Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Free Advertising? advice.
  • Blower
    Free Member

Im self emplyed builder,struggling at the moment.
    ive never advertised before,all word of mouth,but times are hard so im wanting to advertise on the web,wondering about a webpage maybe.

Anyone with any knowledge of websites worth advertising on (yorkshire) or even making my own website?

cheers.

saxabar
    Free Member

I’m sure others will add, but Google is the best start. Have a look at Google Sites so you can detail the type of work you do and how people can find you. Make sure there are no typos and the copy is well written. From my point-of-view as a punter, I’m looking for reliability, trustworthiness and evidence you can do a good job. While price is always an issue, I’m happy to pay for a proper job. Testimonials always go down well so if you can get a few quotes from past customers along with pics that will be useful. Also have a look at Google Places and consider setting up a Twitter account so people can find you that way.

geoffj

If I was looking for a builder I would use Yell.com
    I may scan a web page linked from yell.com, but I wouldn’t google builders in a specific area. I may be a bit old fashioned like that though.

Have you considered:
    1. Calling past customers to ask if they are considering / interested in you doing more work at a bit of a discount?
    2. Calling past customers to ask if they know of anyone looking for work to be done?
    3. Left cards in local shops, B&Q, Wickes etc?
    4. Got a sign written van with clear contact details?
    5. Contacted all the larger building companies in the area asking if they are looking for sub contractors?

If you’ve got a rolling programme doing all of the above, and got an ad in Yellow pages, I’d then think about setting up a web page. Just be aware that a shonky web page done on the cheap can put more folk off than it attracts.

Good luck.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Don’t type it in Yorkshire speak or people like my mum won’t know what you’re saying.

There’s this sort of thing too with lists of jobs you can offer yourself up for.

http://www.mybuilder.com/job/list/

Blower
    Free Member

some good advice there cheers.some ive done there geoffj some i have’nt,at the moment im watching my money,so my van wont get signwritten yet.Yell do charge if you want to be top of the list with people searching,so money and issue in that are for now,but will do it in the future.

aye luke you have a point,as i do type like i speak alot 🙂

waynekerr
    Free Member

Website was the best thing I ever did.
    I’ve mailed you more details

leffeboy

If you are going to do a website then it is worth putting some suggested prices up for typical sorts of jobs so we get an idea. I know that I am often put off calling about smaller jobs simply because I have no idea what I am likely to be getting in to. Often the price is completely sensible and it is understood that it is just an indication rather than a fixed price. It’s like looking at the site for a bike shop, younger more likely to visit those that have some prices up.

In the end though I would be most likely to use something like the yellow pages and would almost always go for the slightly larger ads rather than the single line listings unless I know the person advertising. You may end up having to pay. I can say that we are paying for online advertising over Christmas and it makes a big difference over ‘organic’ visits.

waynekerr
    Free Member

Whilst I have been mailing Blower there have been some replies & I disagree with Yell, I have advertised with them for a few years & thing have changed from years gone by, I stopped yellow pages a couple of years back as no-one look at a directory anymore & I am stopping yell.com when my current year is up as it is not worth the cost( I have an ad with a weblink) if you get google sussed

Saxabar has hit the nail on the head
    I always ask new customers how they found me & 99% say Google.

I don’t call past customers, if they want me they will call me.

I don’t have sings on my van as I don’t like to advertise it is full of tools.

I don’t do cards in stores etc.

Find a builder type sites are a joke.

I just have a website & it works wonders, but as geoffj says, not one of the shoddy ones.

Directing traffic to your site is the key though.

Hope you find my email helpful Blower.

fubar
    Free Member

I check Yell or Thomson Local (the book!) when looking for trades…you don’t have to come top of the results (I look through all the results and one of the most important factors is somebody who is local)

leffeboy

I would agree with Wayne except for the yellow pages stuff. I often look at yellow pages now as I don’t always find google reliable for local stuff. But, as I said, if all there is is a name and phone number I rarely use it as it gives me no clues as to what the company does.

