• This topic has 9 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by aw.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Garmin battery and dat recovery
  • aw
    Free Member

I have a Garmin Edge 800 and was using it on a century attempt to navigate the sportive route.

what I did not realise is that this kills the battery and as we were only averaging around 15 mph it died at 77 miles in. We managed to navigate back to ‘Sandy Balls’ by iphone. I did record the last part by iphone app on strava and was happy to discover that the Garmin had the first 77 miles in it.

However when I got home that 77 miles did just not want to download!

still hurts i lost 77 miles because of Garmin battery failure last week…see the ride in history but it just will not download to Strava or Garmin connect. so frustrating!

anyone have any ideas how to get it out!

pdw
    Free Member

Unless you had the backlight on permanently, or it wasn’t fully charged, the battery really should have lasted.

You probably can recover the data. When you plug the Garmin into your computer, it should appear as an extra disk called “Garmin”. On that is a folder called “Activities”, and there should be a file in there corresponding to the date and time of your ride.

Take that file, and upload it to here: http://garmin.kiesewetter.nl/ and select “convert to _autofix.fit” file.

Or, you’ll probably find that you can upload it to Strava as is if you choose the “upload from file” option.

Junkyard
    Free Member

garmin should save the file before switching off as both my Garmins do that

jonba
    Free Member

They normally do not save auromatically on the 800. If it is in the history when you plug it into a computer it will be in Garmin-activites named as the date it was done. It will be a fit file but you can manually upliad to strava. If you are really bothered you can take the gpx files from strava for both parts and stitch together. Youd have to google that bit as i dont have the link. Simple process though.

leffeboy

as pdw says. Saves me some typing

muddy9mtb

what is the file size of the .fit file in activities? if it’s 0kb then it’s corrupt and probably won’t be recoverable unless someone knows better. if it is not then happy days and proceed as normal. it shouldn’t have ran out battery probably a typical garmin malfunction!!

zilog6128

As above, did you have backlight cranked up? I’ve done 8hrs with navigation before & had battery to spare!

kbomb
    Free Member

You might just have to click on the ride button, then save (instead of resume) and it’ll save the ride to file.

aw
    Free Member

I did have the back light cranked up…my bad!

I also left it on over the lunch stop which would not have helped either.

Thanks for the tips guys i will try them out

aw
    Free Member

It worked like a dream 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Garmin battery and dat recovery’ is closed to new replies.