Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Fox Proframe vs Met Parachute
  • zezaskar
    Free Member

Hi all,

Will buy a new helmet tomorrow.

Owned a DH helmet for a while, but end up not using it much as it’s very claustrophobic even for short climbs.

I fancy the Fox Proframe a lot, but the Met Parachute is available for about 60% of the price of the Fox.

Anyone has experiences with both? The Met seems to look a bit weird.

If it wasn’t for the price I’d get the Fox

zezaskar
    Free Member

Also, throw the Bell Super DH into the mix.

Can get it a little cheaper than the Fox. How is it climbing with the chin bar on?

dazzzzbo
    Free Member

Hi mate.

I haven’t tried the fox but own a parachute and a switchblade.

I could wear the parachute all day even when it’s warm and will probs be wearing it all the time on my MTB in future following an accident with half shell on.

I find climbing with it no bother.  I did ardmoors and the only time I took it off was when pushing/carrying bike from end of section 5.

I have only used the switchblade once and it felt pretty well vented as well but it was pretty cool outside .

I was in the same quandary but the fox was too much money for me but glad I got the Met.

I have a 58cm head and the medium just fits so if your head is any bigger I would opt for a large.

oldtalent
    Free Member

The met never fitted me well and felt like an open helmet with a chinpiece, lacking in padding. The profram is on another level and when I split it I got another, no hesitation.

stmachreth
    Free Member

Only have experience with the Proframe but it’s great, light and airy without feeling like you’re skimping on protection

dazzzzbo
    Free Member

Hi oldtalent you must have had the mk1 parachute did you ?  My 2018 one has plenty padding on chinguard and is dh certified not that I would wear it for full on dh as I’m too scared to do it 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Tried the MET it didn’t fit my head (XL), other mates have them and get on fine, nicely vented lid.

Got the Switchblade, fits well, bit tight to get on and off with the chin bar on for me and the chin bar is an art to fit – great lid ridden in some warm days in Oz and US

Fox – tried on only as it was out after I got the switchblade, felt really good, on the list for next lid

So basically try both on and maybe the switchblade too and see what fits

zezaskar
    Free Member

Ended up ordering a Fox Proframe.

I’m sure the Met is nice but the Fox was the reason I started considering a new helmet in the first place.

Hope I got the size right!

dazzzzbo
    Free Member

Nice one I’m sure it will be mint and if it was cheaper I’d have had one.

The only thing I believe with the proframe is I don’t think it has a ratchet dial to adjust for size I thing you have to just put bigger pads in , I may be wrong though ???

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Proframe is for very wide, round heads. Think brachycephalic Russians round. I have one, it also lacks padding on the head and the mips liner digs into your forehead (maybe they have updated this, because I don’t feel that it is well padded).

I’m going to swap to something else, probably another bell as it has too much unused space at the sides of my head – and ends up making me look bobble headed. I’d borderline fit a medium in another helmet, not this – it would be too short front to rear.

Also, the only pads that are adjustable to make up for there being no dial – are the cheekpieces. Of which there are two sizes, that aren’t very tight in the first place and use overly soft foam.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Proframe is for very wide, round heads. Think brachycephalic Russians round

Cheeky bastard, I have a proframe that fits my head very nicely with none of the problems you list. Just goes to show the importance of trying helmets on before buying, some just don’t feel comfortable however much I want them to fit.  One comment I would make, all this style of helmets feel like cycle helmets with chins to me, none of the cosseting feel I get from a motorcycle helmet. A compromise needed to get the ventilation unfortunately

raybanwomble
    Free Member

A D3 gives you a more cosseted feel, I don’t think the endure helmets are a replacement for a proper DH lid really. They are very useful secondary full face helmets.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I don’t think the endure helmets are a replacement for a proper DH lid really. They are very useful secondary full face helmets.

Probably true, but the number of people doing Full DH week in week out are quite low, Though given those that are getting DH certification the new ones are a new breed of do most things lids, way more versatile and mine is certainly used way more than a DH FF

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Probably true, but the number of people doing Full DH week in week out are quite low, Though given those that are getting DH certification the new ones are a new breed of do most things lids, way more versatile and mine is certainly used way more than a DH FF

They pass impact testing – there aren’t any standards that cover fit across a wide range of head shapes though. That is important so that the helmet doesn’t rotate too much or get ripped off in a crash.

Simply, properly padded full faces and MX helmets conform better to a wider range of head shapes and create a snugger fit because of the amount of padding.

I don’t really see the point in my proframe, I’d rather have the new DH rated Bell Super – and use that as my half lid and trail full face – and a proper DH lid for hanging around Wharncliffe and uplift days. The Proframe is easily breathable enough to ride in all day, it’s just then you need to buy three lids.

vincienup
    Free Member

As above really, you’re going to need to see if you have a Fox or Met shaped head. Reading between the lines here it seems unlikely both will fit well.  I gather Bell have changed their standard head fit though and from the Super on will tend to fit people who could also wear Giro (didn’t use to be the case).

I’ve had a couple of Parachutes and wrote my first off after a year of heavy use.  If anything the helmet is too well ventilated in winter so may need a buff underneath but is perfectly wearable for hot all day riding.  Best i can say is that I bought another…

kimbers

I had a parachute

Now got a proframe.

Fox is as well vented but feels way more solid, it also fits my much head better.

Tried a bell super 2r but really uncomfortable on my head.

Im possibly a brachycephalic russian

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Fox Proframe vs Met Parachute’ is closed to new replies.