Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Giant Price Rises?
  • halkynhymer
    Free Member

Is it just me or did I see a £200 overnight increase on the new Trance 1 from browsing the Giant site on Sunday to doing the same on Monday? I was seriously considering one to replace my recently stolen Trance 2 but that’s put the kybosh on that unless someone wants to sell me one at the old price! Thanks Brexiteers….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What’s the exchange rate again?

onewheelgood

According to a Brexiter I was talking to, once we’ve left the EU we’ll be able to trade with the Far East directly and the prices will all come down again because we won’t have to use the Euro.

Poopscoop

I blame Indyref 2 personally.

Brexit is so last year!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Thatcher’s fault. Clearly.

binners

Cheers!

Poopscoop

God,I hate that picture of smugness!

trailwagger
    Free Member

Pedalon have sent this email to me twice recently

Considering a new Giant or Liv bicycle? Buy now before the March 14th price increase
    Giant’s 2017 bike line up is one of the most exciting of any manufacturer with new Trance, Anthem, Fathom, XTC, Contend and TCR Disc models as well as category leading models such as Propel and Defy Advanced. As always, Giant offer market leading technology with great value specification packages but their UK importer, Giant UK, is not immune to the currency pressures which have resulted from the UK’s decision to leave the EU and they have informed us of a price rise affecting most of their 2017 range from March the 14th. If you are interested in any of their range we’d recommend ordering now to take advantage of the current pricing.
    Why are prices rising?
    After the UK’s vote to leave the EU in June 2016, the UK Pound to US Dollar exchange rate has dropped by roughly 20%. Because the vast majority of bicycles are traded in US Dollars this has had a massive affect on the cost of importing into the UK. Initially 2017 model prices were set approximately 8% higher than corresponding 2016 prices with a hope that the UK Pound would rally against the US Dollar. Unfortunately, this has not happened and the cost pressures on the UK distributors have become unsustainable. Several other major global brands such as Specialized, Trek and Cannondale have recently implemented UK price rises too.
    Which models are affected and by how much?
    The vast majority of the Giant and Liv 2017 range will see a price increase of approximately 5%.
    Will models ordered before March the 14th but not deliverable until afterwards maintain the current pricing?
    Yes. The pricing of any orders will be set by the pricing at the time of ordering.

jonnyboi

yep, a lot of sites have been warning about the Giant price increase.

dyls

I was 50/50 on buying a new tcr but will probably leave it for now. May buy one in the august sales instead.

benpinnick

It’s going to happen across the board, but also expect to see further unrelated price increases as 2018 kit is more expensive (for reasons I can’t really explain) than 2017. Probably adding an inflation busting 5-7% onto your bike price before the further inevitable decrease in sterling value. I’d say rough guess MY 2018 bikes will be another 15-20% again in total, allowing for a further decline in the pound and recent price increases being tapered in – no one is actually hitting the full whack on the customer right now as far as I can see.

mark90
    Free Member

Price hike > less sales > more reduced price stock at Paul’s

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Price hike > less sales > more reduced price stock at Paul’

Or rather

GBP crash > fewer bikes ordered into the country as shops only have finite amounts of cash/credit in GBP > no reduced price stock at Paul’

xcracer1
    Free Member

I would imagine that the uk is a major buyer of giant bikes.

Are more giants sold in france or germany?

monkeyboyjc

Could be worse, the cost of gingernuts has gone up 30% this month….

wiggles
    Free Member

Could be worse the cost of gingernuts has gone up 30% this month….

Bastards didn’t put that on the side of a bus did they

jonnyboi

Could be worse, the cost of gingernuts has gone up 30% this month….

Seriously? That’s not even funny if true

monkeyboyjc

iainc

^^^ now that really is a Giant Price Rise….

cookeaa
    br
    Free Member

You’ve also UK-based additional costs hitting.

Most companies will have been pushed onto auto-enrolement pensions which is about 3.5% of salary), apprentice levy (over £3m payroll) is another 0.5%, and the various minimum/living wages plus business rates increases.

All costs that have to be paid for.

halkynhymer
    Free Member

Thanks to all who’ve posted – my local dealer didn’t mention possible price rises – might buy a Whyte or Canyon now instead – before they hike their prices!!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

– before they hike their prices!!

Try not to fall into the dm style there. Before price adjustment to reflect the exchange rate. Nobody complained about getting dirt cheap pikes from the mainland when the currency stars aligned did they.

simondbarnes

might buy a Whyte or Canyon now instead – before they hike their prices!!

I thought they already had?

chrisorders
    Free Member

Whyte hiked their prices in January.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

………well….thank **** my wife can transfer internally to Switzerland….if things are going to get crazy expensive….I at least want decent riding.

ampthill

I would imagine that the uk is a major buyer of giant bikes.

Are more giants sold in france or germany?

I on’t know the absolute numbers. But Rutland had some good deals on Giant bikes. The guy in the shop said that they were unsold French stock, the uk stock already having sold out

According to a Brexiter I was talking to, once we’ve left the EU we’ll be able to trade with the Far East directly and the prices will all come down again because we won’t have to use the Euro.

Its quite a strong correlation IMHO. Not understanding economics and being Brexiter

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Specailized have gone up too. My Sequoia was £1500rrp when I bout it, now £1750.

bowglie

Its quite a strong correlation IMHO. Not understanding economics and being Brexiter

Yup, you got it.

ampthill

Specailized have gone up too. My Sequoia was £1500rrp when I bout it, now £1750.

Ouch. That is nearly 17%

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The guy in the shop said that they were unsold French stock, the uk stock already having sold out

Just means one side over ordered and one side under ordered. Selling put is these days more of a marketing gimmick – if I tell you there are 3 left in the country will you hold out for a better deal?

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Giant Price Rises?’ is closed to new replies.