Viewing 30 posts - 121 through 150 (of 150 total)
  • Update: Gee Atherton ‘Not Too Bad’ After Massive Rampage Crash
  • reeksy

telling Minaar he should retire as he’s too old..

Bugger off!

Whoops!

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

It’s his choice, if he’s not hitting features as part of a RedBull event, he’ll be hitting it as part of Atherton Bikes, or Dyfi, or etc etc.

No it’s not… that’s like telling Minaar he should retire as he’s too old..

As an employer you do need to make that call eventually, if there comes a point at which the risk is no longer possible to acceptably manage someone needs to say “no, you can no longer do this as part of your paid employment” that’s not the same as telling him he can’t ride anymore, it’s just telling him he can’t do it for you anymore.

It’s why I can work unsupervised up a ladder on my roof in my own time but I sure as hell can’t do it on a building site.

It’s difficult because the nature of their employment in rampage and the like of go bigger go better go harder. Telling them they need to go shorter, slower and easier is tantamount to firing them. That being said we’re all quite accustomed to sports people retiring or being dropped from the top in their 30s in none gravity sports because they simply can’t keep up anymore, you don’t bounce anymore doesn’t seem that unreasonable a ground for making the same decision.

ossify

Bugger off!

Whoops!

Aha! Good camouflage with the similar accent 😉

w00dster

I love DH racing, and I get that there is danger involved in racing. But  there is a difference between DH and Rampage.

I completely understand why the riders choose to do Rampage. I played Rugby League until my 30’s. My body is pretty wrecked because of it. I knew the risks, my dad was also a rugby league player and knew exactly what was instore for my body as I aged. But I absolutely loved playing, training and the processes involved in the game. It’s not that I ever thought it won’t happen to me, it’s the fact that I absolutely loved it and accepted the consequences. (I have very little use of one of my arms due to a neck and shoulder injury, sleeping is very hard to come by due to lower back injuries….changing a tyre is a nightmare for me due to lack of grip strength – but I would never have changed any of it)

I am conflicted when I watch Rampage, mainly because I’m now a squeamish wheels on the ground 50 year old. The skill needed to do what they do is amazing, the almost rawness to it is great to watch. The riders are fully aware of the risks. They are clearly nervous/wary of the challenges. And they’re not doing it just for the cash. For me, this type of riding is pretty much the pinnacle of mtb’ing. And I’m a XC rider/racer. I do get it’s not for everyone, but even watching the ridgelines they do, it’s awesome to watch and their skill shines through. 

But equally, I hate to see Gee crashing like he did. I look at some of the drops/jumps and it does appear that there is absolutely zero margin of mistake and the failure can be life changing.

I don’t think it should change. I think people should be allowed to make their own mind up on what they want to do/risk. But as long as they’re not doing it just because of commercial or financial reasons. (I know there’s a conflict there as they need to do this for publicity/sponsorship reasons….aaagghh, proper conflicted!!)

masterdabber
    Free Member

Anyway….. any more news on how Gee is doing?

teenrat

No it’s not… that’s like telling Minaar he should retire as he’s too old..

<li style=”–tw-translate-x: 0; –tw-translate-y: 0; –tw-rotate: 0; –tw-skew-x: 0; –tw-skew-y: 0; –tw-scale-x: 1; –tw-scale-y: 1; –tw-scroll-snap-strictness: proximity; –tw-ring-offset-width: 0px; –tw-ring-offset-color: #fff; –tw-ring-offset-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-ring-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-shadow-colored: 0 0 #0000; line-height: 1.5rem; color: #ffffff; font-family: Roboto, ‘Helvetica Neue’, Arial, ‘Noto Sans’, sans-serif, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, ‘Segoe UI’, ‘Apple Color Emoji’, ‘Segoe UI Emoji’, ‘Segoe UI Symbol’, ‘Noto Color Emoji’; background-color: #444444;”>

It’s his choice, if he’s not hitting features as part of a RedBull event, he’ll be hitting it as part of Atherton Bikes, or Dyfi, or etc etc.

Minaar hasn’t suffered anything like Gee has.  Age, in relation to Gee, has to be considered against his past injuries.
    If Gee wants to throw himself off cliffs in his spare time, it’s his choice and not part of an official, invitation only event.
    The TT for example  – why couldn’t Ian Hutchinson compete this year. Because the rules dictate he couldn’t based on that fact he’d had a stroke, even though Ian himself felt fine to race. Those rules  are there to protect the athlete.

Is it the sensible decision to put Gee as first reserve after the reletively short time since his last catastrophic injuries?

reeksy

IIRC a few years ago I … erm I mean Greg… went down the Hardline track with Rob Warner. He refused to do the road gap. He has no need to, he’s still performing well.

Here you go. 2018

argee

There’s a lot of camaraderie at Rampage, and with it i’d say a bit of self policing, i.e. riders and support making sure nobody goes off and builds something unrideable, but yes, it is big and it is dangerous, Gee just looked like he got pushed out of shape by the wind, landed it, but couldn’t hold it and crashed, i’ve read about the vertebrae and skull fractures, but guessing that with the way he is, and the way he’s talking they may be more micro-fractures rather than extensive ones., but only guessing at this.

Having seen a couple of videos, it’ll be the wind that messes about with folk more than anything, that area looks like it has a lot of areas where the venturi effect will be quite harsh, especially if you’re in the air for a while, like those big gap jumps and drops!

chakaping
    Free Member

IIRC a few years ago I … erm I mean Greg… went down the Hardline track with Rob Warner. He refused to do the road gap.

