• This topic has 71 replies, 49 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by eemy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Glentress Etiquette Guide
  • franksinatra

Anyone fancy suggesting entries for a STW guide to Glentress / Trail Centre Etiquette?

I will start.

1. If you ride up behind a family riding the blue trail don’t wail and swear telling us to move. My girls (7 & 9) will get out of you way when it is safe for them to do so, they do not need abuse from you.

Here is the thing, unlike you, they were not wearing full face helmets, body armour, or riding £4k big travel bikes. That is because they were riding a blue trail. They were stretching their limits and riding slightly outside of their current comfort zone which means that they need a bit of space and encouragement. They have much bigger balls than you. It is a BLUE TRAIL you tit.

joshvegas
    Free Member

“That kids is known as a grade a bellend, you’ll meet a few in your life”

Loudly

I hope your kids enjoyed their day!

robhughes
    Free Member

Stick in spokes usually does the trick.
    Bloody trail warriors and on the blue as well.Karma will take care of them when they try out some serious stuff. 😀

coblck
    Free Member

well said mate

kilo

Don’t get this at all, always happy to encourage any kids out on a trail.
    We saw something similar at Swinley about a month and a half ago three or four of us stopped at the top of one of the blue runs as there were a few young kids ahead going slowly, two bellenders came charging through shouting at us to clear the trail, we responded that there were kids ahead but they were obviously on a charge and flew through, when we came through a bit after one of the kids was pushing her bike along, no doubt having been forced off the trail by the bellenders. One positve was the quiet admirable and highly unusual string of expletives Mrs Kilo fired off at them as they barged through 🙂

bigjim

Poor show, need pics or video to name and shame! I like to think most mtbers are good people but unfortunately some massive bellends out there too.

Very poor show. I like going fast as I can on the blue at Llandegla but it is strictly with the proviso that I only hammer it on sections with decent visibility and which are clear. It’s inevitable you’ll catch (or be caught) by others on any trails, a bit of awareness and consideration is all you need really.

It’s a good point by the OP that many riders may be on or beyond their limit/comfort zone so some allowance for the fact their attention is rightly focused on the trail rather than whether anyone is approaching from behind.

I prefer it when people do not stop, but move across at a convenient point to get past. When I am close to being caught I tend to move across and give a hand gesture to let the faster rider know that I’ve seen them and then give them as much room as possible to complete the pass. Less confident riders may not wish to try and go 2 abreast though.

A few words of encouragement/appreciation to faster or slower riders as you pass each other is entirely appropriate. Tell that kid they have a nice bike and deserve a malliot a pois!

Guess the etiquette is:

“Strava does not trump civility”

iainc

I was at GT last weekend for first time in nearly 2 years. It’s quite handy for me and 10 years ago was there a few times a month. It was this type of behaviour that put me off, plus fuel and parking etc. I was pleased to see loads of kids on the trails but was very aware of the the fully armoured weekend warriors chasing Strava on the swoopy blue bits 👿

cynic-al
    Free Member

Maybe we could have a trail centre bell end shame thread?

hora
    Free Member

On the last 1km I came up behind two ladies and a 4yr old(?) And I was amazed at his age etc etc.

The trail warriors are there because they are scared of natural unpredictable trails.

martinhutch

That’s fairly pathetic. Shame we can’t shame them using the Strava flyby feature, as I can’t imagine you were bothering.

franksinatra

It was this type of behaviour that put me off

To be fair, and in the interest of balance, this behaviour is by far the exception rather than the rule. The overwhelming majority of riders are polite and encouraging.

iainc

^^^^ frank, I’d love to agree with you but in my experience of riding there I’d say majority yes, but not overwhelming. I love seeing new riders, old and young on the trails but just don’t get why some folk have to go for max gnarr on blue trails at weekends.

tomd
    Free Member

I got pointed at and laughed at on the GT blue going back down to Peel by a couple of gnarrrpoonists because apparently my rucksack was too big. I’d just finished guiding a ride and was pootling back down. Not sure why folk need to judge what others are doing. They seemed like the sort of ass hats who would buzz kids on the blue.

iainc

Tom – to be fair, we all like a laugh at you now and again x 😀

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Glentress attracts a certain type. I find it a VERY strange place to ride on the 2-3 times a year i go there. I’d happilyblock a blue to stop the tits crashing past the wee kids ahead.

giant_scum
    Free Member

I have been on the recieving end of this as well, we even offered to let the group go first that were waiting at the top of the Blue run, who then tried to intimidate me into pulling over, I did when it was safe to do so then gave them a bit of abuse as they sheepishly cycled past, Knob ends!

cheshirecat
    Free Member

On the flip side, I was at CyB a couple of years ago when my boy was about 10 years old, and the last hill is common to a few trails, including the new blue.

He overtook a couple of riders ambling up the hill, who pretended to be struggling. It made his day 🙂

grahamt1980

To be honest most of the riders that are like that are pretty slow in the general scheme of things so clearly feel the need to belittle others.

I hope they read this thread and realise just how pathetic they are.
    Hope you still had a fantastic day though and hope it doesn’t stop them enjoying riding in the future

Alex

Had this once at the FoD with my (then) 11 year old daughter on the blue. Couple of blokes (it’s always blokes isn’t it?) pushed past and really shook her up as they went past. They then waited at the end of the trail, full face helmets still on.

