Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Gisburn -brief overnight kip in car?
  • osteo1
    Free Member

Planning on driving up from south and getting to Gisburn in the small hours of the morning, kipping in the car for a few hours then riding… anything to stop me? Does it have gates that close at night?
    Cheers

snotrag

I seem to recall that yes, there is a gate across the car park (the newer one of the two with the toilet block). It’s pretty bleak and remote too, I rek on you coild find somewhere more suitable just off the main road a few miles out (and get some breakfast!)

Mugboo

We have stayed there a couple of times over summer without any bother. Arrived around dusk but no idea about a gate as its a while ago.

richardkennerley

There’s a car park in slaidburn, not sure what time the cafe there opens? There’s a toilet block at least!

Tracey

We have had a few overnight stays with no problems. Toilets have always been open but you cant drink the tap water.
    Also a pay and display

mahalo

your coming from the south? to ride Gisburn?? is there no an ulterior motive?

globalti
    Free Member

You’ll spend most of the afternoon camped on the M6 in Cheshire.

danposs86

The carparks are open 24/7. It is pay and display, £3 for the day. Cash only site (including the cafe). Alternatively, you could camp at the top of the hill between Gisburn and Clapham, wake up to some excellent views.

https://goo.gl/maps/j3dgURT8ffWehucV6

https://www.google.com/maps/@54.0412955,-2.4189159,3a,75y,316.9h,79.36t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_N0je3_4M2C49DP9W_XGfw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

chakaping
    Free Member

Wrap up warm, it gets bloody freezing there in winter.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

We were there for the Hope women’s race last October and did as Danposs suggests, you might get a bit more wind up there but what a view! Isn’t that what ‘vanlife’ is all about? 😉

timbog160

I do like Gisburn as I find it very reliable, but that’s some dedication to the cause! Tbh it’s only real downside is being in Lancashire 😉. Try and make a bit of time to mooch around Bowland generally – it’s a lovely and very underrated area…

osteo1
    Free Member

It’s on the way to a course I have and I missed it last year when I did lots in the lakes!

benp1

I was there a couple of weeks back. The water from the taps in the toilet was like ice and the dryers were cold rather than warm. My hands nearly fell off after that!

Take the right change for the car park machine, think it’s £3 for more than a couple of hours

taxi25
    Free Member

Is it only me, but I’ve got to nearly 60 and have never slept in a car, as in gone to bed slept. Whats it like ?

nickc

Cold

Marin
    Free Member

A means to an end.

survivor

I’m my Honda civic it was weirdly the best nights sleep I’ve ever had! I miss that car 😂

Jordan

Passat estate with a blow up matress in the back. Comfortable but fekin freezin when it’s -6 outside. Shoulda bought a better sleeping bag!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Gisburn -brief overnight kip in car?’ is closed to new replies.