• This topic has 32 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by v7fmp.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Fun Enduro/Trail Bike Enduro type events
  • snotrag

Any reccomendations?

Background – had a miserable time at Ard Moors a few weeks back, I think it was psychological – I could ride it all but when racing, I was on edge the whole time. Arm pump as I was braking too much, tripoding way too much on the steep bits, just felt very amateur. The stages were amazing, but also reasonably long, lots of exposure/potential for a biggy in parts, and I dont think I actually enjoyed it that much! And why do something if your not having fun?

The first signs of getting older I guess…!

Flip to this weekend and absolutely loved it at Birsdall – it was relatively ‘easy’, but mega fun, low risk, rewarded being fit as well as being technically sklled. I didnt even mind the sprinting and climbing sections!

I’ve done Boltby Bash a few times too and that is also just brilliant – not too OTT in difficulty, just really good fun, challenging but enjoyable for a regular MTB rider on a regular mid travel trail bike.

What other events should I be looking to book in for Winter/2022? North of England of further afield if its worth it!

StuF

I really enjoyed the sport category at ardRock, but the first 3 stages were a bit above my comfort zone (glad to make it to the bottom without breaking me or the bike) – If I go next again I’d be tempted with the sprint / short event as that was stages 4-7 and I think a degree easier (well I stayed rubber side down on those ones)

franksinatra

Watching with interest. I would love to ride an enduro but I’m no downhiller. Very much in the red grade category of trail riding with tentative dabbles on black

richmtb

Might be a bit out of the way but the Glentress Enjoyro sounds like exactly what you are looking for. Was on a few weeks ago, so one to look at for 2022.

I think it was psychological – I could ride it all but when racing, I was on edge the whole time.

I know exactly what you mean. For most of us the level of trail you can race on is a good bit easier than the level of trail you can mince down on a ride with a couple of mates.

chakaping
    Free Member

You might like the PMBA races at Gisburn and Kirroughtree.

tomhoward

Tongduro sounds like it would be up your street.

stcolin
    Free Member

Yea a couple of the PMBA rounds would be handy enough and easy going. Kirroughtree had a few spicy bits in it the last time I raced there.

Always heard the Boltby Bash was good fun and not too difficult as you’ve mentioned. Although it always depends who you talk too.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Fair City Enduro (Perth) is great fun, fancy dress encouraged as 30th October. Its now an EWS qualifier but there is such a mixed field still and its very welcoming imho.

jamesmio
    Free Member

Tweedlove Enjoyro is the answer.

Ideal mix of tricky-enough trails, superb atmosphere and just enough to keep you on your toes to make it all interesting and thoroughly enjoyable.

matt_outandabout

Fair City Enduro (Perth) is great fun, fancy dress encouraged as 30th October. Its now an EWS qualifier but there is such a mixed field still and its very welcoming imho.

johnjn2000

If you can be arsed to travel quite a long way you have the Southern Enduro series. This is set up to fill the gap between national event level and entry level and does it very well. I appreciate the distance is an issue so maybe if you drop Scott at Southern Enduro an email he might be able to guide you towards equivalent level events oop North, he is a decent chap I am sure he wouldn’t mind.

Northwind

Muckmedden events usually cater to this really well. Tweedlove’s enjoyro looked good and I think they’re hoping to add more events like that

I always think that I was really lucky, I started racing enduro pretty much right as it took off in the UK and then I was carried along with the difficulty hikes. But if I were the same rider I was then, I’d find it much harder to get into racing like I did then.

Gunz
    Free Member

Marking and watching with interest, very much interested in some sort of ‘Minceduro’ event.

scottfitz
    Free Member

johnjn2000
    If you can be arsed to travel quite a long way you have the Southern Enduro series. This is set up to fill the gap between national event level and entry level and does it very well. I appreciate the distance is an issue so maybe if you drop Scott at Southern Enduro an email he might be able to guide you towards equivalent level events oop North, he is a decent chap I am sure he wouldn’t mind.

I’m Scott 😉 I would say the one day PMBA races are a great place to start in the North west of England.

