too 😀

Ace aren’t they, awesome on the mountain bike but on the cyclocross bike I found the angle was too low to keep something stationary in shot to stop everyone watching getting seasick and get a decent view of the route ahead.

They get some top quality shots though.

tthew

Not tried it on the bike yet, but was pressed into good use last night filming Wii Just Dance action. Surprisingly good in low light levels, until I smashed a lamp and it became very low light levels. 😳

druidh
    Free Member

As said above, I don’t like the viewing angle with the helmet mount gives. Tends to make all trails look slow and uninteresting (plus it’s easily caught on low branches). I modified one of the sticky mounts so that it fits onto a rucksack shoulder strap (in front of, not above, my shoulder).

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Got one for christmas as well, the attachment on the pisspot seems very secure. Like the chest strap the best so far (almost forget its on whereas when its on my helmet i am a bit too conscious about smacking it off a branch!) just need to tinker about with the position a bit though.

Can help thinking about the possibilities for a few homemade movies too, dont think the girlfriend will be up for that though 🙁

tthew

@ druidh, that sounds like a good option. Is it a bit bouncy or do you have to really pull the shoulder straps up tight?

Omar, PMSL.

druidh
    Free Member

tthew – have a look here – http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=446226723506

I need to alter the angle a wee bit as I forgot just how much I was leaning forward 🙂

tthew

Well, I had to find it on YouTube because of Facebook privacy, but that looks like an excellent compromise between too-high on the helmet and chest mount massive arms. For anyone else interested, druidh’s shoulder-cam

DrDomRob
    Free Member

Hi-Jack alert: Driudh is that a blue pig you be riding?

Northwind

druidh – Member

“As said above, I don’t like the viewing angle with the helmet mount gives. Tends to make all trails look slow and uninteresting”

I found this in some videos I’d shot at kirroughtree, really sums it up I think:

[video]http://vimeo.com/10165459[/video]

Mind you, in that one the helmet cam works really well for the second section, chest mount would probably have been rubbish.

singlespeedstu

You took the cheater line on hissing sid and still didn’t make it.

😆

Northwind

singlespeedstu – Member

“You took the cheater line on hissing sid and still didn’t make it.”

Um, I rode both lines (that’s why I clambered back up, to do the S) and cleared both 😕

singlespeedstu

Apart from you stopped before the right hander at the bottom and had a bit of a dab. 😉

Edit.

Your mate didn’t make it round the right hander and had a bit of a dab. 😆
    Last time we rode that the trees on the outside of the first “s” bit were overhanging the trail that much you couldn’t get under them.

DrDomRob
    Free Member

Here is a small snippet of my efforts from today.

’twas raining, the route is very fat adn pedaly but keeps me fit 😀

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8vdp1r8oC4[/video]

I do need to invest in something to wipe off the lens without smudging.

Northwind

singlespeedstu – Member

“Edit: Your mate didn’t make it round the right hander and had a bit of a dab.
    Last time we rode that the trees on the outside of the first “s” bit were overhanging the trail that much you couldn’t get under them.”

Ah! I get it.

First time I went to KT it was overgrown like that, I just did the straight line but ChrisL rode the S line and just crashed through the branches, it was fantastic He made it look easier while knocking trees out of the way with his face than he did this time round.

Northwind

<double post>

tthew

I do need to invest in something to wipe off the lens without smudging.

I heard that RainX is good to stop the lens getting too dirty without having to wipe.

singlespeedstu

He made it look easier while knocking trees out of the way with his face

I mostly try and avoid the facetreebrake myself.

Though i’m not always totaly successful in this. 😉

tthew

Shoulder mount proved too wobbly on anything rocky, I’m going to buy a piss-pot to try. Expect a bargain on the classifieds soon!

druidh
    Free Member

You can borrow my “vented” helmet mount for the cost of postage.

I’ve uploaded a couple of photos of the shoulder strap attachment…

Modified clamp / sticky mount…

P1010510 by druidh_dubh, on Flickr
    This was cut away enough for a webbing strap to fit through the gap created.

Fitted onto the sack

P1010512 by druidh_dubh, on Flickr

The mounting arm goes under the elasticated “hose” strap to give a bit more stability.

I like this mounting as I can also see the wee LCD screen and the status lamp when switching it on and off.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Go Pro helmet mounting. Your experience please’ is closed to new replies.