Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Garage doors: ‘OW MUCH??!?!?
  • ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

The Yorkshire Cry echoed round my house loud and clear yesterday when I looked into a replacement garage door.

Just a basic, single, steel, up-and-over thing. Cheapest supply-and-fit I could find was £1k.

Any cheaper options you can think of?

diz

Watching with interest as i also need one.

molgrips
    Free Member

When I needed a new one, a fitted cheapo was the same as an electric Hormann sectional door that I fitted myself. It wasn’t that hard to do.

That was a long time ago now mind.

prawny

£495 fitted from my local place in Cannock. Extra £100 if you’ve over 70 miles but closer than 105. Outside that you’re out of luck.

ernielynch

Any cheaper options you can think of?

Fit it yourself? Some up-and-over garage door systems are surprisingly easy to fit if you have the tools. For the more complicated ones you require patience as well as tools.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Wooden doors?

Jeld-wen pine doors with opaque glass windows cost me £250 a pair + a few evenings putting coats of paint on them in the conservatory (pre recent madness).

That was from doorsdirect2u.co.uk, the same doors seemed to vary from £250-£1000 depending on where you bought them from which is mad.

johndoh
    Free Member

Think yourself lucky – ours is a double electric and it has just spectacularly failed (TBF it is about 30 years old) and it’s £3k+ for a new one. Hopefully, the fantastic local electrical engineer who likes to furtle with such things will be able to repair it (again) – he’s got it limping at the moment and just waiting on news of a cost of a new motor assembly (if they are even available) to see if it will be economical to repair it again.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

For the more complicated ones you require patience as well as tools.

Afraid I have neither, these days 🙂

I wouldn’t normally bother replacing it, but a) it’s covered in dents from where a previous owner kept clumsily parking his van, and b) now I’ve painted it it looks ten-times worse 🙂

I think my garage is a non-standard size which doesn’t help the cost: the ‘hole’ is 218cm wide, x 203cm high.

bruneep

matter of interest how much were you expecting it to be?

Seems fair to me for 2 people? to drive to site remove old one fit new one dispose of old one and costs involved for the employees van tools disposal etc

the-muffin-man

Can you get anything under £1k nowadays!!?? 🙂

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

matter of interest how much were you expecting it to be?

Had 5 or 600quid in my head. Is that unreasonable?

fooman

Seems an OK price fitted, it cost me 5-600 to self fit a roller door. I changed our up and over to roller as 1. I’m tall and kept smashing my head on it 2. a roller needs less space to open so you can park closer.

sharkattack

They were all around 2k when I was looking a while ago for a lightly insulated, motorised sectional. Got it down to 1.7k for none motorised, but honestly, how could I live with that?

Mine has been bolted shut since we were burgled and the prices for a replacement have left me paralysed by indecision. Now I’m just used to not using it.

desperatebicycle

Is that electric? Fella who came to repair my manual up and over when the cable broke said he’d do and electric roller for £1300.

ernielynch

it’s covered in dents from where a previous owner kept clumsily parking his van

Van owners who park their vehicles so that the rear is butting against garage doors do so because their garages are full of tools and other expensive stuff. It’s not all down to clumsiness!

franksinatra

Do you plan to park a vehicle in there? If not, why bother with a garage door?

When we had building work done on the house, I took out the garage door and had the opening framed up and a set of standard double doors put in with same wood cladding as the side panels. It looks good, is far more secure (lots of locks and bolts), is warmer, I have more usable wall space and is much less faff than a garage door. Not sure if it was cheaper but certainly better value.

I could do this as I have driveway space for two cars, if this wasn’t the case planning might have insisted on me retaining a usable garage

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Van owners who park their vehicles so that the rear is butting against garage doors do so because their garages are full of tools and other expensive stuff. It’s not all down to clumsiness!

Hadn’t thought of that. But I do know the previous owner was a world-class pr1ck.

Do you plan to park a vehicle in there? If not, why bother with a garage door?

Crossed my mind. I have actually screwed it shut from the inside to help with security. Before, you could have opened it with a teaspoon.

dove1

Have you considered a roller shutter door? They take up less space and allow a taller opening. They also fit fully flush with no gaps so keep the garage warmer and drier.
    I had two fitted by Garolla for £1,800.

sharkattack

I might consider one of these since I never plan to park a car in there and don’t need any remote controlled nonsense…
    https://www.lathamssteeldoors.co.uk/security-garage-doors/side-hinged-garage-door/

Have you considered a roller shutter door? They take up less space and allow a taller opening. They also fit fully flush with no gaps so keep the garage warmer and drier.
    I had two fitted by Garolla for £1,800.