Getting yourself found in google is worth it but it can take a good few months to get up the rankings and isn’t just fit and forget. You often have to keep working on your site to keep it high up. Something like ad words can be a quick way of getting on the first page untilmyour site gets there naturally. I think there are even some free offers around to give it a shot

Blower
    Free Member

Some great advice so far cheers.

my mate had just made a webapge on webs,a free one,but im not sure it will be good,

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

This is a very simple page we recently did as a favour for a friend of a friend (not normally our bag)

But it does what it says on the tin
    http://www.harrogatewindowrepairs.co.uk/

(He is VERY lucky that his URL is the number one search term so it is number one, page one just days after being submitted to Google.

But I would suggest you get your web page submitted to all free directories and even consider the Yell web page offer (something like £100 for the page + £20 a month ongoing). A bit of a scam, but at least you will have the benefit of THEIR Google search ranking.

http://www.yell.com/b/Small+Business+Web+Design-Internet+Web+Design+and+Development-900852281/index.html

leffeboy

Blower – the window repairs site that m_f put up is really a rather good example and wouldn’t be a bad model. It’s got:
    * a list of all the sorts of small jobs that you might want so they will get picked up by search
    * It says Harrogate at least 5 times which will help search engines locate you for local search. My guess is that having a fixed line with a local area code helps here as well rather than a mobile number
    * It also contains other local area names but without listing too many
    * It says ‘windows’ in different ways e.g. glass/glazing/windows/glazier
    * It all fits on one page so you don’t need to scroll down

and it isn’t over stuffed with irrelevant keywords.

Beware of some free web hosting as some people use it for hosting nastier stuff and you may get penalised although you aren’t meant to be. You could do worse that just set up something using Google Sites which is also free, easy to use and then you could link in your email to the same domain name which always looks a bit better.

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

how much would be charged for that very basic website for the glazing?

I learnt how to make sites but due to a career change never pursued it. But i am currently making a few but struggle to give estimates due to not knowing the going rate.

I can sort something out for you if you would like to have a look at a draft, just email some details and i can get cracking.

Nick

woody2000

Nack all for a single static page like that. I’d be suprised if it took Mike much more than an hour for that, so what’s an hour of your time worth? Obviously there’s the domain registration and all that too, but still, not long.

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

yes, i can imagine it took an hour but would someone have to pay a skilled rate or just what you think your time is worth like you said.

30 quid type thing plus the domain registration…

anyone got any good domain sites? with good quality and price

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Nack all for a single static page like that. I’d be suprised if it took Mike much more than an hour for that, so what’s an hour of your time worth? Obviously there’s the domain registration and all that too, but still, not long.

Yeah – took me about 30 minutes to design, find an image, type in the copy, format, layout etc and the build took about an hour or so.

As I said earlier, it isn’t the sort of thing we normally do as we charge too much for small businesses (we would have billed £150). But we did it as a favour and the guy returned it by fixing a leaking window at our house.

atlaz
    Free Member

If I were you I’d use a site building package from any of the big hosting companies just so you have your own domain for email and a basic one-page website with details of your services etc. Its not hard and as long as you’ve got SOMETHING decent around it’s better than most.

It’s important that you keep the site up to date. My cousin (also a builder) had his brother (a web designer) design a really nice website that he never maintains so it’s pointless.

Finally, get on check-a-trade, I’m REALLY hesitant about using people at home who aren’t on it.

redthunder
    Free Member

+1 Google site.

I just did one for the South Glos MTB Club Take minutes, drawing our logo took the longest.

https://sites.google.com/site/sgmtbonline

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

No idea how Google sites rank on, ahem, Google but they do fall down by not having their own URL surely (unless Google have got around this).

The one I did above was on to a winner purely because the URL is the most commonly searched term so it was almost guaranteed to rank well (and it immediately proved as such).

So, to the OP I would suggest trying to get a SIMPLE and EASY TO SPELL URL that describes his location and services (for example http://www.harrogatebuilder.co.uk).

McHamish
    Free Member

I can help build you a website for a small fee, let me know if you’re interested.

leffeboy

You can use your own urls with google sites. Just sign up for the free Google Apps instead and sites is part of it. You could even just sign up with google sites to try it out and if it seems ok then go the full google apps route. It’s not as scary as it seems and you can always holler on here for help. I seem to remember that speednames are ok for domain name registration. It isn’t free but neither is it expensive, just pick a name that is memorable if possible so that if people use you they will remember it and pass it on eg. Blowerthebuilder, that sort of thing.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Free Advertising? advice.’ is closed to new replies.