Home Forums Bike Forum Garmin and Light Mount ~ Morsa or Something Else?

• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by jwh.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Garmin and Light Mount ~ Morsa or Something Else?
  • P20

I’d like to mount both my Garmin 1040 and my Exposure Strada on a single out front mount (drop bars). I like the neatness of setup. There was a Morsa modular mount in fresh goods a couple of years ago that looked great, though I don’t think I’ve seen the review from that. I know there’s the K-Edge at an eye watering price too or a cheaper Moon equivalent. Any thoughts/opinions?

https://road.cc/content/review/morsa-garmin-computer-universal-adapter-arm-kit-300919

IMG_3802

scotroutes

Exposure do a Strada mount that fits on the standard GoPro mount and there are any number of out front mounts with Garmin on top and GoPro on the bottom.

There’s also this one if your happy to remove the “cleat” from the Strada.

https://www.wiggle.com/p/exposure-light-mount-for-action-camera-brackets?gclsrc=aw.ds&utm_medium=base&utm_term=

IHN

It’s the kind of  thing that there’ll be tonnes of unbranded ones on eBay for about a tenner.

TiRed

Obvious point, but is the beam pattern meant to be upside down? I use a Joystick under a Garmin and have an original Strada Mk2 that I sometimes mount under the bars too. I’d go for the cleat removal, everyone is going GoPro now.

GoatKarma
    Free Member

I have the same setup (well, a 1030 plus Strada mk11) and when not using the 76 projects mount on my clip on bars, the below does me fine. No movement, solid as a rock, and relatively cheap!

Can take a photo if useful. The reason the prong adaptor is worthwhile over replacing the cleat is that it gives the light a bit more space to angle itself. The Strada is pretty bulky and you might have space issues connecting directly via cleat removal.

P20

I’ve ran the cheaper eBay ones when I had the joystik mounted under the garmin, the quality was hit and miss. The Garmin rattling in the mount wasn’t reassuring!
    I’d prefer to keep the cleat as I run it the Strada on other bikes occasionally and it makes life easier having already bought additional mounts.
    Exposure state that the Strada is designed to run either way up.
    Will have a look at that Prime set up

snownrock

I use the official Garmin extended out front mounts (the one designed to use the battery extender with) on all my bikes, the ones with the quarter turn flange underneath. Then with a flange mount-gopro adaptor from garmin I can use the exposure go pro mount clip of choice (either official or 3d printed from eBay). Each light is then just fixed to a Garmin flange mount so I can swap lights between bikes as required. I use a Strada/trace/boost/Sirius this way. It’s a bit more expensive but works a treat. The extended out front mounts can be about £20 on eBay and the flange mounts are about £10.

schmiken

I use the K Edge one (only 35mm clamp version available). Coupled with the GoPro prong adaptor it’s a rock solid and adjustable setup.

fatbikeandcoffee
    Free Member

If you already have a Garmin mount, as I did, you can pick up a go pro (or whatever mount of need you have, or adapter from go pro to whatever) on fleabay and I found I could fit it under my current mount with some longer countersunk threaded bolts and heh presto light mount and little cost.

Just in case that’s useful.

James

poah
    Free Member

Got one of these on the road bike

jwh
    Free Member

I’ve been using one of these : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001276032763.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.32.44411802dLQ1xM

Mounts to the stem bolts – but as its 2 parts the lower section can mount a full size exposure Maxx light.

Most mounts which can have a light below them have a weight limit.

TiRed

Like the Official USE mount which does not require cleat removal – had not seen that before; One reason I have not gone to Garmin Varia front (to add to back which is excellent) is that undoing the Go Pro mount is a pain compared with the Joystick and the cleat mounting. I swap the Joystick between all bikes rapidly and use K-Edge on all bikes, so the Garmin out front isn’t really an option either.

iwbmattkyt
    Free Member

As GoatKarma says, the Strada is a big boy (particularly the RS and SB). When using the direct GoPro cleat you need to watch out because you can’t angle it down sufficiently if you have the GoPro mounted anywhere near flat.

You need an extender at which point you may as well use this and then keep the quick release cleat on the Strada https://www.exposure-use.com/Brands/Exposure-Lights/Products/Bike/Brackets-and-Mounts/3-Prong-Action-Camera-mount-to-Exposure-Cleat-EXPQRARMACTION2

HTH

P20

I need two drop bar set ups and two mtb (garmin only). So I’ve backed myself both ways! Ordered the goatkarma’s set up with the prime mounts and a Morsa. Will report back when it all arrives.
    Found another pick of the Morsa with a six pack. I reckon you can alter the positioning of the individual mounts to meet my requirements

IMG_3805

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.