I had a chat and they were both very apologetic. Didn’t seem to realise that this wasn’t exactly appropriate behaviour esp on a marked blue trail. Both took their helmets off and said sorry to Jess. So sometimes riders are just narcissistic a**holes and sometimes they just don’t realise what they are doing!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

He overtook a couple of riders ambling up the hill, who pretended to be struggling. It made his day

If that was me, I was only pretending to pretend. Was almost certainly blowing up completely! 😀

Good on whoever it was really, though! Luckily, for every stormtrooper-asshat, there are many, many more nice folks out there enjoying their riding who will share a smile and share their love for riding with EVERYONE!

gg14
    Free Member

Absolutely shocking I would go ape shit if I witnessed these bellends giving a family a hard time.

igm

Shocking and surprising.

Taking our 9 year old (on his own bike) and 4 year old (on a LOCT with me) round the likes of Dalby or Les Gets, and we’ve done it for a few years, we’ve never had anything but shouts of encouragement.

Have a “well done lasses, you’ll be dropping your parents soon” from me.

Edit: we did once get advised we didn’t want the red trail at Sherwood Pines – my apologies, I think we did.

akira

Had a go at some guys doing this at the green at swinley, I was with my five year old boys. Their excuse was they were there with their kids, couldn’t see the kids with them as they raced each other round though. I’m pretty mellow but was fuming.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

People in general are massive bellends on the trail. Either people force their way past youngsters or they hold faster riders up and never go wide to let them through.

It’s just about having a bit of courtesy for people, I’ll always let XC riders through on the climbs because I know they enjoy attacking them. Likewise I’m happy to stop on downhill sections to either let a really fast rider through or give kids some space so they can enjoy their ride.

IMO with way trails are getting overcrowded they need to start building more dual type downhills or at least overtaking zones.

igm

People in general are massive bellends on the trail.

I disagree. Most mountain bikers seem to love seeing youngsters getting their trail legs – in my experience.

Half of them want seem to want recommendations on what sort of kids bike to buy. The other half pass appreciative comments about whatever your child is riding.

Ok I may have over estimated slightly.

jimmy

Been on the end of a full susser go-pro’d up on berm baby berm. Riding with our ladies, we were going at a casual speed. Gnarr-dude skids up behind, takes a dodgy off-piste line to overtake unnerving the girls looking like he’d take them out at any time and cuts back in front of them. He got a very telling off by all of us at the bottom.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Maybe it depends on where you ride IGM, I think a lot of the male strava/lycrad up crowd drive on crowded roads to get to crowded trail centers and then end up bringing their road rage to the trail.

igm

You may be right. Of course when dad is a 16st ex rugby player maybe people just get a little more polite.

Aggressive Scotsman has also been used in describing me but that of course is untrue.

matt_outandabout

One of the few slightly negative trail centre experiences we had was at the top of Spooky Wood. One chap decide that 10yr old on Isla Bike wearing Lycra should not be thre – and told me so in no uncertain terms. Said chap set off on big Kona FS wearing body armour with his mates. (natch).

The chap stopped suddenly on first forest track at the end of spooky woods – only to be squeaked at by my 10 year old for stopping so suddenly in front of him….he had stuck to the chaps back wheel the whole way down. 8)

glasgowdan
    Free Member

🙂 Matt, hope he was beaming embarassed

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

I’ve been to GT once and I’m in no rush to return.

A few folk here blaming Strava. I doubt that’s the cause of people being dicks, instead it’s just a means to an end for their self-fulfilment.

br
    Free Member

GT was busy today, and some knobs too.

Had one bloke try to get on my inside on Mushrooms, he didn’t shout or anything and I was within a yard of my mate in front. He went down. I ignored him.

Then on Fala Brae Lower he did the same to one of the other guys I was riding with. No asking to pass or anything. And we’d already passed them as they sat at the start…

thegreatape
    Free Member

Seriously? Glad I never meet have so far never met these dicks.

v8ninety

Glentress Etiquette Guide

1. Don’t be a dick to other people
    2. See number 1

Sometimes humanity really disappoints me. The rest of the time it’s only a low level, background feeling of disappointment.

inbred

Not just the adults that can be tools.

Was at GT the the wee man on his islabike cnoc riding the blue these obnoxious kids thought that shouting rider meant we should stop immediately and get out their way. Their parents were with them so not sure who was worse them or the parents.

I’m all for kids riding trails but they need to learn some manners or skills so they could pass at the numerous passing points.

igm

v8ninety – Member
    Glentress Etiquette Guide
    1. Don’t be a dick to other people
    2. See number 1

Sounds familiar

Rule #43 // Don’t be a jackass.
    But if you absolutely must be a jackass, be a funny jackass. Always remember, we’re all brothers and sisters on the road trail.

martinhutch

Well, this is putting me off ever popping into GT if I’m passing. Never experienced or witnessed this kind of arseholery at any other trail centre I’ve visited.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Dicks have been dicks since time began, whatever electronics have appeared doesn’t change that.

Gave up on Glentress during weekends about 8 years ago, due to it being too busy.

At that point there were dicks who pushed passed at a trail entrance while I was trying to give the girls in front a gap, sitting on their wheel asking if they wanted to go faster worked well to make a point.
    Then the idiots pushing up spooky wood who didn’t really get why it was a bad idea.
    Chuck in the other idiots and it’s not a new thing.

Then there was the family on the blue who stopped just after the bridge in the middle of the trail in the blind spot…

honeybadgerx

I think you can apply a lot of this to any trail centre during busy weekend hours. Hence we only really ride GT on evenings or very early sat/sun. Friday night is always a good time to go, seems a good crowd of folk around, then chips in Peebles after!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Glentress Etiquette Guide’ is closed to new replies.