I remember watching that at the time and being quite pleased that you, sorry I mean Greg, seems to have the same fear of heights as me.

😀

I don’t think Warner hit it either FWIW

nickc

In my view, Gee shouldn’t have been given a entry based on his age and injury history.

Uh huh, I can see that conversation going well;

“You can’t come to the desert and throw yourself of the cliffs as you’re too old and broken…Also, can we plaster our logo all over the welsh hillside next year at Hardline, the self titled “Hardest DH track in the world”?

Kramer
    Free Member

It’s MTBing, it’s dangerous…

It doesn’t have to be.

This is the attitude that many MTB coaches are trying to get past.

Kramer
    Free Member

Also, I’m not sure that most people who do these sorts of sports do understand and accept the risks, IME denial is far more commonplace.

stwhannah

Yeah, massive crash, a few broken bits, let’s get outside and meet the people 🤯

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CyT6ML2sq1k/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

B871550E-75BC-4B62-A7CB-AFCB72EDBFB3

Kramer
    Free Member

Yeah, massive crash, a few broken bits, let’s get outside and meet the people 🤯

This is normal. Entirely healthy behaviour.

LAT

i’m not going to tell him he should stop, though he’s storing issues up for later life. that said, i still take risks and scare myself a few time a week and never think about what would happen. that said, if i **** myself up i’d have a little chat with myself. but i’m married with a child. 2 possible reasons that i’m doing as well as i am.

anyway, this crossed my mind

Got to any DH race, any Enduro race, they all have broken bones each week… all have someone in the medical bay… It’s MTBing, it’s dangerous…

festivals are full of folk in the medical tent freaking out on drugs. now those kinds of drugs aren’t a big factor in my life, but i couldn’t help seeing a parallel between the 2 situations.

i have a friend who too his early-teen children to a festival and part of the outing was to visit the medical tent. if my son told me he wanted to get in to DH, showing him the “casualties” would not even enter my head (possibly because i’d be too excited).

reeksy

Big contrast with Tahnee Seagrave’s experience.

Worth reading her full post.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CyOC1njtZPo/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

sirromj

It doesn’t have to be.

Is there a safe way to send a 20 metre drop? LOL.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Good to see him up and about!

I guess the wearing the redull cap is his payment for the hospital fees

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Is there a safe way to send a 20 metre drop? LOL.

Is there a safer way than riding it when everyone else thinks the wind isn’t suitable?

You can’t make it safe, you can make it less dangerous.

fooman

Red Bull gives you wings is a metaphor not a guarantee.

Glad Gee is doing OK.

Sandwich

Yeah, massive crash, a few broken bits, let’s get outside and meet the people

TBF he has had a bit of a knock on the head, thinking may be a bit hazy for him currently!

intheborders
    Free Member

No way would I do anything the Rampage folk do, but I use to motorcycle commute the best part of 100 miles per day from the home counties into Central London & around the M25/M3/M4 – did it for nearly 2 decades.  Big bikes (900/1000/1050), all weathers and yes, often far in excess of the speed limit (60’s & 70’s).

I stopped not long before we moved up to Scotland and I’ve not ridden a motorcycle since, even though we’ve stunning empty roads – I just feel that I ‘survived’ and used all my lives up.

I’d suggest this was at least as risky as what the guys are doing, and the penalty of failure is as high, if not higher but it’s up to Gee (and the others) to make the same ‘call’.

Sometimes though they need a bit of ‘help’ – as Barry Sheene quipped after Mick Doohan said he wasn’t retiring from the back of an ambulance (after a very nasty crash & severe injuries), “better an ambulance than a hearse”…

nickc

This is normal. Entirely healthy behaviour.

For Gee, being amongst a group people of whom he both respects their opinion, and knows that they understand and support him, it may very well be. 

Nope. It’s a spectrum, some aspects of it carry more risk than others.

Don’t apply your own risk aversion to others and then draw judgements from it. If it’s not for you, cool.

chvck
    Free Member

Short interview with Gee where he explains why he does this, starting at 9:00 – https://www.pinkbike.com/news/behind-the-scenes-last-practice-sessions-at-red-bull-rampage-2023.html

fingerbike
    Free Member

Him being out says to me that we still don’t take head injury seriously enough in this sport. If he’s had a skull fracture, he shouldn’t be out, he should be resting.

chrismac

I presume he has passed concussion testing. If you bang your head hard enough to brake your skull inside the best helmet your sponsor makes you must have given your brain a bit of a wobble.

argee

Again, it’s down to the severity of the injuries, he’s looking like he’s in protective braces to protect against further damage rather than damage already sustained, so more likely microfractures rather than actual breaks.

It does seem a bit daft for him to be there at this time though, as the journey to the site doesn’t look pleasant and all he’ll do is aggravate the injured area, no qualms about him doing what he loves, but i doubt he’s following medical advice going on an off-road dune buggy style ride and being in a secluded area.

Kramer
    Free Member

@nickc

For Gee, being amongst a group people of whom he both respects their opinion, and knows that they understand and support him, it may very well be. 

Yeah, Groupthink never leads to bad outcomes does it?

nickc

They seem like level headed people 😉

Viewing 30 posts - 121 through 150 (of 150 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.