Home Forums Bike Forum Fragile thin plastic MIPS helmet cradles?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Fragile thin plastic MIPS helmet cradles?
  • bikesandboots

I have a MET helmet and the liner has cracked in 3 places near the mounting points after not much general use for XC/gravel riding. It’s the yellow plastic cradle, the rivets have just torn themselves out of the liner. I’m very careful with my gear and typically just don’t break stuff.

Anyone else had similar issues with fragile liners, MET or otherwise?

The cradle in my Bell helmet is way more robust, 4-5mm thick, it moves but isn’t itself flexible.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I have an intense dislike of mips cradles as they break way too easily IMHO. I’ve busted one catching a branch on an otherwise perfect less than a full ride old smith helmet. Creaked like mad after than and hadn’t even scratched the lid.

Never again for mtb

bikesandboots

I wouldn’t be put off MIPS entirely. They’re not all alike – if you’d like MIPS without the fragility get a Bell Super Air.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I went for leatt to replace them – the squidgy bits feel like they’ve much more longevity to me.

I’ve a couple of mips road helmets but there’re a similar flimsy liner (a ff too to be honest, though it won’t be replaced with a mips one when the time comes) I like the idea but the implementation seems lacking to me 🤷🏻‍♀️

I tried a bell thing with mips spherical and it was awful, the outer shell visibly moved just wobbling my head on the shop. On the trail I think I’d have taken it off and thrown it down the hill in about two minutes.

bobbyspangles
    Free Member

had a similar quality issue with a troy lee. wouldn’t bother with mips now, ill just try to land ona my face when i crash, probabaly slide better that way

didnthurt

I’ve had MIPS on a POC and numerous Giro helmets with no issues. 

I’d contact the manufacturer. 

joebristol

My Giro chronicle has mips- never had a problem with it. Must be 5-6 years old and it’s now just used for night rides with a light on top. Caught a number of branches without damaging the mips cradle. Maybe some are more solid than others?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.