Ghetto tubeless

Home Forum Bike Forum Ghetto tubeless

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Ghetto tubeless
  • I'm thinking along similar lines. There was a thread a couple of days ago that seemd to indicate that sealing was the problem, and used tyres might be too loose to seal properly without an industrial compressor.

Van Halen

if you`ve had loads of punctures you might get sprayed with goop as it tries to seal the holes.

give it a go. but do so outside of the living room.

steve_b77

But once any little holes are sealed they'll be fine?

steve_b77

One quick question:

DO you have to use new tyres or can you get away with tyres that have been on the bike in a normal tubed set up?

Premier Icon ahwiles
    Subscriber

when i've done 'ghetto' i've had more luck with old tyres.

box-fresh tyres have been a pain, i've never managed to get one to seal without first leaving it overnight on a rim, inflated with an inner tube, this seems to give it shape, or something.

(Ghetto is not a weight-saver over a normal tube/tyre set up, and ime it results in more deflations)

steve_b77

ahwiles -> when you say more deflations, how many do you mean and in comparison to what?

Premier Icon ahwiles
    Subscriber

hi steve,

with tubes, i get about 1 puncture every 2 months (none in 2 weeks in the alps).

i try to run Ghetto on my Dh bike (both wheels mavic 721 and 2.5 highrollers), but for the moment have given up.

because:

a) i found wheels would randomly deflate over night (no cause found), i guess this would be about 1 per fortnight.

b) i never heard any burps, but would finish a rocky Dh run with softer tyres than i started with, and a good coating of sealant all over my back / legs / bike / bag. on a longish run (10mins) enough air would leak out to cause a failure (loss of seal, goo everywhere, friends falling over laughing uncontrollably).

Ghetto ISN'T a weight saver compared to normal xc tubes – which weigh 200g, you replace one of those with about 100g of bmx innertube, and 100g of sealant.

Ghetto does offer a 200g saving per wheel compared to Dh tubes (400g), and so i'm prepared to give it another chance or 2.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Ghetto tubeless’ is closed to new replies.