• This topic has 305 replies, 106 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 306 total)
  • #TOTW Ghosts – do they exist?
  • Drac

Place of execution of the innocents?

Pretty much every city had Gallows. Yet some how no one has reported an evil spirit.

slowoldman

You should try an experiment to see if it is real

Could you advise how such an experiment would be constructed?

chewkw
    Free Member

Pretty much every city had Gallows. Yet some how no one has reported an evil spirit.

Yeah probably most of them were guilty of some sort …

You want to try those areas where people were wrongly accused and executed. You then just go over to provoke them for a reaction like spitting on “them” or their resting place. If you are lucky they may be around to react otherwise they might just be too polite to react to deliberate provocation.

P/s: Drac if you are visiting Holy Island you can try the grave yard at the Church to see if you get any reaction. Both of us (a friend) got something in our eyes but mine was over in one day while his lasted for more than a year in one eye. I have very bad hay fever but he does not so it should be me but not sure why he got it …

sirromj

However such an experiment is devised, it will need filming regardless. Luckily there’s literally thousands of ‘what best camera for ghost hunting’ pages on the internet.

Drac

If you are lucky they may be around to react otherwise they might just be too polite to react to deliberate provocation.

If they’re not around what time are they due back? Do they pop out for a bit?

Polite evil spirits, bit of an oxymoron.

Drac if you are visiting Holy Island you can try the grave yard at the Church to see if you get any reaction.

More chance of getting something at the Graveyard next to Pink Lane.

chewkw
    Free Member

More chance of getting something at the Graveyard next to Pink Lane.

Will check that out when I have time but I think the one at Holy Island might be more reactive considering the butchering by the Vikings.

funkmasterp

Look around you has this covered:

chewkw
    Free Member

Look around you has this covered:

LOL! Just use the camera on your mobile phone to see if you can get some orbs … Not sure how good is the camera but give it a try. If you can get them in your house then there is probably “someone” sharing the house with you.

Houns

Yeah I’m sure the camera on my phone will pick up some orbs…. When I use the flash and it reflects off some dust in the air

chewkw
    Free Member

Yeah I’m sure the camera on my phone will pick up some orbs…. When I use the flash and it reflects off some dust in the air

Just set it up properly so that there are no interference from lighting etc … cleaned lens etc.

Houns

And no dust/water in the air

chewkw
    Free Member

And no dust/water in the air

It would be wonderful if you can get red or green orbs … coz they can be nastier. LOL!

Houns

Yeah of course they can, and nothing at all to do with light and water 🌈

p7eaven
    Free Member

chewkw, I have to ask – what did science do to you thst made you distrust it so much!? 😂

Drac

Will check that out when I have time

I would maybe ask a local about Pink Lane before you go.

Cougar

Did someone put 50p in chewie’s Halfwit Engine again?

Cougar

A while back I was coming back in from a ride at dusk and saw some weird stuff in the distance. Looked like fireworks but they were looping round each other in a way which would be impossible for normal fireworks.

Once I got home started googling and there just happened to be a fireworks “competition” (aka display) going on at the local stately home and part of it included drones. Problem solved even if less exciting than aliens.

I had a similar experience not so long ago. Weird lights in the sky, dancing about. The most rational (that’s the word I was looking for earlier, @dyna-ti !) explanation I could come up with on the spot was they were some sort of bioluminescent birds. It was hazy so I couldn’t see forms, just the lights. It was properly eerie, I dragged my partner outside to confirm I hadn’t lost the plot.

I realised, they were dancing to a kind of pattern. Maybe some sort of mating ritual? They seemed to be about a block away, so I walked down the back street to get closer. This didn’t seem to help. It felt like the temperature had dropped considerably whilst I’d been stood outside trying to work out what the hell I was looking at. Did I mention, it was weird? They were really close, I thought maybe kids buggering about with torches but I scoured the area and found nothing. And again, there seemed to be a pattern. By this point I was honestly battling to come up with some explanation that made any sort of sense and genuinely – as a sceptic – starting to wonder whether I’d tripped over something outside of my understanding which might question my world view.

I hit Facebook. Loads of local people posting, “anyone else seen those weird lights?” Not just me, then.

