Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Fuel Bills – Can WE Do Anything to Help?
  • johnjn2000

Can I start by asking that we have at least one page of conversation before the flaming and blaming starts just so I can figure out if there is any legs to my idea.

Mrs JN2000 announced to me yesterday that we have had a reduction of £60 on our energy bill. This started off a long conversation around why it wasn’t means tested, why we deserved £60 when that would be much more beneficial to people really struggling, which we are lucky enough not to be right now (can change in a flash I am aware)

We are offsetting our increased energy bills, like others, by reducing outgoings in other areas such as frivolous bike bling purchases etc. but others who were just surviving don’t have that luxury and could really have done with the £60 we were given.

To the question. I am going to give my £60 in one way or another to someone who needs it, don’t need a medal, just feel it’s the right thing to do. This got me to thinking there might (possibly a big might) be others who would want to do the same. What do you think about a GoFundMe type campaign to gather a few of these £60’s and redistribute to those who really need the help? I know the admin will be a bit complicated to ensure it goes to the right places but I am starting with a local group called Act of Kindness who have some experience of this.

Thoughts from the STW hive mind? A goer? A pointless exercise based on the scale of the problem? Anyone else doing this?

ads678

I can’t help* unfortunately, but it’s a great thing to do if you can get it sorted. Good on you.

* Fortunately don’t need help either though.

matt_outandabout

I think you may be better making a donation to a local charity – we’ve foodbanks and some that support most vulnerable, and mrs_oab and I discussed making 4x£60 donations to them.

martinhutch
    stumpyjon

Slight clarification, you’ve had a reduction in your next instalment, not a reduction in your bill which will probably be heading upwards today. The government wants you to believe they’ve cut your bill when in reality they just slowed the upwards trend with the discount and revised cap. We’ve had a similar cut to our DD payment which I will be reversing today to try and keep some semblance of credit on my account prior to winter usage kicking in and taking me deeply into debit country.

johnjn2000

@stumpyjon, yes, don’t worry, I am in no doubt that it is all smoke and mirrors but it doesn’t change the fact that it effects some a lot more than others.

scotroutes

I’ll be “redistributing” funds to my daughter. She will really struggle over the Winter with these increases and no prospect of her income ever matching them.

jimmy748

Donate it here https://www.depher.com/

ABOUT DEPHER
    Disability and Elderly Plumbing and Heating Emergency Repair (Depher) provides vulnerable people with access affordable and vital emergency works. It relies on public donations to cover all labour and materials, provides free services during winter months and discounted during summer.

johnjn2000

Thanks @jimmy748 that looks perfect

Dickyboy

Great intentions OP. I haven’t enquired as to my sons mortgage situation yet but he bought first house with his wife 3yrs ago & are expecting their first child in March & are on all electric heating so I think I know where my extra cash is going to go unfortunately.

johnjn2000

Looks like DEPHER in the link above pretty much covers what I was thinking about but in a much more helpful way than just cash. Have used my first £60 for 3 items on the Amazon wish list and the next will go to the local charity Acts of Kindness.

Some good people doing good things out there if you know where to look.

fatoldgit

Local food banks are always open to cash donations as well as food parcels.
    I will be upping my tinned contributions ( if I can once bills arrive )

CountZero

I’ll be happily accepting any help put my way, because while I’m not badly off by comparison to some, I live alone and have nobody to help share any of the bills.

wheelsonfire1

@johnjn2000 I did try to start a thread (two actually) on here some months ago to try and help a member who was struggling, it was anonymous but then another member used the name and it got taken down. It came back but by then the lovely people who had offered money had lost their impetuous. I gave to the person directly. I’m pretty sure there are some people on here who could do with some help, I’m on a Fire Service pension and my wife on a teacher’s so not flush but able to cut back on some stuff, no flashy bikes, no passport for ten years so able to exist. No heating on yet except logs though! It would be nice to help people on here, direct message me if you need any ideas!

wheelsonfire1

Bumpity bump for when you all get to work in the morning! Put the STW minds to work?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.