Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Fox Transfer ‘sticky’?
  • chestrockwell

Hi all. Had my Transfer for a while and it’s always been lovely and smooth. I was out riding yesterday and towards the end of the route I noticed it was struggling to go up or down. I had a play when we finished at it feels like it has no lubrication or that the seals have worn so the action is rough and feels dry if that makes sense?

So the question is do I have to send it away for a service or is it something I can sort myself? I tried loosening the seat clamp and that helped but the issue is still clearly there.

pampmyride
    Free Member

Same issue with mine. I thought it was sticky old cable – poorly routed. But I can see wear at the seal when post fully extended. Highly cheesed off that a premium priced part has failed in 3 years…. Short term solution is lots of silicon lube & accuation to free it up. Mike is just about useable, but knackered long term.

joebristol

Not sure how the transfer works, but I had this with my Oneup V2 dropper a few weeks ago at Cwmcarn. I’m a little disappointed as it’s not hugely old and my brand x one that is a few years older just keeps going with no maintenance required at all.

I pushed the post down when I got back, unscrewed the top cap and then actuated the post so it pulled the top plastic bush out of the lower tube. Was muckier than it should be so I cleaned it up plus the area it locates into and greased it with slick honey. Wiped the seal off on the top cap and put some grease on the underside of that too. Screwed it back together and pushed it up and down a few times and now it’s back to full speed (tbh it could launch your nuts into outer space 🚀 now).

singlespeedstu

Not sure how the transfer works,

There is no top cap to unscrew on a transfer.
    You have to diss assemble the whole post to get to the top seal.

joebristol

Ouch, that’s annoying then!

If my Oneup wasn’t still relatively new I’d have done the full rebuild process but I thought I’d try the top bit and it’s done the job.

chestrockwell

Thanks all. How difficult is it to strip down a Transfer?

teethgrinder

It looks like a right PITA.  Mine is 25 months old now and slow to return.  Full service will be +£100, although it really only needs the nitrogen topping up probably.

I’m going to get a One Up 180mm instead and punt the Transfer on.

RickDraper
    Free Member

Highly cheesed off that a premium priced part has failed in 3 years….

How many times was it serviced in those 3 years?

chestrockwell

Mine isn’t slow to return but there’s loads of stiction. Reckon the seals need changing so it looks like a trip to the service centre.

Just found the receipt and it’s nearly 3 years old so not bad going I guess?

pampmyride
    Free Member

Not services as no leaks & working fine until recently.

reluctantjumper

I’ve got a Transfer and there’s nothing you can do to it bar a full strip down. Mines been serviced twice now by Mojo/Silverfish, the first time Mojo replaced the air shaft under warranty as it had scoring on it despite it hardly being used. The second time I was charged for a new air shaft for the exact same thing and after less use! I’m just letting it die now as the Brand X ones on my other bikes are just as good and cost the same to buy with a warranty as a service on the Transfer. Both services were done due to it getting slow and sticky like you say yours is.

chestrockwell

Cheers reluctant. Bums.

RickDraper
    Free Member

Not services as no leaks & working fine until recently.

So no services in 3 years and now you are disappointed it is beyond repair? The standard service interval is ever 125 hours or 1 year.

The issue Fox have with the transfer is it is almost to reliable and therefore it becomes a consumable item with a high price tag.

mudeverywhere
    Free Member

I sort of found this out. For me the post was over 3 years in and still working reliably long after the seals were toast, a bushing was worn out and internals were getting scored from muck and no lube. Needs servicing more often. Fortunately Silverfish managed to bring it back to life. Service is a bit pricey which probably puts people off but the extra parts they replaced weren’t too expensive.

TheGhost
    Free Member

The Transfer is the AK47 of droppers.

mmannerr

Transfer on my bike was getting sticky but I found out that barrel adjuster on the lever had bent to J-shape. Managed to straighten that and now it works fine again.

Mine is bought on July 2017, it is getting first service when it doesn’t work anymore.

pampmyride
    Free Member

Big issue with this dropper in the seal is buried in a groove, so you can’t lift it to clean up grit. The gold finish is just not up to the job & needs some protection. You wouldn’t expect your forks to be toast over a similar period & they move thousands of times. Many rides I do the post never moves! overpriced & made of cheese! Glad it was a prize so I never paid for it.

RickDraper
    Free Member

Big issue with this dropper in the seal is buried in a groove, so you can’t lift it to clean up grit. The gold finish is just not up to the job & needs some protection. You wouldn’t expect your forks to be toast over a similar period & they move thousands of times. Many rides I do the post never moves! overpriced & made of cheese! Glad it was a prize so I never paid for it.

If I didn’t service a fork for 3 years I would expect it to be scrap when it came to be serviced.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Fox Transfer ‘sticky’?’ is closed to new replies.