Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • FS & Travel amounts
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

Looking at one side of things the apparent ‘ideal UK trail bike’ is a 140mm full bouncer then looking at others – specifically the latest issue of ST mag and WMB bike tests for the last eon 120mm at each end appears to be where it’s at.

My current FS has 89-130 at the back – although it resides at 116mm the vast majority of the time and will take (and has) a 130mm fork. I’ve never really felt under-biked since I bought the frame off a mate and built it up.

I fancy a new bike as the current one is a good few years old and the geo is a bit steep – and I like shiny things 😀

I’m wondering if a 140mm bike is a bit too much and I’d be best with a 120mm all rounder.

I’m no hucker or lightening quick descender, but I do like giving it as much as I can on the downs with the odd little jump & drop here and there.

Event wise the CRC Marathons and the likes of the Whinlatter enduro appeal way more than the like of the more gravity styled events.

I’d also contemplate getting ride of my Cove Handjob and having the magic ‘one bike does all’

Riding wise I do the usual trail centers, Welsh natural stuff, and local woodsy type riding, so 120mm may be where it’s at.

So any recommendations, upto £2.5k all in either a build it myself or an OTP offering

chakaping
    Free Member

Bearing in mind the sort of riding you’ve said you’re into, I’d recommend trying to get a go on a Zesty.

It’s 140mm travel but rides like less, it’s superbly balanced, and slack enough at the front to be quite confidence inspiring on the descents.

Think the new 514 is £2.8k, but I bet dealers will be keen to shift bikes in Jan.

I know people tend to recommend their own bikes, but it does fit your brief v well IMO.

steve_b77
    Free Member

The thing with this years Zestys, they’re not as good value as they were last year and £2.8k (give or take negotiations) for a bike with SLX bits is pushing it a bit IMHO.

Also not overly keen on the Gold highlights 😯 and the 314 doesn’t have a bolt thru fork, or even a shock with ProPedal, it does look a zillion times better though.

I must admit I have test ridden a 514 in ’10 guise and thought it was a cracking bike

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah, SLX shifters are good but I’d want XT too really. A good shop would sort that out within the price though I reckon. Worth a bit of a hit on components for the quality and attention to detail on the frame though I think (514 has carbon back end).

Lots of other good bikes about though I’m sure. Stumpy looks interesting again I think.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Stumpy does indeed look good, and there are excellent deals to be had right now – just not in a couple of months 🙁 But again a strange component mixture, SLX shifters, XTR rear mech and SRAM front – surly a whole XT set would be better instead of headline grabbing with a XTR rear

I’m also liking the Ghost Lektor, Cube Stereo & Sting and the Trek EX8 if it came in a decent colour. Also the Cannondale RZ120 is also an option as is the RZ140 from last year if there’s any left

spock
    Free Member

120mm at the back and 140mm up front is where its at 😉

If i was after a bike i reckon i’d go for a Gary Fisher Roscoe, Good suspension design and ABP so no brake jack. Fox Drcv shock is also excellent. Gets very good reviews

http://www.coventrycyclecentre.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b10s1p1139&rs=gb
    Thats a good deal i reckon

Rorschach
    Free Member

I know where there’s a 19″ rosoe2 for £2300 instead of £2800…demo’d one down snowdon ranger 😀
    Could haggle an ex9 down to £2.5K I suspect.New whyte e120-carbon bum and killer money at £2k.Trance X 2 @ £2.4k errrrr …others.
    (See I don’t hold grudges against gear pedants 😉 )

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It’s all just numbers. Ride various FS bikes of different styles within your budget and buy the one you most like the feel of.

steveh

Specialized Stumpjumper fsr comp carbon looks like a cracking deal, components not super bling but full carbon frame and only 2300 at evans before haggling. A friend has one and says its great.

sherry
    Free Member

I went for an 160mm FS do it all bike and an 140mm HT for everything I will be over biked for on the FS. I tend to use the HT more often though, but I can take both bikes on rd trips with no more I wish I had my other bike scenario. Works well for me.

Frankers
    Free Member

If i could only have 1 bike for this country it would be a 120mm forked FS

steve_b77
    Free Member

Just had another thought, the Specialized Camber looks quite nice.

carlphillips
    Free Member

camber would be where i would spend my money if i had any!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘FS & Travel amounts’ is closed to new replies.