As it turned out, there was some sort of event on the other side of town. I don’t even remember what it was now, maybe a fair or an opening of something. What I was observing was high-powered spotlights lighting up low cloud / mist from several miles away even though it looked like they were really close and almost directly above me.

OwenP

Love ghost stories and thanks to everyone above for sharing theirs. Really good fun reading them and they are sometimes proper puzzles.

RE Uncanny on BBC Sounds – I like it, but it jars with my “inner cynic”; Danny is such a sycophant, letting the most glaring “WTF” moments from the storytellers go unchallenged. I don’t actually think you can aggressively challenge people if you want them to share their stories, and I do want to hear them (and Danny wants another series)! But, Louis Theroux would be great at this, not the Yyvette Fielding types, it would make the stories better.

My story is, I’m an ecologist. I go out at night to woodlands, castles abandoned buildings and so on, to (mostly) find bats, but other nocturnal species too. I take IR night vision scopes and cameras, thermal kit, high frequency detectors and so on. I’ve never seen or felt anything, ever, but I have sort of hallucinated a few times just before dawn. I do think some people are more prone to these encounters though; I think both the sceptics and believers probably agree on that, but for different reasons.

Still love ghost stories though. Right or wrong, I hope people keep telling them and it would be a massive shame if we all agreed they were wrong & should stop.

UFO sightings can get in the sea though.

r1ch
    Free Member

My mum used to own a house which was built in the 1700s. It had been divided up into several separate houses and had a rich and varied history including a mental hospital… I consider myself pretty level headed and a non believer for the record but I distinctly remember an “atmosphere” the first day I walked in. I used to stay on a weekend and I distinctly remember watching the multi cd hifi turn itself on, disc tray spin around and turn off again. I also remember it blaring out music one evening when we were all upstairs. A faulty manchine perhaps but my mum and sister swear blind to this day (25 years later) that they were watching tv one Sunday afternoon when some subtitle type text popped up on the screen for 5 seconds or so which said…THERE IS A GHOST…

Cougar

18th Century ghosts are well known for their consummate expertise in operating CD players. 😁

leffeboy

One Sunday I got put down in the gents cloakroom

are you a ghost now then? come to haunt the forum

cb200
    Free Member
    Drac

Sunday afternoon when some subtitle type text popped up on the screen for 5 seconds or so which said…THERE IS A GHOST…

Yeah that would ghosts they like to warn you they are there and not a show with subtitles.

johndoh
    Free Member

I just put my Alexa on and Ghostbusters by Ray Parker Junior came on. He ain’t afraid of no ghosts apparently so now I am confused. Should I be worried about ghosts in the house or worried we don’t have any? Surely it’s a sign.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Having debugged computers, debugged electric, electronic and mechanical devices I have seen how you can end up with really odd behaviour when some odd combination of circumstances arrise.

I think this is ghosts. Really odd combinations of circumstance resulting in odd behaviour.

Cougar

Ghost in the Machine?

Drac

Sounds like it could be major.

nt80085

Myself and the good wife had a recent poltergeist experience when we stayed at a grade II listed cottage in Malmesbury. The house had recently been renovated and we all know if there is anything a spirit hates its messing with their walls and colour schemes.

Anyway, two bedrooms on first floor and narrow creaky staircase up to two bedrooms in loft space. One room is padlocked shut, we can see through the door crack there are a couple of bed sheets hung up as if left to air dry. I make a joke about the ghosts upstairs and perhaps someone is locked in the padlocked room. You know, fun stuff to get my wife in the mood to celebrate her 40th.

