Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Frame – Is it buggered?
  • Frodo

Lots of creaking on alloy frame. Definitely not bottom bracket or hubs.

If so Alloy or steel replacement?

Cheers, Rich

willej

Could be a lot of other things; pedals, pedals/cranks, cranks/BB, headset, seatpost/frame, seatpost/saddle. I'd suggest you try stripping areas such as these down, one at a time, cleaning, inspecting, re-greasing, re-fitting and going for a test ride?
    Or are you just looking for an excuse to get a new frame? ;o)

Frodo

bit of both :o)

Although pretty sure it is the frame as everything else has prestty much been checked out.

rich-6
    Free Member

Have you got a Ti Saddle? Had the same on my commuter, banging my head on the wall thinking the frame had acrack in it, Wrapped a bit of tape on the rails and its now quiet as a mouse

sobriety
    Free Member

At risk of being a cheeky bu66er, what size is it and where are you? Friend of mine wants back in to riding after years off but is skint 😉 I have forks/brakes/part worn drivetrain and am looking for cheapo/free stuff to finish a build for him…

jedi

chainring bolts checked?

Frodo

17" Marin Palisades Trail.
    New Mills, Derbyshire

Will have to check out the seatpost angle first though ….altyhough I'm getting quite keen on this.

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/mountain-bike-frames/merlin-and-rock-lobster-frames/rock-lobster-853.html

Frodo

NO creak when I don't peddle so defo nothing wronf with the drivetrain.

grumm
    Free Member

NO creak when I don't peddle so defo nothing wronf with the drivetrain.

Not sure of your logic there. Surely if it creaks only when pedaling then it is likely to be something wrong with the drivetrain? 😕

Frodo

Sorry wrong way around. Still creaks whether I peddle or not!

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

First had what sounds like the same problem a few years back, and it was a Marin. Turned out to be the rear skewer moving in the dropouts. Just take the back wheel off and stick a bit of grease in and either side of the dropout. Bingo. You'll need to redo it every month or so depending on how often you ride

Edit – just saw you post that it happens whether you pedal or not. In that case, this will probably not work as it was a drive creak issue

sobriety
    Free Member

Hmm…That's the right size, I'm in nottingham and he's in derby. I'll have a chat with him this evening and see what he says.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

If so Alloy or steel replacement?

Sorry to be pedantic but as an engineer i must point out that steel is an alloy. 😆

sobriety
    Free Member

Had a chat with my mate on Saturday and now finally recovered from the hangover enough to face a computer, which is fortunate as i'm at work! If you can't find a crack and decide to replace it anyways, I'll have it…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Frame – Is it buggered?’ is closed to new replies.