Getting chased by flies?

Home Forum Bike Forum Getting chased by flies?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Getting chased by flies?
  • munrobiker

Are you wearing bright clothes? I know if I’m in a field in my hi-vis at work they swarm around.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Various things attract them but the worst I found was Fruictus shampoo and gel they loved that especially the gel as it was made with fruit gum. I sorted that by going almost bald. The do seem to prefer some people over others though.

kevin1911

Come to think of it, I was wearing bright clothing on those rides. Hadn’t considered that as a factor!

rocketman

Felt sorry for a couple of horse riders the other day. Plodding along one of the fireroads surrounded by a fog of flying insects

yorkshire89

Some people’s sweat is just more attractive to fly’s than others. I seem to be one of them 🙁

Premier Icon zilog6128
    Subscriber

Felt sorry for a couple of horse riders the other day.

Then you remembered what a mess they make of bridleways and laughed 😆

kevin1911

On recent rides I seem to have been attracting flies like a big steamy poo. I’ve noticed that some other riders also attract swarms whilst others don’t.

I’ve been assure independently assured that I don’t smell like poo, horses or any other farmyard animal. I’ve tried showering with soap, I’ve tried showering without soap, but it doesn’t seem to make a difference.

Obviously going faster would be helpful, but I already go as fast as my wee legs will take me 🙂

Anyone know what it is that attracts them, or how to repel them?

Yellow in particular is a favorite of flies

Premier Icon The Pinkster
    Subscriber

Sweat usually attracts them. According to my Dad they’re after the salts in it.

No idea how true this is but he is a biologist of some sort.

Dibbs

They say the flies on the Quantocks can do 12mph, so you need to get a move on. 🙂

Trimix

Problem is the buggers start to draft you, so no matter how fast you ride a few will be tucked in behind like bloody roadies.

Ive also found recently I keep eating loads of them – like Haribos, only cheap and less sugary. (actualy they taste shite)

i had this for the first time last night – i forgot to wash my jersey from last sweaty ride 😆

so that wont have helped i guess, but more importantly i forgot to put my smidge repellant spray on last night and low and behold every climb i had a swarm around me, pretty annoying actually!

so no idea if smidge also acts as fly repellant too but i certainly will spray my arms and face again before heading out next time

Premier Icon tthew
    Subscriber

actualy they taste shite

There’s a simple explaination for that.
    You are what you eat!!

The little bastards love me, I put it down to me being a sweaty pig…

Premier Icon seadog101
    Subscriber

Bright clothes? Nope, all in black and they follow me too. Maybe they think I’m a big brundle-fly and need my protection.

Mainly CO2 that attracts them, hold yer breath.

coatesy

I remember a mate trying to outrun a swarm of them, he was surrounded everytime he stopped, nobody told him that they all pitched on his camelbak and got a lift every time he pedalled off.

Premier Icon colournoise
    Subscriber

I reckon hair gel is an issue. Riding I get little trouble from flies but walking I get ‘swarmed’. Only difference I can see is riding my helmet covers the vast amount of product in my hair.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Are you riding in North Ont-a-rio-i-o?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjLBXb1kgMo[/video]

Pogo

It’s probably all your whinging that attracts them 🙄

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Getting chased by flies?’ is closed to new replies.