Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Fox forks diy service…again sorry
  • twang
    Free Member

After reading recent discussions on fox stantion wear etc, I’m now completely paranoid about the state of my seals and am going to attempt a quick service. Done it on my tora’s without any problems; removed lowers, cleaned wipers and spongy thingy’s, is it same process for fox? What weight oil and how much do you put in lowers? Do you lube up spongy thingy’s with the same oil. Your advice please and thankyou.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Look at the fox site. It has videos and everything!

twang
    Free Member

Tried the prising the seals up with a screwdriver method as fox suggest…rubbish idea! Rather remove the lowers completely but not too sure of a few things. Any first hand advice and things i should be aware of would be helpful cheers.

Jonno

Saved this to my favourites after the thread the other day.

http://www.mojo.co.uk/media%20pix/ForkFlyerWeb.pdf

twang
    Free Member

Yep, thats the kiddie, thanks alot Jonno.

matt_outandabout
    MikeWW
    Free Member

twang
    I just followed those instructions and very straight forward-just be carefully when you pull the foam ring out so you don’t damage it
    I bought fork oil and float fluid from mojo
    Only thing I wasn’t sure about was how much oil to top up

squeekybrakes
    Free Member

Did mine for the forst time a few weeks back. Very simple and easy of you follow these service instructions. http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/Content/Service/Forks/FLOAT/FLOAT_RL.htm
    I think the oil quantities are listed on the fox service manual.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If you want to try to get better longevity from them – assuming they are the model with only a couple of teaspoonfuls of oil in one side it is perfectly possible to put a lot more oil in so that the bush this side gets splash lubricated properly. As one side is empty bar a spring it causes no issues ( or didn’t with my set that I put an extra 100ml in – you can now see that the bush and seal on the side that wears is lubricated

enfht
    Free Member

The thing I cant understand, if you’re meant to add 5ml of suspension fluid to each leg (32 vans) every 15 hours of use, won’t it either drip back out during each service, or eventually fill up too much? If it “evaporates” in 15 hours then most people’s forks would be running bone dry which can’t be the case either. 😐

enfht
    Free Member

And yes I know oil doesnt evaporate but you know what I mean..

richc
    Free Member

I think they rely on them wearing out/breaking before that happens 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

the seals in foxes are not full hydraulic seals – oil leaks past them all the time – they are merely dust seals / wipers

twang
    Free Member

TJ- Do you not add a small amount of oil to both legs? Surely both have wipers and foam rings that need lubrication?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

twang – the vanillas I stripped are supposed to have 130 ml (iirc) in the damping side but only 30 ml in the non damped side – this is why one side always wears out first ( unless you store it upside down so oil gets to the foam ring)

so you only need to increase the oil level in the side with very little oil

This is a TJ bodge tho – so make your own mind up

twang
    Free Member

Aah, so the 130mm goes in the lowers. I assumed because it is such a large amount, that was to change the damper oil. Mine are floats bye the way, seems to be same principal though??

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Fox forks diy service…again sorry’ is closed to new replies.