• This topic has 40 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Giant Trance- What size do you ride?
  • hora
    Free Member

…and how tall are you? Actual TT length on a medium is 22inch, is this too short for 6footer on a ‘chuckable’ full susser? Was thinking of using a 90mm stem.

gizzardman
    Free Member

A mate of mine has a 09 Trance in size large, fits him bang on, he’s 5.11″

emac65
    Free Member

6’1″ & an 07 large fits me purrrfect

MrSmith
    Free Member

6ft1 and a medium with 90mm stem for me.

hora
    Free Member

emac65, what size stem do you use? In general do you like your bikes more ‘xc’ in length?

AB
    Free Member

6ft1 08 Large

Hora, you still not made your mind up on this one yet? 😉

hora
    Free Member

The frame is a medium older TRance design (baby blue Trance ‘4’) with a 22inch TT. My Chameleon is 22.5 ctr to ctr which I used with a 70mm stem..so its that 1/2 inch thats bothering/holding me up!

emac65
    Free Member

90mm stem & I do like my bikes with plenty of length.Did try a medium first but it felt a bit cramped.

I think you need to try both sizes to decide what’s best for you tbh

TenMen
    Free Member

I’m 6′ 3″ and a large is fine and dandy. Can’t remember what stem’s on it, it’s whatever came with the bike (06 version). Cockpit length is perfect for me, but I do use a seatpost with some setback due to my rather long legs.

hora
    Free Member

Right. My large Cham 22.5ct to ct) with a 70mm stem will be exactly the same length as the medium (22 ct to ct) with a 90mm stem (have a spare one already). In theory spot on?

hora
    Free Member

Last question, what pressure/psi do you all run in your rear shock?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Seated it might feel the same, stood up it could feel totally different since the tt measurement is only useful when sat down.

Id go for it if you want a chuckable full sus. Plus, use a 70mm stem

MrSmith
    Free Member

RP23 155psi

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I ride a dialled alpine with a 22 inch top tube and a 70mm stem and Im 6foot2. Doesnt climb particularly well but its much more manouverable on jumps and downhills due to the short top tube, so I couldnt care less

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

2008 trance X2, medium, 75mm stem, 5′ 11″. Yes it is fairly short feeling compared with many bikes, but I adapted quickly. It’s also quite up at the front, but if that bothers you, all the spacers can be chucked and you can saw the steerer down. I quite like the view though. I do recommend a test ride.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

You should be made aware of the Trance’s worst feature: The otherwise brilliant suspension compromises your seat-dropping ability to just 4″. This is absolutely fine for XC/trails, but really annoying on DH trails.

BigBoyXC
    Free Member

Trance X0 – 6ft and large with 90mm

Perfect

scaredypants

compromises your seat-dropping ability to just 4″

oooh, have they changed design for the current ones then ?

(my 06 or 07 one drops right down I’m sure)

6ft1, large with a 60-90 stem long fork and inline post (I just like inline posts) – don’t use for “chucking” but I reckon it’d do just fine with a ded short stem & a layback

oh, and I think you’re maybe measuring your chameleon wrong (I’ve never owned one but that’s a whole inch shorter than the current model in large)

MrSmith
    Free Member

not had any problems with dropping the saddle? just swapped to a 410 thomson after using a 350 easton. was going to cut it down but fully dropped it’s already lower than it needs to go.

mboy
    Free Member

hora, hopefully this should help you…

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=74009

If you’ve been measuring the “actual” TT length, then that can be pretty misleading. Would suggest that Effective TT length is more appropriate, though by no means an absolute reference for bike fit.

Regarding lengths, the Medium Trance is only 0.1″ shorter than the Large SC Chameleon. Would suggest that you’re unlikely to notice this difference! Trance has a steep seat tube angle too, so you can always get away with a layback seatpost for a touch more length in the cockpit if required.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Well the main rocker pivot runs through the seat tube. I sawed my post down but like to have 100mm in the tube with the saddle at my preferred pedalling height. It then drops about 100mm which is still quite high for steeps.

scaredypants

2007 trance frames, medium TT = 23.0 Large = 23.7

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

You can see it clearly here

scaredypants

I agree buzz, that is a bit kack – especially for a tranceX

my old frame isn’t like that but I suppose that means the pivot’ll shear off sometime soon 😐

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I’ve got a severely chopped down post for “playtime”

shinsplints

6ft 2 – 08 large with a 70mm stem seems to work well for me – ragged it senseless at Dalby today – fantastic ! 😀

greasystain
    Free Member

5’11” on small (16″) – great fun!

Olly
    Free Member

6’5″, XL, 08 trance. never ever felt the need to lower the saddle… :p

timothecimmerian

6’2″ and a Large TranceX 08 which I’ve had for a couple of months. The stock stem is too long which will be changed out, but will need a layback seatpost at the same time as the actual cockpit length feels right for me.

IA

6’4″ XL 08 trance, 110mm stem – spot on. No issues lowering it, plenty room on an XL.

Trances come up quite short mind. Or short in bigger sizes at least.

pk-ripper
    Free Member

you’d need a large mark. The m would be too small

MrSmith
    Free Member

rubbish he’s not taller than me.
    (unless 06/7 are shorter than 08’s)

pk-ripper
    Free Member

Rubbish, medium was smallish on me gaz, I liked the large but 12 didn’t sell me one of them

hora
    Free Member

(unless 06/7 are shorter than 08’s

I think they are looking through some of the geom-sites (only found a oz site with alot of digging)….no pun intended

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    6 foot tall large 06 baby blue Trance 4 (but heavily upgraded-only the frame and shock is original) with a 90mm stem.
    Spot on for me
    Cheers
    Steve

hora
    Free Member

fatgit, its high-time you bought a new ‘steed’. Seriously, Trance’s are soooo last year 😉

hora
    Free Member

Please keep alookout for a Trance for me. Medium or large – the current ones on fleabay are going to go to silly money …although I am watching the Jewish racing Gold ‘un

fatgit
    Free Member

Hora
    I already have another 2 “steeds”!
    A Hummer and a Whyte E5.
    I have the Whyte built up fairly light and the Trance a bit burlier (130mm forks, 2.4 Advantage etc)and was thinking of putting some Pikes on it too!
    I am seriously considering a Hemlock (me and Deejay off here are hoping to demo one in the Peaks in April) and I also like the look of the Lapierre’s but funds dont currently allow.
    I take it you are after a frame only?
    If I do take the plunge I would probably be selling frame only but dont have a real timescale in mind yet.
    You could try and persuade me 😉
    Cheers
    Steve

hora
    Free Member

Hi Steve, how much were you thinking for the frame/rear shock?

fatgit
    Free Member

Hora
    Not really given it much thought until your thread made me think about a new bike 😆
    I have been really happy with it and love the way it rides, I can understand why you want one.
    Although it is an 06 I actually bought it as a brand new whole bike in JUly 07 and then transferred parts over.
    The shock hasn’t been serviced but it has had bearings replaced and new shock bushings.
    Top of my head figure is about £300 plus postage at cost.
    Cheers
    Steve

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Giant Trance- What size do you ride?’ is closed to new replies.