Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Gloucester Services Abattoir (warning: dead meat photo)
  • doordonot
    Free Member

This is the view one gets on arriving at the M5 Gloucester Services farm shop. Dead meat is everywhere. It’s clear that this shop is all about meat.

Putting aside your lifestyle choices/opinion e.g. vegetarianism, veganism, carnivore etc., how would you feel if you saw this when going into the shop? Is it ignorant of those who avoid meat or might be disturbed by this view of dead animals and the piles of meat everywhere?

It’s not as if it’s easily avoided, such as a dedicated butchers might be. With this farm shop, one would go into the same shop to peruse and purchase the other tat, toys, clothes and snacks on sale.

I presume it’s simply a reflection of the owner’s partnership with local producers and wanting to make a clear statement that the meat on offer is good quality; also, that this is about the journey of the meat to the plate.

The by-products of the meat production underpins the design of practically every other item in the farm shop, such as the glue that holds the tat together.

This abattoir reminds us of the cold, hard truth: meat comes from somewhere. But, is the motorway services the place to present this image?

mechanicaldope

Wouldn’t bother me in the slightest but I’m neither vegan or vegetarian.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Can’t see the issue myself. Looks good.

wallop

Is this north or southbound? I thought the butchery was right at the back of the shop!

Moses

It’s a shop, not an abattoir. Don’t be hysterical.
    I’d rather see that than sanitised plastic-wrapped disguised meat in a standard supermarket.

djglover
    Free Member

It’s a mainstream product in a mainstream outlet

It’s not like they are trying to flog dildos or drugs

sootyandjim
    Free Member

It’s a mainstream product in a mainstream outlet

Very much this.

russyh
    Free Member

As a vegetarian and regular user of Gloucester services ‘Farm Shop’ I think you are over reacting somewhat.  The butchers is right at the back of the shop so hardly thrown in your face, it’s also not an abattoir.  It’s a butchers, as long as there is an appetite for meat animals will be killed and sold.  I would hazard a guess it’s locally sourced ethical farmed meat.  So much better than Sainsbury’s etc.

As a side note, I would really recommend the vegetarian scotch eggs they sell there!  Fanbloodytastic

scaredypants

no rabbit, then ? ☹

easily
    Free Member

It’s a farm shop. A farm shop.

andy4d

Looks like the one in our town, I have no problem with it, farm to fork fresh, better than sanitized plastic wrapped meat imo.

perchypanther
    Free Member

In other news, our local greengrocer has a grisly display of freshly killed vegetables  in front of the shop …..ON THE ACTUAL HIGH STREET!!!!!!!!

There are even baby carrots and sweet corn.

The monster.

augustuswindsock

Is it open weekends?

sootyandjim
    Free Member

@Perchypanther – Something like this?

Vegetable carcasses arranged in a macabre pastiche to the Sedlec Ossuary.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Won’t anyone think of the parsnips?

supercarp

My local farm shop has all its meat out like that. I love me to point out the different meat to my young daughter so she understands how and where meat comes from, it generally also comes from local producers. The best thing about this is I can pick it he meat and they can cut me just the amount I need rather than having to buy what is shrink wrapped in the supermarket.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I went in. Tried to buy a farm. Not what I expected. Outrage I tells ya

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

It’s not as if it’s easily avoided, such as a dedicated butchers might be

You mean the dedicated butchers that have similar displays to that in most town centre shops that people walk right past every day!

tomhoward

How does the OP feel about butchers shops? On the high street, in plain view of everyone!

How is dead meat different to regular meat, and how do I spot it in order to be offended if I have the misfortune of seeing some?

tomd
    Free Member

You haven’t been in an abbatoir have you?

If they had skips full of cow’s legs and faces, plus all the piss blood and shit sloshing about between stands of boiled sweets and novelty items I’d see your point.

Most services have gambling/splot machine areas. Arguably more of a real issue given addiction and widespread religious opposition.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

OP, stop being a snowflake, there’s enough around.

Here’s me with some ‘dead meat’

Ling, 03.07.2015

Now, naff off.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’d rather see that than sanitised plastic-wrapped disguised meat in a standard supermarket.

Absolutely, so long as the animals have been cared for, looked after and had a decent life before killed… sounds a bit odd that, but I’m all for animal husbandry ethics.

You choose what to eat, lets not get into the ethical issues about what and why others eat differently.

💁‍♂️

scaredypants

I’ve heard you can get a half decent lamb-shank at those services too – round near the bins at the back of the petrol kiosk

Drac

You’ve never been to a traditional butchers I take it?

perchypanther
    Free Member

But, what about bacon, eh?

jon1973
    Free Member

That’s disgusting.

White socks???

timbog160

Nothing compared to F&M (2001 was it?) when they were slaughtering animals in their tens of thousands in less than humane conditions – some sights that summer really did make me queasy!

csb

If I was a veggie campaigner I’d welcome this very open approach to butchery wholeheartedly. As you have, many people will react with disgust and it might convert them.

matt_outandabout

You had best steer clear of our high street. We have two butchers.

The next town has two also.

andytherocketeer

Isn’t Gloucester services the other one in England owned by the Tebay family? (think there’s a Scottish one too?)

They could probably tell you the name of the pig and the cow that your full English breakfast came from.

jca

OP really doesn’t want to visit Asia, if the above is disturbing….

Bullet

She was only the butchers daughter but she laid on the slab and said ‘fillet’

BigJohn

Meat is murtorway.

hols2
    Free Member

Might want to lose that strapon if you don’t want your missus to figure out what you’ve been up to on your “fishing” trip mate.

Sandwich

I went in. Tried to buy a farm. Not what I expected.

You can’t get a new car boot on a Sunday either. Trading standards weren’t interested.

FuzzyWuzzy

how would you feel if you saw this when going into the shop?

I would feel the desire to have a BBQ soon

burko73

The Westmorland co should be applauded for what they’ve done with service stations. Rather see/ know that the food there is good quality unlike every other service station on the motorway network. You’d have a real shock if you explored the origin of the processed and frozen meat products that make up 99% of the food at any other service station.

Get in the sea.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Quite.

RustySpanner

null

maccruiskeen

Could drive-through abattoirs be the new Pick-you-own strawberries?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Gloucester Services Abattoir (warning: dead meat photo)’ is closed to new replies.