Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Giant Anthem help/advice or alternative
  • cows_in_cars
    Free Member

Hoping someone can advice on set up for a giant anthem, posted similar before but need a bit more help, I think…I hope or just have to accept that the bike doesn’t suit me. I have a 2010 giant x4 (upgraded only the frame remains), but have never really disliked a bike before but really can’t get on with this one. Although I can accept that the bike just doesn’t suit me, on paper it should be ideal and everyone else seems to love theirs.

Before the anthem I have a Santa cruz blur xc, which was great apart from the bearings which is why I changed to the anthem, thought I was buying a better version of the blur. That was just a case of pump up the shock to the right pressure and go, it wasn’t built up with anything particularly special, weighed about 26/27lbs but felt much lighter. The Anthem never feels confident on the decent, always feel like I am tipping over the front and can’t hit any line in corners at all and unless I run the shock really soft but then bobs terribly. Rides heaver than it is, about 24lbs. Have tried endless set ups and positional changes but can’t get it right. The blur did have a RP23 and the anthem is just a standard float but I never used the pro pedal on the blur and geometry wise I am very used to ‘steep’ bikes although beginning to see the merit in something slacker.
    I am just under 6.2″ and weigh just under 12 stone at the moment.

Any advice most welcome, otherwise I will have to sell it and buy something else, if so any recommendations frame wise, all my riding is aimed at endurance races (this time training for them). Budget is going to be a bit tighter so most likely a hardtail but any suggestions welcome

I am sure someone will suggest a 29er, not against them in anyway but just not sure they would suit my style and the courses I ride, like fast accelerating bikes, plus more expense as would have to change all my spares e.c.t.
    Sorry for the long post but any help would be greatly appreciated.

u02sgb
    Free Member

Got an Anthem and love it. I’ve put 120mm Fox shock on the front though (as ok’d by Giant on the demo day) which slackens it a bit. Also started out with a 110mm stem which I felt had my weight too far forward if it got steep and rough so put an 80mm stem on.

Feels like both those things made a difference but it could all be psychological. One way or the other I love the bike and won’t be changing it any time soon.

Stu.

angeldust
    Free Member

I’ve been riding a 2011 Anthem X1 for a few months now after using a Orange 5 as my main bike for a few years. I really like it – feels much lighter than the 5 and not really noticing the reduction in travel much. What size Anthem are you riding (mines a Large)?

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

Using a 90mm stem the shortest I have ever used and really couldn’t go shorter than that (tried a 110 and a 120 while trying to get it to feel better).
    Yup also riding a large.
    Everyone seems to love theirs where as I hate it, it makes no sense at all

legend
    Free Member

what fork/travel are you running on the front?

Same fork with a (possibly) shorter headtube could certainly have an effect on you

cp

again, what fork and travel? Could be fork packing down esp. under braking causing very steep angles.

what size frame is it? have you got flat bars or risers?

DelPaggio
    Free Member

I’ve got an anthem (L) – 120mm fork and 80mm stem has improved descending but still climbs/handles well. Sounds simple but check your fork pressure, too much sag on a steep angled bike not necessarily a good thing. Given it has racey xc tendencies I prefer the suspension to be a little stiffer anyway. I’ve found the longer fork has helped reduce peddle strikes by raising the bb slightly as well.

Try some wider bars, can make that little bit of difference going into some gnar and knowing you can bash through. I’ve got 710mm now instead of 660mm and feels much better.

I moved from the South Coast to Manchester over the summer and have made the changes above to make more suitable for the different terrain, what felt like the right set up for the South Downs wasn’t elsewhere.

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

Running 100mm reba, wouldn’t really want to go longer but maybe…have played around with the fork setting as well but could try a few other things.Felt pretty much the same with the fox it came with, but then didn’t use them for that long as the broke after a few weeks and lost confidence in them so sold them after I got them back from warranty (it’s been a bundle of laughs with this bike!)
    The head tube is not that short and have tried riser and flats, riser felt horrible, flat bars and bar end felt good ok but not great going down, put some wide flat bars on have bought the best results yet but still not great.
    Frame is a 20″ (large)

legend
    Free Member

how wide is wide? I’d consider wide as 700mm+. Wide plus flat is gonna move your weight further forward.

What was horrible about the risers? bearing in mind they come in a millions different heights/widths/angles I’d be surprised if trying a different set wouldn’t be a good move

traildog
    Free Member

Yes, I’m struggling to understand what you’re saying. You say that you have too much weight forward, but then you won’t go anything shorter than a 90mm stem, you don’t want any taller forks and risers are horrible. You need to tell us why you feel this.

