Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Formula brake lever and shimano shifter compatability issues?
  • haggis1978

hello, i read somewhere that some of the formula levers are a bit long for certain shifters namely the Oro style ones which share a similar shape to the levers on some of The Ones. does anyone run these combinations and if so can you advise me on it at all. am wondering whether or not i can get away with them all right given that on the bars i already have a shock lockout lever or should i hold out for a pair of the compact lever style Ones. cheers

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

They’re a bit fiddly yes, you can’t run the shifter very close to the lever, as the brake lever clamp design is stupid. But I’ve managed to get them to sit right Ok on two bikes – K18’s with XTs, and K24’s with XTR’s.

(not my pic:)

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/is-that-how-folk-are-setting-their-shifters-and-levers-looks-a-bit-odd-to-me#post-1823013

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/tech/?id=2006/reviews/oropuro

dan1980
    Free Member

The K18 and K24 levers are essentially the same (the K24 has a reach adjust dial thingamy but the housing is the same)

I’ve got SLX shifters to kind of work with the K series levers, but I needed to take the indicator window off.

timmys

ooh, ooh, that’s my bike!

Oro levers and Shimano shifters are not brilliant together if you want to run the brakes in board of the shifters (which is the correct way as any fule kno). Even with the windows off XT/SLX shifters are a bit chunky – it’s best to use it as an excuse to get some loverly XTR ones 🙂

wwaswas

ooh, ooh, that’s my bike!

and thus your pile of ‘I don’t know where to put them. Ooh, I know, no one will see them down here by the radiator.’ magazines?

neninja
    Free Member

I ran SLX with K18’s but had to remove the windows to make it work.

Now running RX with XTR and they fit with no interference at all.

timmys

and thus your pile of ‘I don’t know where to put them. Ooh, I know, no one will see them down here by the radiator.’ magazines?

Yes, bang to rights. There’s nothing more embarrassing than a pile of the girlfriends wedding magazines.

Also haters please note my Zesty is negotiating smooth wood flooring and hasn’t crumbled into dust.

mightymarmite
    Free Member

Ditto above, Xt no problem as can adjust the clamp position relative to the changer itself.

I couldn’t get a set of LX to play nice with some R1 levers though.

Why doesn’t an aftermarket company (are you listening Hope) make a system of clamps that work across the various platforms to marry sram + shimano, shimano + avids and Formulas + everyone !!!

budgierider67

I initially had my XT shifters & Oro K24 levers with the brakes outside but found it a bit of a stretch for my thumbs to shift with the levers set up for one finger.

I have moved them inside now and it is much better.
    It took a bit of fiddling but there is a channel on the top of the XT shifter body that the lever clamp sits in to bring them closer together.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Formula brake lever and shimano shifter compatability issues?’ is closed to new replies.