The first night went fine, except the room went suddenly very chilly in the bedroom in the middle of the night despite the heating being on (its a holiday cottage, you’re gonna run the heating 24/7!) Second night is when things get spooky. Asleep I then get woken by a sudden drop in temperature again. I then hear a floorboard creak in the bathroom opposite our bedroom. I’m laying in bed bricking it, ears pricked, ready to run off and leave the wife to fight the demon spirit haunting our chocolate box cottage. About 30 seconds after I hear the creak again and then unexpectedly the electric toothbrush suddenly turns on and vibrating loudly on the vanity unit(i know, posh cottage eh?) Well F me sideways, I’m now thinking how did that start up! I gingerly walk into bathroom turn off toothbrush and out it back on side and go back to bed. 5 minutes later the tooth brush goes off again, wife still asleep, me properly bricking it. I go into bathroom turn it off and put it under a towel on the floor. No ghost will find that, ha, I win! Back to bed, after about half an hour I fall asleep. Vrrrrrrr, the toothbrush goes off again! Sh*t the bed. I bring the toothbrush into the bedroom, wife now awake and also thinking we now have a poltergeist that wants to brush its teeth or worse still, ours! I hide the toothbrush under my clothes bag and you guess it, about half hour later it goes off again. At this point I’m pretty annoyed with this poltergeist. Gone past being scared (I may be lieing a touch). Luckily I have my trusty leatherman (juice c2, you know you wanted to know the model) and take the toothbrush apart in the middle of the night. Couldnt find anything wrong with it so it goes back together. We somehow make it through the night and wake with really really clean teeth. That’s because we always brush before going to sleep. Despite the lack of sleep, conversation for the rest of the day is about the poltergeist, how its probably Julian the politician from ‘ghosts’ using all his effort to turn the toothbrush on each time. We drive home still discussing about it and how there cannot be any explanation for it. Its a mystery.

That evening when we’re at home our bags are at the top of the landing with wash bags still inside. All of a sudden we here something vibrating from the bag (my bag, not the wifes-wink). Its the toothbrush going off again. Que lots of laughing and relief, its a faulty toothbrush that just happened to turn itself on, in the middle of the night in a spooky cottage, how could we be so stupid! Toothbrush gets put beside bins that night.

Next day, I wake up and walk into the bathroom, wash my face in the sink. I notice out the corner of my eye an object on the shelf. The toothbrush is is back in the room on the sink. Shudders.

Cool story I know. Oh and that last paragraph I made up.

molgrips
    Free Member

So let’s say that someone can leave their psychic imprint on a place that persists through time. How come that extends to their clothes?

donkeysled

@Revs1972, believe that,
    My experiences,
    Every time we went over to my Great Nans she had a tin of Foxes Glacier mints that we used to raid.
    On the day of her death I was on the slopes snowboarding in the middle of nowhere about to drop in.
    An overwhelming smell of Foxes mints hit me and immediately I thought of my nan.
    When I got home my mum told me of her passing on the day I smelt the mints.

Another; I did a work visit to a 500 year old house. On leaving the property I drove the car out of the gate and got out to close it. A woman in white was walking towards me who I thought was the owner for a second coming up to close the gate for me, I was about to turn and go back to my car when she disappeared.
    Haven’t read all the thread but 6 pages means its controversial.
    I believe.

I also believe my dad visited me once in a hotel corridor after a night out. My dad died when I was 2.
    It was so vivid and my good friends stayed with me whilst I could see him and didn’t judge. I believe he came to me that day for some reason.
    My girlfriend on the other hand has made me swear to never ever drink Long Island Ice Teas again

shermer75
    Free Member

So let’s say that someone can leave their psychic imprint on a place that persists through time. How come that extends to their clothes?

Why the monochrome?

donkeysled

I see its the same heros on here that made me so bored I took a good 6 months off from this forum. Noting changes.

molgrips
    Free Member

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if there is something weird going on, however ghosts as such seem unlikely.

How do we know that we only exist in three dimensions, for starters?

dyna-ti

Did someone put 50p in chewie’s Halfwit Engine again?

You know how you keep posting up little apology’s about how you didnt mean to be insulting.

Well clearly the truth of the matter is you are insulting people,and yet again you are acting like a complete dickhead.

Were you bullied at school or something ?.

Seems when you disagree with someone or some point, instead of either accepting it or at least debating the point, you launch into trying to ridicule that person.

You don’t think there’s anything such as ghosts, or spirits or a residual energy force, and that’s fine. You haven’t experienced anything like that so have a right top be skeptical.

Other people have had things happen they can’t explain. So why then are you constantly trying to demand that person is wrong, and they shouldn’t speculate like thousands of others that their experience had some sort of psychic reason, especially when we have such little understanding of such matters.

So I’ll ask you what is dark matter ?. Show me the force that is gravity ?. Explain to me the nature of the universe, how did it come into being, or a dozen other related scientific questions.

You cannot. I would think you believe in such things, though they are all unseen forces and you cannot explain them yourself.

