Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Getting non-close shave…
  • fatmountain
    Free Member

Now I’m aging, when I shave with a razor I look like a spitting image version of my younger self. When I grow a beard I look like someone who deals Spice. So, the happy medium is that sort of three-day stubble look. Is there a shavor that you can recommend which doesn’t do a baby shave? Should I be looking into “beard trimmers” or what?

Houns

I just use normal hair clippers on lowest setting they go/no guard

windyg
    Free Member

I use a beard trimmer with the guard thing off

gingerbllr
    Free Member

Foil shaver does that for me. It’s a pretty annoying thing to use though it does have a built in beard trimmer thing.

fatmountain
    Free Member

Any recommendations for beard trimmers then? Don’t mind spending more if it’s worth it. Life’s too short for Amazon reviews.

dovebiker

Philips One Blade

richardkennerley

I’ve got a Boots beard trimmer. Cost me £11. Been using the same one since I gave up wet shaving about 7 years ago. Shave once a week with the number one guard. Only problem is the mess so I just do it in the garden 👌

Never oiled it or anything. Just works.

petrieboy

Wahl balding clipper is what I use for just this – it’s a good bit closer than a standard set of clippers so on my face it’s a bit like 36hrs after a wet shave.

john_l
    Free Member

Philips One Blade.

Designed exactly for what you want. Comes with a couple of guards for different lengths – 1, 3 and 5 I think. 1 is perfect and can use it without to get a close, but not razor close, shave.

Bladed last forever too.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Shave once a week with the number one guard. Only problem is the mess so I just do it in the garden 👌

Aye, twice a week here, head done with no guard, beard at 2mm, all done in the shower cubicle before water goes on.

I’d also tell you about how the chest, armpits and bawsack gets the same, but certain members of this diaspora will have me down as a child abuser, so won’t. 😉

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Thread winner: https://www.boots.com/babyliss-for-men-super-stubble-xtp-beard-trimmer-10216738

Me and all my baldy beardy mates have ended up with this after trying all sorts of other tools or techniques, and agree it’s best by far.

molgrips
    Free Member

I had this exact problem. I think I look rubbish clean shaven and much prefer myself with a bit of stubble. So I use a Babyliss i-trim, which is a beard trimmer that goes down to 0.4mm

aide

Same, I’m not keen on a razor shave these days. Got myself a cheap remington barba beard trimmer and just take the guard off it, use about once a week and seems to have lasted quite a while (have I just jinxed it now?)

Stainypants

I can’t recommend the one blade, I had one of the top the range ones and never got on with it plus the blades are expensive. I picked up one of the Philips 3000 as above for about the price of a single one blade and used it for three years. I treated myself to the 5000 this year as it has a longer guard, as well as the short one but I don’t think its any better than the 3000 for stubble.

cheers_drive

I’ve had a I-Stubble back in the day, then a Philips with a vacuum for the trimmings, then a Philips 5000. I only use it once or twice a week but the charging / battery failed on all. The latest only lasted 18 months.
    Not sure which to try next, only need it for stubble not beard.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Getting non-close shave…’ is closed to new replies.