Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Giro fullface- helmet longevity question
  • hora
    Free Member

This really is an off the record/longevity question.

I have a Giro Mad Max helmet that I bought back in 2004. I’ve only worn it for two trips to the Alps. I’ve never fallen off (and landed on my head etc).

I really don’t want to bin it – can I still wear it for a 4 day trip again?

Likeness here: http://genesisbicycles.com/brands/gi…max-ii-847.htm

How do you effectively wash the interior? Bucket of soapy water then leave out upside down in the sun??

hora
    Free Member

Bump

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

helmets degrade slowly with time and more quickly with UV exposure. Sweat also degrades them

– so a helmet that has been in the sun all day every day being sweated into will degrade more quickly than one that sits in a cupboard in the dark unused.

Generally the lifespan is considered to be 5 years IIRC – so yours at 7 years hardly used – will it be in better condition than a 5 year old one that was used every day?

Junkyard
    Free Member

assuming it has not been left in UV light it should be fine i would use it. IIRC only UV knackers helmets over time
    most ones the liner comes out to wash but if not as you suggest I would use soap flakes or possibly just water and nothing harsh at all that you find in normal detergents
    Your link does not work

hora
    Free Member

Giro say 3yrs on their site however I take that as a used frequently assumption. It hasn’t been washed since it was last used so I’ll have to have a real good smell/nosey around it first.

I take their advice as erring on the safest possible side for optimum rather than taking into account everyones situation..

Liftman

I take their advice as erring on the safest possible side for optimum rather than taking into account everyones situation..

Their advice is erring on the opportunity to sell you more helmets more often 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Not a problem for me, I’ve always crashed hard enough in every helmet I’ve owned to warrent it’s replacement 🙂 The last one I was just starting to think it looks a bit scruffy after countless minor offs* and lo and behold the front wheel tucked in on a sandy berm throwing me headfirst ito some rocks.

*I know I ‘should’ replace it each time, but I probably average a small crash every ride so it could be expensive!

MadPierre

I’d wear it. Don’t the pads come out? Bung them in the washing machine if they do.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Giro fullface- helmet longevity question’ is closed to new replies.