Viewing 9 posts - 161 through 169 (of 169 total)
  • Getting into skateboarding at 45
  • stevomcd
    Free Member

Just got into skating at 44 (and just turned 45….).

Loving it. I didn’t really skate at all when I was a kid, but I guess it helps that I’m a very experienced snowboarder (18 seasons, full time instructor/guide for the last 7!). 

My initial ambition was just to be able to cruise laps of the pump track, but I managed that within a few sessions, so I’m now upping my sights to being able to ride the bowl without looking like a total kook. Still don’t really have any intentions of learning any tech tricks, just like cruising transitions.I initially bought an Arbor cruiser complete, which is great for the pump track. Now also got one of those Element Star Wars completes (thanks to the awesome dudes at Rollersnakes!) which is better in the bowl.

charlie.farley

@stevomcd your mention of Star Wars Element should be a Public Service Announcement…

£25 Millenium Falcon pre-built complete skateboard

stevomcd
    Free Member

@charlie.farley yeah, it’s an outrageous deal. I’ve got the Death Star one:

https://rollersnakes.co.uk/products/element-x-star-wars-swxe-death-star-pre-built-complete-8?pr_prod_strat=copurchase&pr_rec_id=02a138d7d&pr_rec_pid=7027153469619&pr_ref_pid=7027153600691&pr_seq=uniform

Mike at Rollersnakes is a top dude. I’ve met him a few times and ridden both bikes and snowboards with him. He’s good mates with Rab, who guides for us. As if Rab’s bike skills are not depressing enough, he’s pretty impressive on a skateboard as well. There’s a whole old-man skate crew centered around Rollersnakes. The Groans Brigade. 60% effort, 100% of the time. They run a contest called the Voltarol Open.

Action shot! 🤣

https://www.instagram.com/p/CwURZPIoVpL/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

pk13

That boards cheap at half the price just needs some proper wheels.

charlie.farley

IMG_1077

Jim Martin, who first learned skateboarding aged 50

OwenP

There’s a whole old-man skate crew centered around Rollersnakes. The Groans Brigade. 60% effort, 100% of the time. They run a contest called the Voltarol Open.

Also check out “Dadlands Carpark” for the associated stuff, really nice and relatable. 

kimbers

sending it…..

…..off a very small kerb,  best way to spend my lunch brake

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C3bHEcLsUoG/?igsh=OTB4ZTExemNrM3Bm

scruff
    Free Member

Break. Potentially snapping your ankles is no excuse for poor spelling.

easily
    Free Member

Ok, that makes me feel better – even I can drop off higher than kimbers vid, and I’m 60 this year.

I can still (just about) olly 180º, and do a 1800º spin (on the ground obviously, not Tony Hawk style).

I’m gnarlier than I thought.

Viewing 9 posts - 161 through 169 (of 169 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.