Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Garburn Pass
  • JohnClimber
    Free Member

When doing Garburn Pass, which is best way to ride it East to West or West to East?

And why?

Ta

ton

west to east.

nbt

COming out of kentmere, heading west, it's fairly rideable with the odd push, then an ace descent towards troutbeck. Heading East from troutbeck to kentmere, the climb is far more rideable and the descent is shorter but more fun, personally.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

nbt have you got your directions mixed up ? The descent to Troutbeck is going west

Just to be clear, the climb from Kentmere is nasty, with quite a few sections where you have to push, whereas the climb from Troutbeck is almost rideable even for me 🙂 And the downhill to Kentmere is well rocky and challenging (to me at least)

nbt

simon, yes, hence editing while you typed that 😳 🙂

haddock
    Free Member

mmm…. trout.

stevestunts
    Free Member

Troutbeck to Kentmere. I have vowed never to ride the opposite way again. Every time I do it, I hate it.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I have vowed never to ride the opposite way again

me too!

grumm
    Free Member

Both ways are fantastic imo. The descent into Troutbeck is longer and faster, less technical but still really rocky, especially if you fork right, then take the left bridleway down to the road rather than going down through the caravan park.

Do it both ways round in one ride and make your own mind up – it's a great loop imo.

The climb from kentmere is really not that bad, don't listen to the whiners! 😛

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

The climb from kentmere is really not that bad

no, it's worse 🙁

clareymorris

Clockwise 😀

2hottie
    Free Member

out of kentmere then down the other side, however went over walnar scar today!!! sweeeeeeeeeeeeet…..

clareymorris

The Kentmere climb is vile……….too loose to even enjoy walking up!

snowpaul
    Free Member

i suggest in my most humble of opinions that it should be west to east – very rideable up and a nice rocky descent. T'other way is an emotional push and i love climbing but it does give you a nice long descent albeit easier in some ways but very fun at speed – agree avoid limefitt and take longer Bw

either way do and out and back and see which way floats your boat..

its great

paul

fizzer
    Free Member

clockwise

haddock
    Free Member

Going up from Kentmere.

grumm
    Free Member

🙂

haddock
    Free Member

Excellent! 😀

crazy-legs

Troutbeck to Kentmere gives you a rideable climb (just!) and an ace, rocky technical descent. This is Good.

Kentmere to troutbeck gives you anasty horrible push/carry/ride followed by a fast but ultimately dull rocky descent. This is Bad.

yoshimi

West to East – why anyone would do it the other way I don't know

hora
    Free Member

Descend into Kentmere otherwise it feels like a push up then a descent down a farm track?!

grumm
    Free Member

then a descent down a farm track?!

You're obviously not going fast enough!

brownpants
    Free Member

Did it with John on Sunday and we went up from Kentmere( I always go the other way) . It was kind of rideable and I'm certainly no goat so seems they have made it 'easier' with stones as usual .
    Made a nice change

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Garburn Pass’ is closed to new replies.