Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Garmin inreach/Spot tracker
  • kynasf
    Free Member

Does anyone use one of these? Been looking at them recently as I ride alone quite a lot and can’t get any mobile signal on my (relatively) local trails. If the problem with phone signal is down to tree coverage will it be the same issue with these? Cost seems high just for peace of mind if the worst does happen, but I have a few trips planned in more truly remote parts this year, so could live with it if it was genuinely reliable.

convert

Not made the leap myself yet but plan to. I say that every year though! Whilst costs are high at least there are now plans that can be paused for the months you won’t be using it now (thinking spot).

jimdubleyou

I have a spot, more for the wife than me when I’m in the middle of nowhere.

Usage costs each year are pretty high. Cancelled it this year at renewal time and got a pretty substantial discount (€70) so went with it again.

I’m on the edge of it being worth keeping it and just renting one when really needed – a balance of convenience and cost as usual…

sweaman2
    Free Member

I’ve used both. I had a spot for years but recently (in Canada) the subscription costs got high. Almost as high as subscribing to an inreach mini (once you’ve brought the device).

The spot is great as last resort or if you are doing very long trips. Things I didn’t like about the spot.

1) Limited options for messages.

2) No real confirmation message gone through.

3) No communication (nature of problem etc) in case of emergency.

The inreach mini solves all of those but you do need to remember to charge it.  Garmin also uses iridium network so more coverage than Globalstar.

Much like the above when I cancelled my spot they tried to keep me by cutting subscription costs a lot but I’d already brought the inreach…

tynemouthmatt
    Free Member

Have used InReach for remote work, the app makes using messaging quicker. Planning on getting a mini for riding solo (In Canada too).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Garmin inreach/Spot tracker’ is closed to new replies.