Anyone in Southern England then one day Southern enduro races are a good place to start 😉

woody2000

Definitely give some of the PMBA events a whirl, they are great.  Gisburn worth a try for sure, assuming they can actually go ahead next year! 🙁

scottfitz
    Free Member

Definitely give some of the PMBA events a whirl, they are great. Gisburn worth a try for sure, assuming they can actually go ahead next year! 🙁

I’m almost certain all the FC venues will be back for 2022.

woody2000

Fingers crossed Scott 🙂

johnjn2000

I’m Scott 😉

Are you though, are you really?

scottfitz
    Free Member

Are you though, are you really?

Well I’m a Scott.

snotrag

Brill, thanks all. Some good suggestions and I’ve added myself to email lists/subbed to some websites and facebook pages etc. The NDH TT events and some of the previous events at Gisburn, Kirroughtree and Glentress look idea.

I also perversely fancy the idea of the Hammers8 event in November which is not an Enduro but more flogging yourself silly in the likely shite weather from dawn till dusk…But I know the route and its ace!

pothead
    Free Member

If Ardrock wasn’t much fun forget about the Naughty Northumbrian

jaylittle
    Free Member

The full enduro is too much for me at Ard Moors so I do the sprint.
    I also usually do Boltby Bash and Ard Rock Intro. Did Tongduro this year and was pleasantly surprised. Will be aiming for the same events in 2022.

snotrag

It was Ard Moors I struggled with – found it harder than Ard Rock!

Tomahawk
    Free Member

Great thread mate. I’m hoping the Hammers8 is round Hamsterley?

Tomahawk
    Free Member

Are there any events happening in the next few weeks?

fooman

Hammers8 is Nov, uses best parts of black and K-line. Might enter as a pair with mrsfoo. K-line TT also a good event in April I think

Mugboo

Kirroughtree had two choices when we rode it in 2019. You could choose to avoid the last stage, and just do the Lite version. Stage 5 was a bigger ask and way more dicey in places than anything at Ard Moors this year (think about that first greasy chute on Stage 1 but way steeper and longer!)

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Hammers8 is Nov, uses best parts of black and K-line. Might enter as a pair

8 hours round Hamsterley in November doesn’t sound that enticing – i did see the event and would probably have signed on if it were a summer thing – but doing it as a pair sounds like hell, not the time of year for standing around a field waiting for someone to finish their lap.

In terms of similar events GT 7 is a good crack though

fatbikedog
    Free Member

How about this then. Channel Events run three waymarked cross country challenge events. No competition but time are published. 3 areas of the south west, Mendips, Exmoor and Quantocks. Very well run and lovely people as well. Entries for 2022 are open.

bigfoot
    Free Member

Are there any events happening in the next few weeks?

this one at kielder

https://descendantenduro.com

not done it before but a couple of mates are and i’m thinking about it

rstephenson
    Free Member

Not enduro, but an event in the north happening this weekend!
    https://the24th.org.uk/cmbm/
    I’m doing it as it’s on my doorstep. Would like to try my first enduro type race next year so am also following with interest..

bikesandboots

I think it was psychological – I could ride it all but when racing, I was on edge the whole time.

Something about that ticking clock, even if you’re not the competitive sort and don’t have anyone you care about beating/impressing.

I also perversely fancy the idea of the Hammers8 event in November which is not an Enduro but more flogging yourself silly in the likely shite weather from dawn till dusk…But I know the route and its ace!

I’m not up for any trail centre race (or a bridleways race), but interesting routes and locations are good, especially ones not normally accessible to the public.

v7fmp

I used to struggle with the pressure of ‘racing’. Would love the practice, then fall to pieces once we were ‘racing’. Trying too hard, going too fast, braking too much. So i didnt do any for ages.

Now i am back doing the odd event and i really enjoy them, as i worry less about the actual timed stages. I am only ever mid-pack anyway, so its not like i am looking to win.

The unseen pressure can creep up and ruin an event i have found.

Is this something you are finding? Practice is well within your skill set, then the race goes to pot? Or is it the actual nature of the trails you find daunting or outside of the comfort zone?

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Fun Enduro/Trail Bike Enduro type events’ is closed to new replies.