Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Frozen Freehub. So which is best for SS?
  • bonzodog
    Free Member

I used to use an SS hub with a WI freewheel on my old bike and never had any freezing issues, but today my regular geared hub with spacers and cog froze up.

Are some hubs more prone to freezing up than others or was I just unlucky today?

gravelrash

My Chris King hub was missing a few beats today, freewheeling both directgions. had to lag on it to warm it back up, it was very very cold in the Peak today though on the hill tops.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

if it a hope (or similar) then stripping the grease out and replacing it with oil works quite well, just dont overdoo it and remember to top it up every month or so.

bonzodog
    Free Member

Kings do it too eh? They dont come much more bling than that.

Cheers Spoon. I might give that a go. Its a Planet X hub BTW.

stoney
    Free Member

My King ss hub was doing it, now sorted with a little mobil 1 synthetic engine oil.

paule
    Free Member

Best thing to put in it is a mixture of oil and grease. If you combine them thoroughly (plenty of stirring) then you end up with a custardy type consistency.

Learnt this after having to pee on an old mavic crossland hub several times on a very cold ride…

bonzodog
    Free Member

You live & learn.

I dont think I couldve peed on it today, even if I had me tweezers with me.

Thanks folks.

freeform5spot
    Free Member

I had to p**s on my King hub to warm it up enough to get it to engage!

was at the top of Win Hill in a blizzard / v. strong wind and had a problem with my aim!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Frozen Freehub. So which is best for SS?’ is closed to new replies.