Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Given Up Drinking
  • Pezzers
    Free Member

I am on my third week of not drinking, although I have never been a heavy drinker (bottle of red plus a few beers over the weekend and the odd binge every now and then) I decided to go tee-total for a while, partly to improve fitness partly to try and lose a little flab off my belly and partly to just see what its like.

So far I feel a bit more alert and a bit more cranky so when do I see some benefits and what are they likely to be?

mogrim

Nothing apart from weightloss, you might be slightly more awake during the week from the better quality sleep at the weekend, but if you don’t drink much the difference will be minimal.

binners

Well this is far less likely to happen…

thomthumb
    Free Member

the worst thing about not drinking is other people banging on about it like you’ve decided to do a home castration.

rewski
    Free Member

I knew a guy who gave up drinking once.

CaptJon
    Free Member

thomthumb – Member
    the worst thing about not drinking is other people banging on about it like you’ve decided to do a home castration.

this, very much this.

i stopped at while an undergrad and have the same conversation, often with the same people, about how they just couldn’t understand.

binners

You do realise that everyone will have made the immediate assumption that you’re a recovering alcoholic?

tracknicko
    Free Member

or… the worst thing about not drinking is all your mates going off you when you bang on constantly about not drinking.

portlyone

All the best drinks are alcoholic…

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’m by no means TT, but I don’t drink very often any more. Other than now only suffering from a hangover once a month or so, rather than writing weekends off, I can’t say I have noticed any other differences.

smell_it
    Free Member

If you were being honest you weren’t even drinking enough to make your GP raise an eyebrow, so I would doubt you will notice to much difference other than on your morning afters. You might find yourself becoming more sanctimonious about others drinking, and let’s face no one really likes going for a pint with a non-drinker (unless they offer to drive).

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

After a month or so without booze I found I was mentally sharper.

more cash.
    Feel fresh weekend mornings

Only sometimes after a long tedious week at work you may feel the need to escape. I find snorting a few crushed up codiene tablets out of the medical box and a spot of autoasphyxiation does the trick.

spasmicgherkin
    Free Member

realising that what seems witty and adroit whilst you’re drunk is, in actual fact, pathetically dull must rank near the top.

the housemate believes he’s brightening my saturday evening when he staggers in after rugby. it’s as though Roland Rat had a mild stroke.

(for balance, i drink plenty – having seen the sober side, i’m not keen)

zilog6128

I’m by no means TT, but I don’t drink very often any more. Other than now only suffering from a hangover once a month or so, rather than writing weekends off, I can’t say I have noticed any other differences.

+1 can actually get stuff done at the weekends now rather than monging on the sofa watching discovery all day

binners

the housemate believes he’s brightening my saturday evening when he staggers in after rugby.

That may be as much to do with his penchant for egg-chasing as his drinking. Though the 2 tend to go hand in hand. Can’t say I’ve ever met a rugger bugger I’d want to spend more than 2 minutes in the company of, drunk or otherwise TBH

spasmicgherkin
    Free Member

^ Fair point that man.

binners

I use to share a house with someone who sounds remarkably similar. At first we’d just mercilessly rip the piss out of him.

This tends to lose its appeal somewhat when you realise your victim is so spectacularly dim-witted they don’t even realise they’re having the piss taken out of them 😕

alex222
    Free Member

or… the worst thing about not drinking is all your mates going off you when you bang on constantly about not drinking.

in a similar way to eating a vegetarian breakfast at a cafe? 😀

daveb
    Free Member

Went out a few weeks ago and got absolutely steamin’, great night out but havent touched a drop since. 2 1/2 weeks which is a bit of a record for me. Have had a few times I have fancied a drink but decided not to bother. I havent noticed much difference apart from no horrible hangovers, good to see how long it lasts.

kayak23

You’re far less likely to have such problems walking up hills for one.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a7l7IHXZwk&feature=related[/video]

GJP
    Free Member

Keep off the booze for a couple of months, then have a couple of beers one night and it will be very evident the following day what the benefits of not drinking are.

I very rarely drink perhaps once or twice a year and even then only a couple of small bottles of beer or a glass or two of wine. Every time I wonder why I bothered having a drink.

i am certainly not fanatical about it and drank moderately for 20 years, but at the end of the day it is a poison and you need to work out whether the pleasure of consuming the drug/poison out weigh the downsides.

My view is that only over a period of several months does your perception of the relative value/benefits change.

kennyp
    Free Member

The problem with giving up alcohol is that alcohol is brilliant. And that’s meant as both a flippant and non-flippant remark.

nealglover
    Free Member

Kennyp nails it :mrgreen:

I drink moderately, once or twice a month on nights out.
    + One glass of wine a week maybe.

But I wouldn’t want to give it up. Because it has no downsides as far as I can see (for me)

I get up hangover free after a heavy night out. Always have really. It’s a gift !

toby1

I did a lent off one year, can’t say I really enjoyed it, I do love a good ale. Haven’t had a hangover in about a year though as I’m slowly learning my limits. Good luck if you are enjoying it though.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Why would you give it up?, it makes you dance better
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JwfmNxvj7g[/video]

donsimon
    Free Member

I get up hangover free after a heavy night out. Always have really. It’s a gift !

Never get hangovers either, not sure that it’s a gift though. 🙁

skywalker
    Free Member

Alcohol is evil shite, just because its legal people think its fine to abuse it.

I gave up drinking about 5 years ago now, don’t miss it at all.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

You clearly had a problem then.

transapp
    Free Member

Or it’s not evil. really it’s a choice thing.

I’ve often govin up for a month or 3, and the one thing that stands out is that everyone wants you to have a beer. I have no idea why this is, but it seems to ruin there nights out (or even in, in front of the telly) if you’re not drinking.

Wish I’d given up last Saturday though, felt like shite for 24hrs and now have a stinking cold. That I do blame the booze for. Time for another month or two off!

kennyp
    Free Member

Quite a problem by the sounds of it.

alex222
    Free Member

I’ve often govin up for a month or 3,

though you are clearly drinking right now

transapp
    Free Member

true enough!

porter_jamie

a lot less glass to put out in the recycling

cynic-al
    Free Member

GJP – Member
    Keep off the booze for a couple of months, then have a couple of beers one night and it will be very evident the following day what the benefits of not drinking are.

Worse hangovers are a benefit?

skywalker
    Free Member

😆 Reading it back, I did word it like I used to have a problem , but I didn’t. I have seen it ruin peoples lives though.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

You do realise that everyone will have made the immediate assumption that you’re a recovering alcoholic?

more cash.
    Feel fresh weekend mornings

realising that what seems witty and adroit whilst you’re drunk is, in actual fact, pathetically dull must rank near the top.

just because its legal people think its fine to abuse it.

All true IME.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Given Up Drinking’ is closed to new replies.