• This topic has 19 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by ahsat.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Garage/house security
  • ahsat

We have moved from a semi rural location to a city for work. After getting two bikes stolen from our van within 4 days of being there, we are thinking we will need better security on any place we buy. How have you guys improved security for your bikes and outdoor gear in a garage?

Place we are currently looking at has an electric roller door at the front. Back isn’t in great shape and needs a new wall and access door. We are then thinking ground anchors and sold secure locks. Any other thoughts, which can also be lived with? How to secure the pedestrian door and what door to go for? And security for kayaks?

Cheers

weeksy

All my bikes have an Almax series IV 19mm chain and associated lock.

Whilst they won’t stop a pro theif, you’re going to have to work for mine !

dknwhy

There’s no fail safe answer. If someone wants your bikes and they have long enough, they will get them.
    The best I can suggest is to make life as difficult as possible and less attractive than an alternative steal.
    Big, heavy duty locks set in ground anchors or concrete. Multiple locks on doors (in all corners) and a secure roof. I saw a thread on here recently where they went through someone’s garage roof.
    I’m not convinced with electric garage doors. Have seen a couple forced where I live.
    Get good insurance…

Wally

Good insurance with practice that meets stipulations.
    Guide for buying house:
    1) Where will my bikes/Kayaks go?
    2) Where will I wash/service the above where it is warm and dry.
    3) Can I cycle to work?
    4) Can I fit a log burner?
    5) Are their trails nearby?
    6) Will Mrs Ahsat be happy, seeing me so happy.
    Good luck.

ahsat

Double post fail!

ahsat

Guide for buying house:
    1) Where will my bikes/Kayaks go?
    2) Where will I wash/service the above where it is warm and dry.
    3) Can I cycle to work?
    4) Can I fit a log burner?
    5) Are their trails nearby?
    6) Will Mrs Ahsat be happy, seeing me so happy.

1,2,3,5 all sorted 😀
    4 – unsure due to daft chimney reduction – tbc
    6 – in a stw twist, I am Mrs Ahsat! Mr Ahsat will be happy with all of the above and as long as I feel happy and safe. No doubt that the bikes getting stolen has rattled me a bit and am looking for ways to avoid (as best we can, know it’s not definative) something else happening.

Multiple locks on doors seems worth doing.

ahsat

Your right though Wally…there is more to life with a balance of compromises and insurance!

notsospeedydaz
    Free Member

I have a stand alone garage and no longer use the main door. The up and over door is is jammed shut and have fitted a security door in the rear opening into the garden.
    No one passing can see what’s in the garage due to access from inside the garden.
    Sacrifice bike, all the good stuff is locked and covered leaving the old hack bike unlocked in view

captmorgan
    Free Member

I’d add an alarm with a sounder inside the garage too, makes it more uncomfortable for them if they do get in.

mountainman

Plus is to use side door,not opening front door with all goodies on view,don’t forget to start strava or similar from different location/private .

Or store bikes inside house spare bedroom.

P20

Hi, Mr ahsat here.
    notsospeedydaz, what door did you fit? Rough idea of cost if you don’t mind. We will brick up the far end of the garage and need to install a security door

JohnnyPanic

Some good points up there.

I’d like to add…
    Baby monitor in garage, receiver in bedroom.

If your garage has a decent brick wall, consider mounting a rack around head height to store the bikes, then mount your ground anchor at the same height in the brick.

Considerably more difficult to crop a chain at head height than one on the ground where you can use leverage against the floor.

And of course, PIR sensor in the garage.

notsospeedydaz
    Free Member

I can’t remember what I paid for it but it’s a full steel security door with lots of locking points

ahsat

Thanks. We have had a quick Google and they aren’t silly money.

footflaps
    boriselbrus
    Free Member

Lock doors not bikes.

Theives will just cut through the frames and sell on the components which are a lot less traceable than a full bike. Once they are in, it’s bye bye bike whatever locks you have.

ahsat

Theives will just cut through the frames and sell on the components which are a lot less traceable than a full bike.

I know this is potentially true but makes me very sad! Fair though, so steel door and extra security on the roller door with keys locked in a safe seems a good start.

Thanks for the door advice.

deadkenny
    Free Member

mountainman – Member 
    don’t forget to start strava or similar from different location/private .

Use privacy zones on Strava and can start from home while keeping it private. Make the zone fairly big or add multiple zones around the house but not centred on it as it makes it more tricky to guess the centre of the zone. Especially if you do rides that are a loop going out one way and coming back another direction.

Don’t post pics of shiny new goods on social media or at least not standing outside your house.

Garage door will have to be serious stuff as most the standard ones can be bent open with enough force. Make it look ultra secure and it makes it attractive though. Determined enough, they’ll ram raid it. Then they’ll do it again once they think insurance will have paid out.

Check any flat roof on a garage as well if there is one. It’s been known for them to just cut a hole in the top and get access that way.

My approach is to not be obvious. Get bikes etc in and hidden quick and be cautious about who’s walking or driving past. Don’t use bike racks that advertise shiny bikes and can be followed home.

Also helps if the property has little facility for them to do their work in private. e.g. well overlooked (not so good for privacy though), busy road, lots of people about, no or difficult access to the rear.

Keeping in the house or a brick structure attached to the house at the rear would be the safest option though. You can make the garage ultra secure but it’s a prime target and they don’t have to get into the house first (which is a higher risk to them).

NZCol

Ours is on our police monitored house alarm, door sensors and PIR. Zones so armed most of the time, bikes locked to floor anchors. Beyond that they can have them.

ahsat

Thanks deadkenny for the list. We both have privacy zones set up round multiple houses and only have private accounts with followers we know and I dont allow flybys to be viewed.

Thanks for the thoughts re the garage. We also have the luxury that quite a bit of the time we can have a car parked outside it which will also help. Hoping that they couldn’t cut through a concert roof, but if they do…well what can we do! We will get it alarmed. Not sure I can quite live with them in the house – I am a woman after all 😆 😛

Agreed that not being obvious is an idea. I am toying with the idea of putting a fence up to prevent them getting round the back of the garage, but this will slightly ruin a lovely garden so its a tricky balance!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Garage/house security’ is closed to new replies.