Getting Thyroid Meds without a GP registration

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Getting Thyroid Meds without a GP registration
  • Is there a way to get Thyroid medications without having registered with a GP?

Can you get them over the counter from a pharmacy?

Searching on Google seems fraught with the danger of buying potentially ‘dodgy’ stuff

I need to keep this as bland and detail free as possible, because it is not about me and I don’t want to reveal too many details of someone else life online

TIA

allthegear

Thyroid meds can be particularly dangerous, if given incorrectly. Why not just go get a private prescription if you don’t want an NHS one? Will have to pay a doc but at least they (might) check it will be safe.

If the medicine has [POM] written on the box, the pharmacist definitely won’t sell it to you without a prescription, unless they are hugely dodgy.

I’ve bought prescription meds online before without a prescription but I think you might be pushing it with this one!

Rachel

Premier Icon cinnamon_girl
    Subscriber

E-mail in profile, I’m hypo.

Edit: just to add that despite being diagnosed by the NHS I have to buy my own.

legolam

As far as I’m aware, both levothyroxine and liothyronine are prescription only medications in the UK ie can only be legally dispensed by a pharmacist after prescription from a “suitably qualified healthcare professional”.

the teaboy

Alberto Salazar’s getting a bit brazen these days.

bear-uk

My Thyroxine meds are free and entitles me to free prescriptions for life for anything.
    Its apparently classed as a supplement I believe.
    Saved me a fortune over the years.

footflaps

Just travel to Africa, you can buy absolutely anything over the counter.

Premier Icon cinnamon_girl
    Subscriber

I buy mine online, from overseas.

Thanks for the replies everyone (apart from theteaboy and footflaps 😆 )

CG, I may be in touch. As long as it’s a safe source and no prescription is required it might be the way to go (for now)

DrP

Moderately pertinent question I suppose..
    Are you deficient in thyroid hormones?

DrP

footflaps

Moderately pertinent question I suppose..

Kids these days will get their kicks anyway they can 😉

allthegear

Ha ha- they might get a bit of a surprise if they were to take what I was ordering!! 😉

At DrP it’s not me so I don’t know the answer…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Getting Thyroid Meds without a GP registration’ is closed to new replies.