I find wider bars move your weight forward, you have a low bar, and the Anthem is known for being quite steep angled with a 100mm fork and happily takes a 120mm fork (apparently). And 90mm isn’t exactly that short, if you are feeling too far forward, why don’t you try a shorter stem?

How do you find the bearings? I heard they were pretty small and prone to problems, so I’m interested to hear you went to this frame because the SC bearings were terrible. Did you find the SC bearings worse?

Bolt

2009 Anthem x here, 120mm reba xx’s and a 90mm stem.
    Can’t fault it apart from an annoying creak that I keep getting!
    Bought as a frame only so can’t comment on standard spec.
    Probably sub 24lbs and rides very well.

Bolt

angeldust
    Free Member

I’m about the same height as you (OP) so sizing shouldn’t be the issue. I was concerned the Anthem might feel slightly old school 1990’s XC (like my 1998 Marin Mount Vision) but it doesn’t at all (to me).

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

Ok, I totally understand where you are coming from re the flat bars and stem. The risers I tried were a pair of easton EA70 low rise, I have used them for years without a problem and a pair of FSA carbon risers, both made the perched onto of the bike feel worse. The flats although as you say do lower the front end but I feel much more ‘in’ the bike with them rather than teetering on top of the thing.
    They are 720ish flat bars, they are nuke proof ones.

The stem thing, 90mm is short for me, it is a xc race bike after all and I am tall, I did get measured for bit fit a while ago and I ‘should’ be using a 120mm stem to get the stretch right. 90mm feels fine but would feel cramped with a much shorter stem. The blur xc had the same head angle and the fork was pretty dive-y but that still felt better.

A longer fork does seem like a step in the right direction but will encore some cost plus don’t feel I should need or do need more than 100mm for racing but do see that it might help the bike.

Re the bearing, oh smeg! Thanks another point to add to my “I love the anthem list!” Sigh! I thought that they were meant to be quite long lasting? They have been fine so far but then haven’t used the bike that much due to not liking it much and thus preferring to ride my road bike (even off road!). AAAAAUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH wish I kept the blur, stupid stupid me…sigh

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

My spec is very un- standard now. And agree it ‘should’ fit and suit me really well…sigh

rickon
    Free Member

See if someone wants a swap 🙂

Bound to be someone out there with a Blur that wants an Anthem.

glenp
    Free Member

Is everything else the same as with the Blur? Same tyres?

What about size – you did compare top tube length I guess – is that similar?

Also – are you 100% certain that everything is tight and true? Wheel bearings? Rear end all tight and nothing waggling about? Headset tight?

If I were you I would get a chunky tyre and stick it on the front and see what that does. It will give you a smidge more slack, plus a bigger gyroscopic effect for stability.

rkk01
    Free Member

I’m 6’3″ and have been riding a 20″ Large X3 since Nov 09.

I’ve kept it pretty much stock – swapped the saddle before MM 10 for long day out comfort…

Bike fits very well, although felt short compared to 21″ Lucky Strike.

I do like to have my backside a long way back – and the one thing that I didn’t like about the Anthem to start with was that my bum and hips seemed too far forward compared to the bottom bracket and the cockpit. This did deem to shove my weigh too far forward for comfort (and control) when riding

Adjusting the saddle as far back as it would go (and then slapping it back some more) sorted this little foible after the first ride. Nothing more I’d change now, get on really well with this bike, quick, energy efficient, sure footed…

traildog
    Free Member

The bearing thing is only what I have heard. No personal experience so if it’s fine for you then that’s great.

If you are shortening your stem, then you will probably need to move your saddle back a bit. On the road bike, you will try to setup the bike for maximum power transfer when seating. A mountain bike is a bit more compromise, and you are moving around the bike lots anyway.

Some bikes you do feel like you are sitting ‘in’ more than ‘on’. I guess the moral is always get a test ride before you buy. It does seem strange you hate it so much when others love theirs though. What size was your Blur?

glenp
    Free Member

Good point – layback seatpost? Will give you a bit more stretch but get your hips back behind your feet.

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies, kit wise no, the blur and the giant are different, the blur was not so well kitted out, the head tube on the blur was very short so ran risers and had a 110mm stem, seatpost and saddle are the same, wheels are the same, apart from running a bigger tyre on the rear… Think the tyre thing is a good idea, might try stealing a 2.1 racing raph of my girl friends bike as don’t think there’s masses of space for a much bigger tyre up front.

