• This topic has 21 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by bubs.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Fossil hunting with kids
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Isle of Wight or Lyme Regis?

My daughter would clearly love to find dinosaur bones but how likely is that really on the IoW ?

bubs

My kids love doing it on the IOW. We regularly fine petrified wood that looks really cool, ammonites and molluscs, corals and urchins. Dinosaur footprints on the beach are hard to beat too. Dinosaur bones less common but should be discoverable with luck and patience.

Ambrose

Trilobites in Llandeilo.

Torminalis
    Free Member

Kimmeridge after a decent storm.

bentandbroken

If you go to the Purbecks and don’t have any luck you can always visit fossil forest https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fossil_Forest,_Dorset
    On you way home (check the ranges are open first)

cbike
    Free Member

The beach at Loch Aline West coast of Scotland. Guaranteed devil’s toenails everywhere!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Youre southwales arent you? Pembroke slates. Got a few good trilobite’s there or watchett area on somerset coast for ammonites and cone shells

gwaelod
    Free Member

you can find ammonites at Dunraven Bay (Southerndown) Wander along east of the carpark and have a careful look in the grey slabs of rock (limestone) on the beach. Plenty there when you get your eye in. Stay away from rock faces themselves as they regularly drop stuff.

ctk
    Free Member

Loads of fossils on Glamorgan coast and a whole dinosaur skeleton found on a beach near penarth recently. Also dinosaur footprints on same beach .

molgrips
    Free Member

The point is to go for a holiday though, so somewhere other than where I live 🙂

Yak

Isle of Wight after a big storm would be best. Then reward yourself with a pub tea at the Buddle Inn at Niton.

Solo
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    The point is to go for a holiday though, so somewhere other than where I live

If you’re still travelling to the US semi regularly, couldn’t there be an opportunity to view/find fossils there? 

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, but I’ve got a week booked off around easter and we are planning to go away in the caravan. Gordon Bennet you lot.

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

Found some on first attempt at Seatown (not Seaton) in Dorset which is about half way between OP suggestions….

km79
    Free Member

Buy some on ebay before you go and then plant them somewhere once you get there for her to find.

That way you can go wherever you like and don’t need to worry about where might be good! 😀

CountZero

The whole Jurassic Coast is worth checking out, working east from Charmouth, but be very careful and don’t get too close to the cliffs, they’re very unstable and constantly falling. Get some geologists hammers from eBay or Amazon, and do a lot of pebble and rock bashing; the grey shale-like material often shows ammonites inside when you split them.
    Last time I was down there I got talking to a bloke who’d spent a fruitless couple of hours looking; I picked up several flat pieces that were by his side and bashed the edges with a pebble, most had ammonites inside! He was practically speechless.
    Just had a shufti on the webz and you can get 100gm children’s geologist hammers made by CK Tools for around a tenner on fleabay.

hopefiendboy

Tagged

bentandbroken
    bubs

Caravan here: http://www.bankendfarm.co.uk/camping.html

Beach at bottom of their land feels private and is good for fossils. Beach along military road for near certain fossil success.

Tea and cake at Botanic Gardens (adjoining their land).

Blackgang Chine for bizarre family fun but good with “moving” dinosaurs. Finish off with tobogganing at Robin Hill after a coastal pub lunch – sorted.

shuhockey
    Free Member

Filey bay towards the Brigg.

Drac

Blackgang Chine

😯 I thought that got wiped out years ago. Remembering going there as a kid when staying at my Aunty’s home near Lymington.

bubs

The landslide is one of the “attractions”. 🙂

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Fossil hunting with kids’ is closed to new replies.