Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Getting Thyroid Meds without a GP registration
  • bentandbroken

Is there a way to get Thyroid medications without having registered with a GP?

Can you get them over the counter from a pharmacy?

Searching on Google seems fraught with the danger of buying potentially ‘dodgy’ stuff

I need to keep this as bland and detail free as possible, because it is not about me and I don’t want to reveal too many details of someone else life online

TIA

allthegear
    Free Member

Thyroid meds can be particularly dangerous, if given incorrectly. Why not just go get a private prescription if you don’t want an NHS one? Will have to pay a doc but at least they (might) check it will be safe.

If the medicine has [POM] written on the box, the pharmacist definitely won’t sell it to you without a prescription, unless they are hugely dodgy.

I’ve bought prescription meds online before without a prescription but I think you might be pushing it with this one!

Rachel

cinnamon_girl

E-mail in profile, I’m hypo.

Edit: just to add that despite being diagnosed by the NHS I have to buy my own.

legolam
    Free Member

As far as I’m aware, both levothyroxine and liothyronine are prescription only medications in the UK ie can only be legally dispensed by a pharmacist after prescription from a “suitably qualified healthcare professional”.

theteaboy
    Free Member

Alberto Salazar’s getting a bit brazen these days.

bear-uk
    Free Member

My Thyroxine meds are free and entitles me to free prescriptions for life for anything.
    Its apparently classed as a supplement I believe.
    Saved me a fortune over the years.

footflaps

Just travel to Africa, you can buy absolutely anything over the counter.

cinnamon_girl

I buy mine online, from overseas.

bentandbroken

Thanks for the replies everyone (apart from theteaboy and footflaps 😆 )

CG, I may be in touch. As long as it’s a safe source and no prescription is required it might be the way to go (for now)

DrP

Moderately pertinent question I suppose..
    Are you deficient in thyroid hormones?

DrP

footflaps

Moderately pertinent question I suppose..

Kids these days will get their kicks anyway they can 😉

allthegear
    Free Member

Ha ha- they might get a bit of a surprise if they were to take what I was ordering!! 😉

bentandbroken

At DrP it’s not me so I don’t know the answer…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Getting Thyroid Meds without a GP registration’ is closed to new replies.