What does it look like on the inside? Because from the outside it looks exactly like mine which was lifted up by a couple of blokes as easily as if it was a curtain.

pocpoc
    Free Member

Assuming your Yorkshire cry came from within Yorkshire then I’d recommend these guys…
    Roll Right Ltd
    (probably also available outside of Yorkshire)
    We just had a single, insulated electric roller door fitted by them for £895. A family run business and manufactured in East Yorkshire. Fitted within 2 weeks of them coming round to measure up.

johndoh
    Free Member

^^^ Thanks for that, I’m in Yorkshire too and they look much better value than Garolla

desperatebicycle

don’t need any remote controlled nonsense…

Same here, my brother had one – took about 5 minutes to open! that would drive me nuts I’m in and out of the garage a lot! Obviously you can pay more and get a faster opening one, but yeah… pay more..! already damn pricy.

FuzzyWuzzy

My insulated Hormann one was £2k (fitted) at the start of the year (and I had to wait like 9 weeks for delivery/fitting, although might be better supply now). No regrets though, looks good and works well.

pocpoc
    Free Member

^^^ Thanks for that, I’m in Yorkshire too and they look much better value than Garolla

Just found the leaflet we had through the door – if you use the code pltdoordrop22 then you get a free colour upgrade

molgrips
    Free Member

My electric one is ok, takes about 10 seconds maybe. It slows down slightly if you do it more than about twice in quick succession.

johndoh
    Free Member

Just found the leaflet we had through the door – if you use the code pltdoordrop22 then you get a free colour upgrade

I looked online and they seem to get good reviews there too so it seems like they could be a good bet if mine has died. It still means our Christmas plan to see family in LA will have to be cancelled if I need one 🙁

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Hey JohnDoh

I had a new Hormann door 18months ago but keep the 30+ old year motor and also the central motor runner thing ?

But the motors arent “that” expensive.

Electric Mech

Oh and I’ve got a cheap blue tooth switch so I can open the door with my mobile.

Good Luck

stwhannah

I had basic side hinge ones fitted by these guys last year https://www.accessgaragedoorsystems.co.uk/?utm_source=GMB&utm_medium=organic

£880. Side hinge because it gave me most internal space. They’re hardly Fort Knox but I reckon you could add some extra ground bolts if you needed.

johndoh
    Free Member

@ro5ey – thanks for that but mine is different to that, it’s a compact one with the motor in the roller itself (ie, in the spindle of the roller)

A bit like this…

Just had a Google and they seem quite reasonably-priced actually. Fingers crossed one is available for my dino-door.

sanchez89

prawny
    £495 fitted from my local place in Cannock. Extra £100 if you’ve over 70 miles but closer than 105. Outside that you’re out of luck.

Posted 5 hours ago

Which place is this? Might be in the market for one in the not too distant

Sandwich

took about 5 minutes to open!

Some of us are of an age that we’d forget what we were going into the garage for in that time! 😀

prettygreenparrot

Avoid the big chains.

Look for a local installer.

our garage dates from the 80s I think. Not a standard height (short) and while ‘double’, not like today’s doubles. Height and construction type meant that rollers or sections were not possible ☹️

Chain said >£2,000 for a new up and over.

Local installer was about £1,000 and did a sweet job.

tomd
    Free Member

I did mine just pre covid with timber softwood doors. They were £250 unfinished, same thing is £450 now post covid and probably made from worse quality wood.

Needed to prime and paint them. Say £50 for primer and good quality paint.
    Need to reframe the door. Say £50 of timber (plus side is you can make them fit odd sizes easily)
    Hinges, locks, bolts, fixings etc not cheap £100

So I’d say at least £650 for basic timber doors, if you value your time as free. If you want no maintenance durable hardwood or accoya doors then god alone knows what that’d cost now.

They’re a ball ache to paint properly as you really need to do it before hanging them. Then a weekend of work to fit.

If I was doing it again I’d bite someones hand off to fit a roller door for £1000

LimboJimbo

I’ve just paid £1600 for a reinforced (Secure by Design) up and over with a new frame. The existing 30 year old one was cut with hand tools in order to steal all our bikes, so spending a bit more than the £900 quoted for the basic one seemed sensible. We went with the insurance supplier, as we were quoted locally over £2K!

When anyone say’s they’ve been quoted a figure for anything at the moment, the immediate response is “yeah, but when was that?” Inflation is just smashing, isn’t it?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Just had one of the compact roller slat things like that video. Insurance paid it but cut’n’paste from the invoice

71334 MP 55 Poly Thermaglide 2500×2134 1 £1915.00 40 VAT20 £1149.00
    Width Custom Size 2,270 Height Custom Size 2,000
    Panel Colour White RAL9016 Control Box Wired Left Hand Side
    IBH Single Installation Roller 1 £245.00 0 VAT20 £245.00
    Customer deposit 1 1394.00 0 VAT20 1394.00
    0.00 Total Excl. VAT 1454.00
    VAT
    Total Incl. VAT £1744.80
    Paid 1744.80

MarkyG82

I’m eyeing up my basic steel up and over to turn it into a pair of side hangers. Cut down the middle then swap ends so the square sides become the the bits that meet in the middle. Bit of reinforcement, insulation, inner skin and a frame. Probably not the cheapest solution but it’s one of a pair so I’d like it to look similar.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.