Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Garage roof
  • noneoftheabove
    Free Member

We are finally renovating our garage to make it weatherproof again. I have a few quotes, with steel panels apparently cheaper than rubber coating over wooden board, despite it seeming like a longer-lasting option? Our preferred builder is happy to do either and doesn’t’ seem to have an opinion.

It is currently asbestos corrugated panels on prefab concrete panels. Has anyone experience of either roof materials or suggest pro/cons in terms of longevity, noise, insulation, etc? Thanks!

retrorick

I’d use corrugated sip panels if I had to do a garage roof.

yetidave
    Free Member

Just fitted corrugated metal panels with an anti condensation layer.  So far so good.  Fitted a corrugated bitumen roof to my summer house and glad i didnt use the same on the garage roof as it would have needed more work on the frame. Waiting on the disposal of the asbestos now.  Like the idea of SIP.

noneoftheabove
    Free Member

Thanks folks – I’m thinking the steel panels with antidrip coating is the way forward. Finally have a dry store and workshop!

As an aside, we would need to dispose of the asbestos ourselves. Any idea what plastic wrap to use for double-bagging before taking to the tip (apparently this is ok, if I call ahead)?

hopefiendboy

I’m in a simlar situation- however its part of a row of detached garages and the roofing panels all interlock sadly. So, I think the solution will be to mount a secondary roof over the asbestos panels as they are using a simple wood frame. Not ideal but at this stage i think it will be the best I can do due to the nature of the shared roof 🙁

timba
    Free Member

As an aside, we would need to dispose of the asbestos ourselves. Any idea what plastic wrap to use for double-bagging before taking to the tip (apparently this is ok, if I call ahead)?

Only certain tips in a county will take it, and some will limit the quantity and size of the sheet. I wrapped some in polythene DPM sheet from the builder’s merchant and duct taped it closed. Small bits are double-bagged

Your local county council will tell you their requirements. You need to ring ahead to make sure that they have space in the skip

ton

recently had my asbestos roof removed, and disposed of to a asbestos treatment place.  £450 for removal of a ivy covered asbestos roof. all paper work done official like. proof of removal has to go with house deeds.

new corrugated steel roof bought, yet to fit.  3 x 16 ft sheets @ £60 per sheet.

sandwicheater

We went from concrete/asbestos to the tin corrugated stuff. Did explore rubber. Tin was the cheaper option and it’s fine.

trail_rat
    Free Member

proof of removal has to go with house deeds.

Is that an English law thing ?

While it’s no doubt good practice. In reality who knows that asbestos is there ? Hell there are things in my last survey assumed asbestos that are plywood……

keefezza
    Free Member

Going to jump in with a request here.

My garage roof is corrugated steel (I think) and has stupid amounts of condensation. Any advice for this?

It’s a concrete sectional garage and isn’t entirely water tight, yet, but I want to put my drum kit in there to keep my little 205 company.

noneoftheabove
    Free Member

The steel panels we will likely install have a fibre (fleece?) backing to prevent condensation. No idea if something like that can be retrofitted.

trail_rat
    Free Member

You need to insulated the inside of the tin

I’ve got spray foam on mine in the sectional garage I use as a gym

spooky_b329

I had insulated sandwich panels installed.

Come in mega lengths so I think my garage was done in 3.5 long panels

Choice of external colour and finishing trims (went grey).

Bright white on the inside.  Compared to the old asbestos roof, it doesn’t feel like your head is being bbq’d whenever the sun is out!

Very happy I went with this option.  10 years later and I still haven’t painted the inside walls or tiled the floor though…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.