Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Front mech compatability help
  • bumbly1
    Free Member

If my font mech is aligned parallel to the chain it will not change to the small ring but it will if the trailing edge of the guide is “towed” in but only just and not every time. The cable is correctly adjusted.It has been like this since the bike was built a year ago but I am now keen to sort it properly!

The lower stop on the mech is fully out suggesting that the mech has not enough travel. The chainset is my faithfull Shimano XT 752 Hollotech 1, the mech is XTR 960. The Shimano leaflet shows Hollotech 2 which perhaps a tad wider. Is there a known compatability issue? My Hollotech 1 crankset has been excellent and I hear tales of Hollotech 2 woes but maybe the time has come to change? I would be grateful either for a fix suggestion or recommendations for a replacement crankset 😥

Tom

PS The frame is a 2006/7 Santa Cruz Superlight

marvintheandroid
    Free Member

Have you got the cable routed correctly through the cable clamp ? Not sure about XTR’s but many Shimano’s don’t work properly if you don’t get this right to the letter. Check the instructions then double check.

Marv

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

chainline is narrower on square taper/octalink cranksets, so it will work but its a fiddle to get it into the inner ring. The easiest way i have found is to run the front mech at a slight angle.
    Or you could always fit a HTII chainset ya luddite 😀

bumbly1
    Free Member

Steve, LOL, guilty as charged 😉 I have managed but I think it is as you say. When this BB packs up I guess I’ll have to bite the bullet.

Tom

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Front mech compatability help’ is closed to new replies.