Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Getting back on the bike after hurt back
  • scotabroad

Two and a half weeks ago I ended up in a crumpled heap in my drive after hurting my lumbar area. It was full blown spasm and absolute agony, had to get carted off to A&E, x-rays, morphine etc. So its very likely slipped/ herniated disc. Good news after several days as an invalid with the aid of various excersizes and increasing mobility I am now off pain killers and recovering great. Have not done any strenuous activity yet but hour plus walks with the dog at normal walking speed are now do-able.

Seeing physio this week for advice but just wanted to ask the team here if they any experience of getting back into the saddle and any dos and donts for getting fitness back.

jonba
    Free Member

Listen to your physio, listen to your body, take it slow.

Pilates has been amazing for my back and core. Never had many issues but since I started going I feel so much more flexible and even a little taller. Can be tough on your body though so maybe seek advice if you have a bad back.

scotabroad

Thanks Jonba, the quandry I have is at what pain level should I stop but I guess thats impossible to know and finding out what improves movement is the key thing.

allthepies
    Free Member

Sounds like you don’t know what caused it still ?

MRI scan would help to work that out, did the x-rays reveal anything ?

jamiep
    Free Member

likely to be a long and frustratingly slow recovery. It took me a while to get over the mindset that exercise must be about high intensity, but pilates helps

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Getting back on the bike after hurt back’ is closed to new replies.