• This topic has 10 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by tomd.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • getting a fair value for a car
  • scaredypants

You know how you should never sell stuff to family or friends ?

Well, if you “had” to do so with a car (a mainstream but not very common model, very low mileage car), how would you value it FAIRLY ?

Is webuyanycar’s openning offer a decent method

spooky_b329

I wouldn’t use webuyancar as a guide, imagine you are buying one and browse the ads to get a feel, you should be able to get a ballpark to price within.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Pick a number between Auto Trader’s private sale valuation and what the same car in similar condition is being advertised at on Auto Trader.

CountZero

Have a look at Cazoo to see if they have something similar as well.

Flaperon

WBAC was surprisingly competitive for me so don’t write off their valuation.

Cougar

Parker’s has been the de facto guide since I used to buy their paper catalogue guides 30 years ago.

WBAC was surprisingly competitive for me so don’t write off their valuation.

What they said they might give you or their actual final offer?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

WBAC was very good with us turned up and they gave us the money they said they would. No harm just sticking the details in and getting a quote. You can probably get more selling privately but depends how much hassle you want

Parker’s is a waste of time at the minute as prices are changing daily due to shortages of new cars.

Have a look at autotrader too

Oh and just because it’s not that common doesn’t work in your favour necessarily

Flaperon

What they said they might give you or their actual final offer?

They checked the car over and stuck with their offer. They do have a £75 processing fee and a £25 same-day transaction fee, though. Personally I think this should be reflected in the price they quote, but it is on their website if you look.

I actually declined (fortunately!) because my new car was delayed by the lease company until September, but they did honour their quoted price.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Parker’s has been a nonsense for a long time – kinda like they are stuck in the 30 year ago…..

Currently unless it’s something very special an average of selling prices of similar vehicles.

Wbac were good with my folks too. They got private sale prices as it was a desirable car in as described condition.

Folk get up set when their raft they thought was mint but isn’t and that wbac don’t want is knocked down when they get there …..

b230ftw
    Free Member

I actually declined (fortunately!) because my new car was delayed by the lease company until September, but they did honour their quoted price.

I chopped in a cheap car with them and they were pretty fair with me. I was chatting to them on how they operate and basically they each location has a target to buy a certain percentage (IIRC he said 50%) of cars that turn up. So they do have an incentive to stick with what the online valuation has quoted the customer or they won’t hit that target.
    I am assuming that they might have some cars which are more desirable than others so they may overlook some defects for those or be more picky about the less desirable ones but that would be the same if you sold your car to anyone else so it’s pretty fair.

The biggest issue with selling to a friend or family member is what happens if something goes wrong soon after you sell it. Selling it any other way means you don’t have to worry about it afterwards. The only way I’d sell one to a friend or relative would be if they understood that I wouldn’t sort out any issues but I would be very honest with them with what I knew about it.

tomd
    Free Member

I sold a car to a family member many years ago, I priced it basically for it’s garage trade in value. I figured that was fair as I didn’t have any worries with being scammed similar to a trade in but they also saved a few quid vs 2nd hand forecourt / private sale price. It lasted them a decade and 150k miles with zero breakdowns and his utter neglect (e.g. no oil change for 3 years). I always got regular updates on the car and his constant bother with the glove box latch.

Never again, thank god the thing lasted so long it got replaced as it looked like a skip rather than failing as I would have never heard the end of it. Anyways, never again.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘getting a fair value for a car’ is closed to new replies.