Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Full face helmet
  • ed-
    Free Member

I’m fairly new to mtbing I’ve got a fairly new full suspension bike.
    I’m enjoying the more exciting trails and jumps rather than cross country.
    I’ve started to go fairly regularly to a small bike park (The Bull Track) and I’m hitting their smaller jumps but I’m progressing ok. I also ride Surrey hills. I’m riding with my snowboard/Bike helmet. It’s time for a new one.

I’m thinking about getting a breathable full face MTB helmet. Something I’d ride with 90% of the time.

There’s a few different options. Obviously the best helmet is what fits your head.
    But I’m looking at.
    ixs trigger ff
    kali invader 2.0 (most breathable, not the best looking)
    fox proframe

Any thoughts on riding a full face, most of the time?
    I run quite hot so not sure how I’d feel riding one of these most of the time.
    But as I’m getting older and I’ve already had my share of injuries and fancy a bit more protection especially as I’m trying to progress.

Any thoughts?

dave_robinson1
    Free Member

I have a half shell for XC/trail and a full DH certified full face for big uplift days, but like you I wanted something light but with a bit more protection for faster/jump trail type stuff.

I went with a Fox Proframe which I find works well! Well ventilated and nice and light. The only slight complaint I would have is at first the MIPS liner was super squeaky, it did settle down after it bedded in (plus a little bit of silicone spray helped).

ayjaydoubleyou

I’ll happily wear my enduro-style light weight full face (Endura MT500 now, previously Proframe) all day when riding (not pushing) up at the likes of BPW and Aston Hill. Never felt the desire to take it off.

I’m a “hot” person too, wearing a nice lightweight jersey helps a ton for heat management, much larger surface area to dissipate heat, Sounthern Enduro champs this year I stupidly went out in a raincoat and the above mentioned full face helmet. I was a sweaty dehydrated mess.

ed-
    Free Member

@dave_robinson1

Yes exactly what I’m looking for. Does it feel ok riding all day with it?
    I guess for mellower days a half shell is in order but most of my riding isn’t very mellow and I’m progressing (I’m still newbie) I’m not hitting anything big but definitely would appreciate a bit more safety. But wanna buy something that I can live with.

ed-
    Free Member

@ayjaydoubleyou

How does the Endura MT500 compare to the proframe? Why the change?

teenrat

ive got one of these

https://www.stifmtb.com/collections/full-face-helmets/products/sweet-protection-arbitrator-helmet-firewall-goggle-combo

quality convertible helmet that is alot sturdier than the light weight enduro style full faces.

nickc

It is, of course, entirely down to personal choice, but I don’t think I’d be content to ride in a full face all the time. Regardless of how well vented they are, they’re still much more heat-retentive than a traditional open faced MTB helmet.

I get that while you’re progressing you may feel the need for some extra protection, but most long term mountain bikers have learned most of what they know without even the availability of lightweight full face helmets, and outside of high speed DH uplift days, I don’t think I’d feel the need for one on every ride.

For general mucking about they’re much more comfortable, easier, and (mostly) cheaper, Unless you’re really pushing the gnarr-envelope, I’d even recommend a open face when learning jumps and drops and what-not.

ayjaydoubleyou

How does the Endura MT500 compare to the proframe? Why the change?

I broke the proframe. Be aware that all these lightweight full faces (and regular open face trail helmets) are pretty much one bif impact and bin.

Covid shortages meant I switched brands, but I do prefer the MT500 in both fit (specific to my headshape, the fox was too round I think) and it has a trail helmet style ratchet strap at the rear to tighten/loosen, rather than just relying on the padding to keep it in place. To me this is more comfortable.

ed-
    Free Member

@nickc

I totally get what you are saying. And you have a point.

But 60% of my riding at the moment is in the bike park. I might not be going massive but still, getting bigger.
    The rest of my riding I’m looking for the fun stuff.

As I said 90% of my riding.

But you definitely have a point. But I’m 42 and got enough metal in me. (At least for the moment)

ayjaydoubleyou

Another plus of the MT500, you can wear goggles on the back of your head, with the strap over the forehead. Never quite figured out how to do this on the proframe.

Northwind

I have a Troy Lee Stage #enduro full face now, which is light and very well vented. (eh, there’s basically 2 different sorts of venting that matter for a full face, the back/side vents for getting heat out of your head, and the front vents for getting air to your face, the Stage has decent head vents but fantastic face vents. Light, too.

I still wouldn’t wear it for XC riding- no matter what, more coverage = more heat. But it’s the best fullface I’ve had for longer/sweatier rides for sure.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

agree with @nickC comments, getting some coaching sessions, learn to jump and ride well, rather than picking up bad habits, while heavily protected.

i rarely wear my fullface as it tempts me to take risks. hence i’ll only wear at proper bike parks.

that said the bell super convertible are good. removable chinguard.

razorrazoo

Couple of my mates use Bell Super DH which has a removable chin bar and is DH certified, they ride pretty much similar to you and if using one helmet it seems a good compromise.  Bell helmets are great quality.

Personally I’ve ended up with 3 mtb helmets; open face for most riding, lightweight FF (Troy Lee Stage) for bike parks and a proper FF for alpine holidays (I did use this whenever I wanted to use a FF, but bought the Stage as I just found it too hot for non-uplifted riding).

nickc

and got enough metal in me.

Fair play…might be worth having a look at some of the lids with removable chin-bars  as well. The 100% Trajecta is supposed to be easy to live with and reasonably vented as well I think

ed-
    Free Member

@whatyadoinsucka

Yes obviously.
    I agree.

But at bike parks most people are wearing full face helmet for a reason

steamtb

I bought a Proframe for places like Revs and Dyffi and used to wear an open face for most other stuff, but gradually started wearing it more. Then I got a TLD Stage and because it’s so comfortable, it’s now the only thing I wear, including on all day rides, doesn’t feel too hot from my perspective. I do have a slightly odd shaped head and always struggled to get an open face to fit well and be comfortable. It’s also saved my face a lot, it works brilliantly to deflect small branches on all the really overgrown trails. 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Full face helmet’ is closed to new replies.