Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Garmin Edge 1000 is this the OS map for it?
  • wolfenstein
    Free Member

sorry guys I have to ask again about garmin navigator..I decided I will just go for the latest bling as it’s for my birthday anyway 🙂

I will have to lay it down in laymans term as I have no clue about this…

does this? linky

needs this? linky

so I can upload gpx files and I can go on my merry way

I am after something like this, like a whole package: linky

but cannot find the whole bundle for edge 1000 model

njee20
    Free Member

You don’t need a map at all to do routes, but obviously it helps. I have the OS maps (for £23), and don’t think they’re all that good frankly. I think OSM maps (which are free) are better – the resolution is far higher and they’re more accurate.

Russell96

Garmin now use the Openstreetmap mapping on the Garmin’s the 1000 comes pre-loaded with it, try it out and see if its OK for your use before you have to splurge out on extra maps.

Tips on navigation with .tcx or .gpx files here >>

Garmin Edge 1000

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Cheers guys for the replies, very helpful indeed. I am under the impression that the OSM map are the ones roadies use, may not be so (?)

sportsnapper
    Free Member

Used OSM maps off road in brecon last week with no trouble (though of course I had a proper map with me as well….)

njee20
    Free Member

Cheers guys for the replies, very helpful indeed. I am under the impression that the OSM map are the ones roadies use, may not be so (?)

They’re open source, so it depends what people have put on them. Round here (South East England) they’re very detailed indeed, better than OS because a number of the trails aren’t actual legal rights of way, they just exist. On an OS map you’re just riding across a blank space, whilst the OSMs show more.

They’re also far higher resolution, which on the 1000 makes a big difference. More accurate too – the OS maps are just a digital ‘scan’ of the paper maps, so you can often be riding 50ft off the side of a road. Plus they rotate as you do – with an OS map the labels are always orientated north up, so if you’re heading south all your labels are upside down, and will obscure roads and paths. With the OSM maps they move.

OSM > OS

IMO.

YMMV.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Edge 1000 is this the OS map for it?’ is closed to new replies.