Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Fox Factory vs Performance
  • ratherbeintobago

What’s the difference apart from lack of Kashima, and being old, fat, slow and under-skilled will I notice the difference?

sri16v
    Free Member

If you are referring to factory vs performance elite, the only difference is as you said the kashima coating.

I have the 36 performance elite and the setup manual is the same for the factory and the performance elite.

Also have a pair of 34 performance elites, although not sure if they do a factory 34?

tomhoward

Performance, or performance elite?

Performance elite is the same as factory, just without kashima.

Performance is the grip damper, rather than grip 2 (on the 36) or fit4 (on the 32 and 34) factory & PE.

not sure if they do a factory 34?

They do. As well as a lighter, 120mm stepcast version, like the 32.

Rythmn is the OEM spec.

Will you notice? Definitely not if you don’t try them both.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ratherbeintobago

As per the other thread I’m contemplating an SC34. Think the only options are Factory or Performance non-elite.

tomhoward

I thought the step cast was factory only tbh

ratherbeintobago

27.5 is; 29 comes as Performance too.

scruff
    Free Member

Performance is the grip damper, rather than grip 2 (on the 36) or fit4 (on the 32 and 34) factory & PE.

I have PE Fit4 36s, OEM though.

tomhoward

I have PE Fit4 36s, OEM though

How old? Grip 2 came out last summer iirc, there was some overlap too.

scruff
    Free Member

2018s but bought new 2019

BearBack
    Free Member

I’ll have 2020 36 fit4’s on my next bike. 2019 36 Fit4 on my current
    Almost any combination is available to brands. e/g Scott used to have a Performance level fork on some builds that had a Fit4 damper – before grip.

Both factory and Perf Elite 36’s can have Fit4 of Grip2 and these are the only aftermarket products from Fox that carry a retail SKU afaik.
    Performance and Rhythm are OE only. So if you’re buying these they’re grey market
    (or as an anomaly – the e-bike 36’s are available as Factory Grip2 or Performance with the Grip(1) damper.

Grip2 is the money damper now. Grip2 doesn’t work with remote systems though so I’ll be sticking with Fit4 on my trail bikes.

As far as kashima vs no kashima, you’ll not notice.

rone

Kashima barely wears.

The black coating definitely wears quicker.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

@rone  negative ghost rider

rone

??

Shred
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at this for the 34SC 29er. I do wonder about the factory grip damper if you can’t control the compression damping for the open mode, so either end up with brake dive, or over dampened depending on your weight and riding style.

This was for a Blur TR, which comes with the Factory 110 with remote, so no option to set it between the open and platform mode like on the non-remote option.

longmover
    Free Member

The factory comes in orange, surely that just makes it better!

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

On the 36’s
    Performance = lower end internals
    Pre-Elite = top end internals
    Factory = Kashmina coating

IF you listen to Doddy, and thats a BIG IF…
    The Kashmina will sustain its performance level at a higher level, longer than the non-kash, but just post-service there will be essentially no noticeable difference, and if you keep on top of the lowers, then you dont loose much by going PE level….

Will you notice the difference between any of them…. hard to tell, maybe…
    Will it make any difference to your enjoyment, speed… no

BearBack
    Free Member

with remote, so no option to set it between the open and platform mode like on the non-remote option.

Other remotes are available – Scott use a 3 position remote on the grip(1) and the grip(1) damper has variable compression through the entire range of the top cap levers position. Fit4 is more sensitive to its middle setting lever position and it’s possible to miss the correct position with a remote.

Grip (1) has no low speed compression adjust in remote or lever versions. Black dial on top cap per fit4/grip2

moshimonster
    Free Member

I think setting them up properly and keeping them serviced is far more critical than Factory vs Perf spec. I would expect the Kashima coating to last longer, but I can’t say I’ve had any issues with the standard coatings. If you can easily afford the Factory spec then it gives you peace of mind (placebo) that you have the best setup, but otherwise I wouldn’t worry about it.

ratherbeintobago

I would expect the Kashima coating to last longer, but I can’t say I’ve had any issues with the standard coatings.

I had wondered about this one; haven’t had any issues so far with standard RS coatings.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Fox Factory vs Performance’ is closed to new replies.