Seat position is another thing I will try, do have a thompson layback post with a flite jamed all the way back on the rails but could try another seatpost/saddle.

Blur was large so very similar size wise. YES Moral of the story is read reviews and get advice but TEST RIDE before you buy don’t be an idiot like me. Although I do find it hard to believe that I can’t get it sorted as so many people like theirs and have been riding for so long that do have a pretty good idea of what ‘fits’ me and the giant is almost spot on geometry wise.

And yes agree with the set up thing on a MTB as being a bit less of a exact science but also now I really couldn’t go any shorter on the stem front.

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

oh and yes everything is tight and true

rkk01
    Free Member

Seat back by 1-1.5″ made a big difference to mine.

I also have a Thompson layback post, but haven’t felt the need to try it on the Anthem.

Funnily enough I got the Thompson for another Giant – a Large 20″ Reign that I had before the Anthem…. the short cockpit on that definately needed the layback post as my weight was way over the front and packing down the forks on braking / steep descents, much as you describe for the Anthem

glenp
    Free Member

Like all vehicles, but especially true of bicycles, tyres make a big difference to feel. Def try swapping around so that front tyre is bigger than the rear. You can get a decent enough tyre in the Reba.

Also, this kind of snag tends to be a little bit self-perpetuating – you feel not quite at home, so you (maybe unconsciously) look less far ahead, you second-guess your lines and wrestle with the bike just a wee bit… and all of that just makes feel less comfortable, so you do the negative stuff all the more… and so on. So, when you make whatever change you decide on consciously nail the trails and try not to let the negative thoughts creep in for a few miles. That’s my suggestion anyway.

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

Well, i have put a 2.1 racing ralph on the back looks a lot smaller than the 2.25 tyre up front and a lot smaller than the 2.2 RK that was on their. Hope that might help, seemed a bit better in my round the garden test but that far from real world testing (the joys of working from home) ! will see tomorrow.

Think the above is very true, need to stop thinking about it and see then.
    Thanks

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

Due to the snow pretty inconclusive re improved descending feel, what I did notice as I mainly stuck to roads, it bobs terribly when out of the saddle, I am not saying I have the smoothest pedaling stroke ever but not bad at all (and again never felt it bobbing on the blur)…I pumped the shock up to 220psi which seems and insane amount seeing my weight (sag is not more than a few mm) , it still bobs. A little bit is fine but it nods terribly and think this is causing the ‘dead’ and slow feel that the bike has.
    What pressures are people running?
    I am beginning to think that there is something wrong with the shock.

thepurist

My old school Anthem rides best with only about 10-15% sag (no idea what pressure that is, I just fiddle until I get the sag right). If you start running it with much more than that it whizzes through it’s travel over every stone and root.

gruffalo
    Free Member

Could you take the spacers out of your REBAs and extend them to 115mm travel. Not a huge difference but it might be enough to help and it won’t cost you anymore than a bottle of fork fluid and a bit of your time. I’m sure someone has posted a video showing how to do it on youtube.

I have a 2010 X2 and I run the shock at somewhere around 215psi I was told that it was a 1:1 ratio regarding shock pressuer and weight. I’m about 15st in my kit so the shock was set at 210psi to start and after a bit of fettling I settled on 215psi.

Bolt

220psi sounds way too much I’m 72kg and run around 140psi. I have the Float RP2(Tf tuned) and run it almost entirely in the pro-pedal ‘on’ setting. It bobs very little.
    Your float should have a certain level of pro-pedal built in.
    Possibly a problem with the shock.
    I’d think running 220psi and very little sag, wont help the feeling of being thrown over the front!

Bolt

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

Yup totally agree, 220psi is stupidly high, the blur ran at 170psi.
    Yes the float has mid level setting on the pro-pedal built in. I think maybe there is something wrong with it as a bike that is supposedly a well designed bike feels likes like a full sus from the early 90’s or a tesco special!
    Don’t normally run it that high but just trying while messing around on the road to get it at least feeling ‘alive’ and fast with some sort of kick to it, on the smooth stuff, as a starting point.

rkk01
    Free Member

Mine runs at 150psi!!! and I’m 15st without riding kit.

Although I will pump it up if I’ve got a lot of fireroad miles ahead of me.

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

mmmm, maybe a call to mojo on moday, as 220 and still bobbing seems stupid, 220psi and my weight seems stupid.
    Plus I am pretty sure I am not getting full travel, obviously when run at a more normal pressures.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Giant Anthem help/advice or alternative’ is closed to new replies.