Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Formula Oro K 18 issue
  • fd3chris
    Free Member

hi guys, I’ve been trying to bleed some k18 brakes that came on a second hand bike I got. The rear went well but the front had so much air in the m/c that I couldn’t get it out. After a while I noticed fluid seeping out of the m/c clamp? ?? so I took it off my bars and saw a small round hole in the body directly behind the main section and fluid was squirting out as I operated the lever. I’ve removed the rear m/c and it has the same hole but no leakage, is my front m/c throw away or fixable? Thanks, I hope someone has fixed this before!

LsD
    Free Member

Don’t know if ye’ve had a look or Formula’s site, but the docs such as exploded views may help….
    http://www.formula-brake.com/en/support/downloads/k18

Off the top of my head, I’d reckon it’ll be a missing/knackered seal or o-ring, if ye want to be adventurous and take them to bits. 😛

coatesy
    Free Member

Leaking diaphragm, seem to remember using a pair of circlip pliers to twist off the metal cap that holds it in place.

fd3chris
    Free Member

thanks for your help guys I now have to either take them apart or get another m/c, thanks again 🙂

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’ve tried to get to my diaphragm but mine seems to be held in place by two crushed metal inserts where the replacement kit shows Allen bolts so I cannot see a way to remove my old one, so if anyone has an old m/c or sale 😉

coatesy
    Free Member

Speak to the tech guys at Silverfish, they should be able to point you in the right direction for dismantling.

fd3chris
    Free Member

thanks I never thought of that, will do on Monday.

martinxyz
    Free Member

you shouldnt have to use much force at all.You might have forced it too much and burst it.These brakes can get fairly messy inside.The contamination of the fluid after a few years is wild.More so in these than in any other brake ive seen.Well worth flushing them out at least every 8-10 months-ish.

fd3chris
    Free Member

yes I have seen what you mean, while pushing the new fluid in the stuff coming out was a very odd colour and extremely cloudy.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Formula Oro K 18 issue’ is closed to new replies.