Your overreactions are very interesting, from a  psychological standpoint. Thats why I asked the question if you were bullied as a child.

I was bullied at secondary school. But that dropped off quite quickly as people found i would happily punch them in the face. So in the first year I ended up in maybe 2 or 3 fights a week. After that people found it was best to leave well alone.

Chewie is talking about something he has experienced. You are bullying him for his views(Or beliefs if you want to call them that ) Now I’m not threatening you , as im all growed up now, but honestly, you talk to someone like that in the pub, you’ll find yourself on the floor pretty quickly.

Perhaps this lockdown has left you thinking you can say anything, insult people, bully them even, by the fact you’ve not been moving in any social circles in this time. Or perhaps this is your nature and the reason you speak to people as you do is because you have no social circle to keep such outbursts in check.

kennyp
    Free Member

Well said.

chewkw
    Free Member

How do we know that we only exist in three dimensions, for starters?

There are 31 dimensions or existence. We only know two physical ones that we refer to as the form or solid or physical dimensions. We are coarse.

For those who frequently experience the “signs” that means you have a natural brain frequency that is tuned very close to other dimensions. Keep your observation. Most people are so busy in their life they don’t notice they have the ability. Our mind are “noisy”.

Most ghosts are harmless other than perhaps trying to have a bit of fun to let you know their existence because they are bored. Time and space is slightly meaningless for them until they are recycled into existence etc again. However, it is the demonic ones that will have more fun with you because they have objective or intention about something they want such as to absorb your energy force. A bit like computer game where you start to collect stuff to strengthen yourself.

Anyway, keep observing if you those that experience them often but just don’t indulge too much in them or you will loose your mind. Yes, you will.

reeksy

unexpectedly the electric toothbrush suddenly turns on and vibrating loudly… turn off toothbrush and out it back on side and go back to bed. 5 minutes later the tooth brush goes off again… Vrrrrrrr, the toothbrush goes off again!

… hang on a second.

I bring the toothbrush into the bedroom… I hide the toothbrush under my clothes bag and you guess it, about half hour later it goes off again. …take the toothbrush apart in the middle of the night. Couldnt find anything wrong with it so it goes back together.

… almost…but not quite.

All of a sudden we here something vibrating from the bag (my bag, not the wifes-wink). Its the toothbrush going off again.

Oh, come on. Could you not have just taken the battery out or something?

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Most ghosts are harmless other than perhaps trying to have a bit of fun to let you know their existence because they are bored

I’ve not read the whole thread, but just jumping in now, ^ is a wind-up, right?

blokeuptheroad

There are 31 dimensions or existence.

You are Bhuddist right?  I ask to give us all some context to the stuff you are coming out with.  You see to most Westerners, me included all of this sounds utterly bonkers.  It makes it slightly more understandable* though, if it is based on some kind of religious belief, rather than something completely made up in your own head.  Just want to know where you are coming from.

*As in understanding how you have come to believe these things, not in giving any credence to those beliefs.

theotherjonv

As a scientist I’m naturally sceptical.

However, I’m also aware that we don’t understand everything, and in many cases in the past we have had to relearn our understanding as our observations and theories have improved. I don’t understand therefore why people are so closed to the idea of ‘ghosts’. Particularly as we are looking through a westernised lens; many cultures (maybe with better understanding of this than us) have a strong belief of ghosts and ancestries, and maybe on STW-Japan or wherever this discussion is going totally differently.

I’m particularly interested by the ‘smelt mints the moment my nan passed’ type of observation. See also the ‘got a pain in my arm, learned later that my brother who lives in another part of the world broke his arm at that moment’. Scientists are at present working on quantum entanglement – a phenomenon that works in theory (even if notably Einstein agreed the maths works but he still didn’t believe it) but that we struggle to demonstrate beyond a few atoms or particles. But in the same way as all our material science still can’t make a replacement hip joint that’s anywhere near as good as the ones evolution has given us, who’s to say that nature and evolution hasn’t made us ‘quantumly entangled’ with other people so that we can in some way feel or sense things that are happening to them elsewhere?

https://www.science.org/content/article/einstein-s-spooky-action-distance-spotted-objects-almost-big-enough-see

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 306 total)

The topic ‘#TOTW Ghosts – do they exist?’ is closed to new replies.