Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Friday afternoon. Recommend me a brandNewSecondhand bike
  • TheBrick
    Free Member

Been thinking of getting a new_to_me bike for for sometime now but need to start looking and need to know what to search for.

Current bike to replace 10+ yo Giant Reign. Somewhat modernised with short stem, wide bar, 1×9. More because this is how I have always ridden it.

Mainly to be ridden at bike parks and hand dug trails in south and SW England, South Wales, a trip to scotland once year but probably bike park / hand dug trails rather than long natural ride. I like a bit of jumping, bit of mucking around, bit rattling down hill.

I am so out of touch but thinking 150 -160mm travel, wheel size don’t care. Aluminium because I don’t like how hard it is to recycle carbon. Budget £1500-£1700 tops.

Give me some search terms.

rjmccann101

How about an Airdrop Edit?  The current model is the V4 so there are 2nd hand V2\3 around.  There’s an Airdrop owners Facebook group where people advertise ones for sale sometimes.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Nice. Shows how uninterested in the tech I am I have never ever heard of airdrop! Def looks like a possible idea

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Bird Aeris 145/LT/160 (linkage-dependent).

riklegge

There’s a couple of Bird Aeris on eBay for about £1300 which look like bargains to me. I should point out they aren’t mine.

tall_martin

I had a 2005 giant reign for 10 years. Great, but heavy.

I bought an orange segment, rode it  for a year and couldn’t get the shock tuned to my satisfaction.

I bought a second hand Geometron/ Nikolai G13 and it’s been great for 4 years.

There is this in xl in the classifieds that you might haggle your way to.

Latest Classified Ads

Latest Classified Ads

I’ve no connections, it just looks awesome!

TheBrick
    Free Member

Bird Aeris 145/LT/160 (linkage-dependent

Do you mean the travel is changed by a linkage swap?

TheBrick
    Free Member

I think I will have to try the classified in the morning on a laptop , works horribly from a phone.

Bird Aeris sound like another one to looks for thanks

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Yup, the Aeris 145 was originally 145mm travel, then Bird released the LT linkage which upped the travel to 160mm whilst also altering the leverage curve to make it a bit poppier (for lack of a better word!). They then released the AM160 which was essentially a slightly updated version of the 145LT. All versions rated to use 170mm forks as well, I believe.

That’s all 650b wheels – if you want 29er, have a look for the 150mm travel AM9 (which also has the RRR linkage available, which changes the leverage curve but doesn’t alter the travel IIRC).

TheBrick
    Free Member

Thanks for the information. I have worked in engineering and technology all my life but for some reason just don’t follow bike tech (maybe self wallet preservation) so all this simple information is good!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.