Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • French Alps, late April/early May – too snowy to ride?
  • TN
    Free Member

Hi,

Me and Julian are trying to work out where to go on holiday at the end of April or beginning of May.
    We were thinking of heading to the French Alps – either Gap/Ecrins area or further north, around Samoëns/Cluses.
    We were wanting to mainly get some XC riding in and some decent walks (but J was also hoping to see some impressive waterfalls. When we went in September all the snow had gone and the waterfalls were a bit sparse, so I guess they'll be most impressive as the thaw gets underway.)

I am just a bit concerned that, that early in the year, it's still going to be pretty snowy to a fairly low level. (which is great if that's what you're after but not for us this time)
    Can anyone tell me whether we are likely to be able to get much done or would we be better waiting until a bit later?

And if early May is out, can anyone offer any recommendations for good times to go when crampons/skis aren't going to be order of the day.

Thanks,

T

TN
    Free Member

Hmmm, just found an 'events calendar' for Les 2 Alpes and they've got night skiing trips planned right up to the last weekend in April. I think that might've answered my question.
    🙁

stevomcd
    Free Member

TN, I run holidays in Sainte Foy, Tarentaise Valley (Les Arcs, Tignes, etc.). In late April/early May there will be pretty limited mountain biking available. The best time to come for the type of experience you're looking for is in mid-late June, even early July. There will still be snow on the very highest trails, the waterfalls will be spectacular and the alpine flowers will be in full bloom for the walking.

I'm fully-qualified as both a mountain bike guide and a walking guide in the French Alps, give me a shout if you need more info (web address in profile).

nasher
    Free Member

try here 😀

TN
    Free Member

Thanks stevomcd and nasher.
    I think we're probably going to go to Font in May for some bouldering and cycling and head further south later in the year. It is a long way to drive to not be able to ride as much as we'd like.
    (Steve, we might get in touch when we come up with a plan for summer hols…)

Gilles

yes, too early to go biking over there due to snow. Always get caught each time I go the see my relatives over there.

devs
    Free Member

I go for the last week of skiing in Apr/May in Val d'Isere. There's always still heaps of snow. Samoens is lower but I know that Flaine is reknowned for late season skiing so I would imagine that even that low down you would be quite limited.

TN
    Free Member

Thanks folks. I think it's going to be wiser to wait a couple of months and then go.
    And it means I get a trip to Font this year, so that's nice. 🙂

RHSno2
    Free Member

Don't listen to them. Its fine. Yeah you can't hit the peaks but normally you will be able to ride upto around 1800m (at least). Depends on the snow year (which is average but cold meaning the snow build up has been good).

Would advise to go to Gap/Ecrins way. Or a bit more south and head into the O6 Alpes Maritimes.

I will start riding around mid march (Valais) I reckon and normally in the lower alpine valleys its roasting by May.

nasher
    Free Member

Don't listen to them. Its fine Would advise to go to Gap/Ecrins way. Or a bit more south and head into the O6 Alpes Maritimes.

Ermm We are in the Alpes Maritimes and the med.. 😀

nasher
    Free Member

TN

If you like climbing/bouldering there is some excelelnt stuff in fianle ligure and above Nice, especailly vie ferrata

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘French Alps, late April/early May – too snowy to ride?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM